Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why some here would like to see a warmer Earth is beyond me.
I hate winter. I'm in favor of warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:45 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
You agree with this study because you think (hope) that it agrees with your position. That's not how science works, tots.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why some here would like to see a warmer Earth is beyond me. Warmer air means more evaporation, more drought, more desert. Sure, some of the water will come down again as precipitation, but we can't guide where, when and in which way it comes down.
I think humanity has thrived the way it has because the temps have been within a certain range for quite some time now.
Heat as such is no fun, go ask Africans, it brings all kinds of disadvantages, many bugs for instance like heat.
It is easier to protect ourselves from cold than from hot weather. We can simply wear more clothes and build better homes, but fighting heat mostly involves using A/C and thus more energy. Where would Texas be today without A/C?
I guess ever since we switched from hunting and gathering to agriculture, we have become dependent on a rather narrow temperature range.
Texas in warmer weather becomes a problem, sure... it can't support the massive amounts of people it does if we have a continual la nina type effect here. This is where you get the dust bowls and the like, but make no mistake, while certain specific areas may have harsher circumstances, a warmer climate opens up potential in far more areas.

So yes, there is bad with the good, but there is far more good with a warming climate than a cooling one. Humans are amazing creatures, we can adapt and migrate as needed. If we could not, then... well... we would have died off years ago. The point is, in a warming climate, we are much more likely to thrive than in a cooling one as all of the evidence points out and as I said, yes, some areas will have to move or adapt, but other areas will become more fertile in the same.

Life is an interesting thing. Those who understand change and adapt thrive, those who do not... well... they end up in a text somewhere as some extinct civilization that failed.

One last thing, don't mistake the behavior of "civilized" people as the poster board for humanity. Civilizations come and go and those who can not handle "nature" in its adaption die off, this is why so many are considered fodder when you consider the protections a "civilized" society provides. That is, they would not exist in nature as they would be purged through the process of its harshness.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:50 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
You agree with this study because you think (hope) that it agrees with your position. That's not how science works, tots.
Oh but, you think "consensus" has a place in science? Even when there really is NO consensus?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:29 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A surprising amount of fruits and vegetables are grown in the Imperial Valley of California, where the high temperatures are 105°F – 110°F and it is bone dry. With enough irrigation, anything is possible.

There's a golf course in Death Valley.
Well, that area is lucky enough to be part of a state/country that has lots of water elsewhere so it can be redirected there. Many places around the world are not as lucky.
They also grow cotton in Kenya, but does it make sense when at the same time many Kenyans hardly have enough water to drink and wash?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:36 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Texas in warmer weather becomes a problem, sure... it can't support the massive amounts of people it does if we have a continual la nina type effect here. This is where you get the dust bowls and the like, but make no mistake, while certain specific areas may have harsher circumstances, a warmer climate opens up potential in far more areas.

So yes, there is bad with the good, but there is far more good with a warming climate than a cooling one. Humans are amazing creatures, we can adapt and migrate as needed. If we could not, then... well... we would have died off years ago. The point is, in a warming climate, we are much more likely to thrive than in a cooling one as all of the evidence points out and as I said, yes, some areas will have to move or adapt, but other areas will become more fertile in the same.

Life is an interesting thing. Those who understand change and adapt thrive, those who do not... well... they end up in a text somewhere as some extinct civilization that failed.

One last thing, don't mistake the behavior of "civilized" people as the poster board for humanity. Civilizations come and go and those who can not handle "nature" in its adaption die off, this is why so many are considered fodder when you consider the protections a "civilized" society provides. That is, they would not exist in nature as they would be purged through the process of its harshness.
Most people can't migrate because of borders. Most countries are way smaller than the US or Canada or Russia. There is no point in migrating within countries such as Chad or Niger etc. Many countries are also not as varied so they don't have parts where there is enough rain so they could redirect the water to where it is needed. Others simply don't have the material to build such infrastructure, nor the money to import it.
It is easy for us to say people have to adapt as we are fortunate to live in big countries/unions where people can migrate and which will also by and large benefit from a warming climate. Most other countries won't.
Nor do I have your contempt for humans, to me every human is equally important, so I do care if people in Africa are in trouble. I am not a social Darwinist. Humans do so many things that are not natural, like taking care of the weak and handicapped etc. And that is a good trait that separates us from animals. While we used to be a bit like that thousands of years ago, we have come to develop and appreciate the diversity of mankind, which is why we try to conserve all kinds of cultural things such as languages etc.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:56 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I hate winter. I'm in favor of warmer.
I love Alaskan winters for two reasons:
  1. It is the second prettiest season of the year (fall is the prettiest); and
  2. All the tourists go home and Alaskans finally get their State back.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:33 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

A large percentage of the population of the world lives within a few miles of the coastline, populations in Asia and Africa will be wiped out not to mention the devastation on the rest of civilized countries. The population is far greater than in the past with resources in short supply, how do you "adapt" in a third world country when your means of survival dissapear. The world is 2/3 water and growing, not a good thing.

What would be your adaptation plan if you lived in a coastal 3rd world country and your home dissapears, move to texas.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,704 times
Actually, the OP may be far more correct than anyone realizes, but not for the reasons he stated. Over the last 30 some years, the temperature of the sun has been increasing, and as a result, it is warming the earth more than it had been.

Brightening Sun is Warming Earth

I remember, back when Paul Harvey was on the air, he stated that during the last ice age, the average temperature of the earth was only 3 degrees colder than it was around 1990. That means that just a degree will have quite an effect. Over the last 30 years, it's gone up a couple of tenths of a degree because of the heat from the sun has increased.

So, now I have an interesting thought for you all. If the CO2 blocks the heat from being radiated into space, doesn't it also block some of the sun's heat from reaching earth?

BBC News | SCI/TECH | Sun's warming influence 'under-estimated'

And, if the effect of the sun is being under estimated, perhaps, the CO2 isn't having any warming effect at all. Maybe that's what's keeping us from getting even warmer.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Ahh, the global warming hoax.

I remember when I was in grade school many years ago. Back then, the left's scare tactic was to say that all the rain forests would be gone by 2000. They were wrong then, as usual. There's always fearmongering from the left, and the implication is always that the United States and western civilization are BAD. I don't know why they hate America so much. Sad.

It is called crisis capitalism.

Never let a crisis we create go to waste - Ralm Emanuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies