U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 09:50 PM

12,061 posts, read 11,644,298 times

Advertisements

Why do you hold the political beliefs that you do? Please take some time and reflect on the experiences or thoughts that shaped your current political philosophy and share them. At what point did your political view crystalize?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 09:58 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,195,297 times
I think getting my BA in History and Political Science caused me to really realize the destruction and ugliness of war. We read a lot of books and watched a lot of documentaries on the Civil War, WWI, Vietnam, Korean War and WWII. I realized that violence should be an absolute last resort to political conflicts as most of the people who die in wars are innocent civilians. Around this same time Bush was waging the war in Iraq, and I didn't think there was a good enough reason to do so. Then the truth came out that there were no WMDs and Repubs were still trying to defend it. A guy I played football with went to Iraq and died. My Aunt, who's son went, was so nervous about his well being she had a breakdown and had to get on pretty serious anti-anxiety meds. This all pushed me more against the war which pushed me further to the left.

Also, I have a heart condition that many athletes get which is abbreviated as LVH. Because of this I've had to deal with health insurance companies in a very negative light, who are more interested in their profits than my health care, and this turned me off from corporate health care.

Also, I'm an avid surfer and outdoorsman. In So Cal many beaches are virtually unswimmable now and the LA skyline is so smogged you can hardly see the mountains in the distance. This has caused me to support environmental policies more.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:02 PM

24,875 posts, read 21,897,290 times
Because I think through issues, understand reality, and find the best way to work within it.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:03 PM

15,352 posts, read 20,713,049 times
I'm independent, leaning liberal.

Liberal because I have been well-off and then poor and I know how difficult it is to be a poor person and I believe the government should help poor people (doesn't mean to give them a bag of money)

Independent because I came to the realization that all politicians use their so-called beliefs only to get votes.
In my book, all politicians are liars and corrupt.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:06 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,190,766 times
Reading history, reading opinions from people that hold various political views, and probably how I was raised as well.

I'm an independent soft libertarian. Like Dopo, I'm independent because I think having fealty to one party or another is narrow-minded and detrimental to the progress of our country. Soft libertarian because most of libertarianism just makes sense to me, but there are certain aspects that I think are too generous with regards to assumptions about human nature.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:14 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,735,691 times
I focus on facts rather than emotions. I consider and analyze each issue individually. I look at history and what worked best in the past and what didn't. I "label" myself socially moderate and fiscally conservative but, especially on social issues, I have opinions on specific issues all over the spectrum - some hardcore conservative, many in the middle, and even a few hardcore liberal.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:01 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,055,055 times
I became a Republican after Monica Lewinsky didn't have sex with Slick Willy.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-26-2011 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: lol. off topic

Old 11-25-2011, 11:26 PM

6,674 posts, read 10,458,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Why do you hold the political beliefs that you do? Please take some time and reflect on the experiences or thoughts that shaped your current political philosophy and share them. At what point did your political view crystalize?

Well, I'm african-american and I hold republican conservative beliefs. I came to this point after getting into a deeper relationship with God over the years. As I began to study the word (the Bible) and reflect on the beliefs of the majority of society and the world, I instantly knew I couldn't support nor be apart of the unrighteousness and corruption.

I never voted in politics because I was too young but from what my family and all the other black people I ever knew told me and I observed growing up was that the Democrats were OUR party and the republicans were racist and rich. Even so, I never took a solid position. I observed and kept quiet. I was never an Obama worshiper either. After I researched and educated myself as I turned legal voting age, I knew I had to figure out who and what I was going to vote for and support. I began to see that the republican party held and matched my beliefs in almost every way.

I began to see the hypocrisy of the Democrats and people in my own race and how we have this unnatural hatred towards people in a party we don't even know. I mostly saw this with the crazy things my mother used to say about Republicans. I knew I couldn't be apart of the foolishness any longer and I had to separate myself from that mentality that Democrats have brainwashed blacks with for generations. Ever since then, it's been history. Now I know who and what I'm going to vote for come 2012.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:37 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,044,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
My high school Civics teacher was Libertarian before Libertarian was cool. She instructed well and allowed us to develop our own beliefs. I liked the class so much I took advanced Civics.

Mrs. Clifton, a skinny old lady with long wirey gray hair and a kick your butt attitude.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:42 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,055,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well, I'm african-american and I hold republican conservative beliefs. I came to this point after getting into a deeper relationship with God over the years. As I began to study the word (the Bible) and reflect on the beliefs of the majority of society and the world, I instantly knew I couldn't support nor be apart of the unrighteousness and corruption.

I never voted in politics because I was too young but from what my family and all the other black people I ever knew told me and I observed growing up was that the Democrats were OUR party and the republicans were racist and rich. Even so, I never took a solid position. I observed and kept quiet. I was never an Obama worshiper either. After I researched and educated myself as I turned legal voting age, I knew I had to figure out who and what I was going to vote for and support. I began to see that the republican party held and matched my beliefs in almost every way.

I began to see the hypocrisy of the Democrats and people in my own race and how we have this unnatural hatred towards people in a party we don't even know. I mostly saw this with the crazy things my mother used to say about Republicans. I knew I couldn't be apart of the foolishness any longer and I had to separate myself from that mentality that Democrats have brainwashed blacks with for generations. Ever since then, it's been history. Now I know who and what I'm going to vote for come 2012.

Wow, that's a much better story than mine.

What's cool is that your life story is believable.

Your reasons to vote Obama out are valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies