Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:26 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
In other words, we're screwed.

---------------------------------

National Geographic News
November 9, 2011

The world has just five years to avoid being trapped in a scenario of perilous climate change and extreme weather events, the International Energy Agency (IEA) warned on Wednesday.

On current trends, "rising fossil energy use will lead to irreversible and potentially catastrophic climate change," the IEA concluded in its annual World Energy Outlook report.

"The door to 2.0 C is closing," it said, referring to the 2.0 Celsius (3.6 Fahrenheit) cap on global warming widely accepted by scientists and governments as the ceiling for averting unmanageable climate damage.

Without further action, by 2017 the total CO2 emissions compatible with the 2.0 C goal will be "locked in" by power plants, factories and other carbon-emitting sources either built or planned, the IEA said....continued

IEA Outlook: Time Running Out on Climate Change

World has five years to avoid severe warming: IEA - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/world-five-years-avoid-severe-warming-iea-170519443.html - broken link)

1. Perhaps you should be more concerned about social anarchy with a US national default.

2. NOTHING, from a climate standpoint, occurs in five years.

3. We are in a cyclical cooling phase. Relax- your global warming will change into concern for global cooling in five to ten years and you will have to rethink all the rationalizations (supporting the premise of global cooling) as to why the US should cut industrial production.

4. You should-
a. ride a bike to work
b. never take a flight
c. never use plastic products
d. stop using central heating and air conditioning
e. stop using electricity

If you are not doing all in #4, you are nothing but a hypocrite. Ask a liberal to actually take action for anything and you will be met with blank stares and looks of disbelief. Action is for the little people- not liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 07:28 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
World has five years to avoid severe warming...IEA

More BS.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:58 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
The point of the article is not that things will implode in 5 year, but the the excessive rates of greenhouse gas production will cause things to accelerate over time. It is not clear when big impacts will occur, but what if you blowhard are wrong? That was the point of the post upthread. You are playing Russian roulette with your kids' futures. That does not worry you at all?

All I am saying is fools rush in....

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 11-26-2011 at 11:09 PM..

Old 11-26-2011, 11:18 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
excessive rates of greenhouse gas production will cause things to accelerate over time. It is not clear when big impacts will occur ...You are playing Russian roulette with your kids' futures. That does not worry you at all?
Five years....It does worry me

David Bowie - Five Years (Dinah! 1976) - YouTube

Old 11-27-2011, 04:39 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
The point of the article is not that things will implode in 5 year, but the the excessive rates of greenhouse gas production will cause things to accelerate over time. It is not clear when big impacts will occur, but what if you blowhard are wrong? That was the point of the post upthread. You are playing Russian roulette with your kids' futures. That does not worry you at all?

All I am saying is fools rush in....
Ah... "what if"...

We can apply infinite scenarios of catastrophic circumstance ranging from just about any topic or scenario. We could go on and on simply based on "what if" and proclaim that action should be now, the details do not need to be known, certainty by any level need not be obtained, we should just act to be "safe", that is... why risk it?

Why not burn the witch and be sure that she can not seduce the village? Is not the loss, the hardship, the injustice, the strain a small price to pay to be sure?

This is the problem...

This is the reasoning of ignorance, of irrational fear, that of the mob being manipulated like sheep driven by a pack of wolves.

I think you need to read carefully and in great detail the Climategate emails, the data, about the people and the agencies, agenda groups, the money, the collusion, theft, and blatant lies.

If you can condone this, then you are either one of the sheep running in fear, or one of the wolves trying to steer them into the rest of the pack.

Last edited by Nomander; 11-27-2011 at 05:03 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 07:15 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Better start building dikes.
We already have....

Old 11-27-2011, 11:48 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Why post this here? This forum is full of people who are more likely to believe in the Rapture than global warming. And who believe conserving the seas or rainforest biodiversity is a liberal plot.
i believe both in the rapture, and in global climate change. i just dont believe that man is causing climate change. i believe in conservation, but i also believe that it has to be balanced with the needs of humans.

Quote:
I would correct the OP, we are not screwed, most of us will be dead before anything outlandish happens. Our kids are screwed. Yet, somehow laughing at science, parroting Limbaugh, and chortling and slapping each other on the back as we act like ignorant pigs is "patriotic." Amazing.
i dont laugh at real science, i laugh at faux science. and as far as i am concerned those that claim that man is causing climate change are practicing faux science because the geological record does not support their claims. understand that we do not know that actual proper mean temperature because we only have a few hundred years of temperature measurements as compared to 4.5 billion years of geological data that tells us the mean temperature should be higher than the scientific standard of 70 degrees F.

if we were to really look back at the geological history of the planet we will find times when there were NO glaciers, OR polar ice, and we will even find a time when the entire planet was covered with ice as little at 1 mile thick at the equator. we are only about 15,000 years out of the last ice age, which lasted 125,000 years, and just before that ice age hit there was no polar ice in the arctic in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
2. NOTHING, from a climate standpoint, occurs in five years.
that isnt quite true. for instance when the last major ice age ended, it did so in less than ten years. after that time we had dramatic climate changes that happened in as little as one year, and would last for 3-5 years before the next change occurred.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:57 AM

386 posts, read 232,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
We already have....

Bulldikes.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:54 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,223 times
This young lady reminds me daily I must do my part to prevent DOOMSDAY!!

I am going to buy a Chevy Volt when my credit score is better.

The girl who silenced the world for 5 minutes - YouTube

Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Better start building dikes.
I'm protected, my neighborhood is full of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies