Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Well, having spent most of my life in the 'burbs . . . I don't understand how anyone could feel isolated . . . neighborhoods are usually designed so that folks interact a lot, especially at the street level (walking, biking, out w/ dogs) or at the backyard level ("over the fence" neighbors) . . . plus the conveniences around the burbs (retail, restaurants, box stores, salons, medical, etc.) . . . people see the same faces frequently. Then you have neighborhood schools, so the kids all know one another . . .

I don't see the isolation factor, myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 06:13 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
suburbia is for anti social people afraid to communicate with anyone that doesnt look or sound like them.
Even on this forum, this statement stands out as utter and complete nonsense.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Even on this forum, this statement stands out as utter and complete nonsense.
Agree. The burbs in any given city reflect the makeup of the demographics of the whole area. I am in Charlotte, NC and my neighborhood has folks from different countries, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientation, age groups . . . I guess everyone is like me in the sense that we are all human beings, lol.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:17 PM

521 posts, read 466,965 times
The city is crime ridden, overcrowded, and dirty. I'm pretty sure more people are depressed living in the roach infested inner city than they are living in a clean civilized suburb. Liberal utopias lol

Old 11-26-2011, 06:20 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
suburbia is for anti social people afraid to communicate with anyone that doesnt look or sound like them.

ive lived in the burbs my whole life
Nothing like expert wisdom on the differences of suburbanites from someone who has little experience with anything else.

I currently live in a suburb, but have also lived in downtown Washington DC and Bangkok Thailand. It is cute to see you peg me as afraid to communicate with anyone that doesn't look or sound like me.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And I'm perfectly happy perched up on the side of a mountain without suburbia to deal with. Go figure...
Ditto that. Live up high on a hillside with huge mountains right behind us. Suburbia is quite a distance away, and the cluster@^%$ that is known as the city is even further. I couldn't be happier.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:17 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Quote:

ive lived in the burbs my whole life, cant wait to get out into the country or into the city.

its essentially a bunch of miserable people living out boring lives. no excitement or thrill for most of them.
On the other hand

Descendents - Suburban Home - YouTube

Old 11-26-2011, 07:26 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
Quote:

ive lived in the burbs my whole life, cant wait to get out into the country or into the city.

its essentially a bunch of miserable people living out boring lives. no excitement or thrill for most of them.

There's nothing to do in the suburbs. Maybe an exciting night out consists of eating dinner at Denny's and renting a DVD. Or sit in front of your 52" LCD 500 channel TV screen and vegetate for a few hours. Then once a year look forward to a big shopping spree at Walmart on black friday. And pray you don't get trampled. The thrill of a lifetime for a typical suburbanite! Which is why you can never have enough Prozac on hand, which can be purchased by the caseload at your local Walgreens pharmacy, conveniently enough.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:43 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
I agree that living in the suburbs or country can be isolating and depressing, if you let it be. People just need to exercise, take up a hobby, socialize with friends, read more and turn off the television. That would help us all, no matter where you live.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:45 PM

730 posts, read 827,851 times
it's an american problem because more american cities were designed after the automobile was created, whereas cities in europe were designed centuries ago. Having traveled in europe, there is no american city that can really compare to any of their cities (including NYC). I prefer the european life style, not necissarily for the interaction, but because it promotes density, which leads to walkability, easier travel in-between cities (train), and easier access to entertainment.

The american mindset is very different from most people in other countries. Americans in general prefer big houses, big lawns, big cars, big whatever. Moreover, our population is not as homogenious as most (if not all) other countiries. As such, suburbia became a popular destination for families to settle down in, either to get away from inner-city minorities or to get their big piece of property. I am starting to see a shift, however, in this mindset. It seems to me that town squares are becomming more porpular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies