Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:30 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Bullsh*t. Limbaugh is the most powerful Republican in the party. He has consistently backed down one conservative after another with impunity. Witness the Michael Steele incident. Limbaugh's power lies in the fact that he DOESN'T run for office. Talk about political naivete?
Riiight. Steele was the wrong choice as it turned out, told him so at the time.
We went after Lieberman because he lost his primary fair and square. The Democratic Party paid good damn money to get him the victory in his primary, gave him an endorsement, and everything else. It's not the national Democrats fault that he lost that primary because the Democrats in Connecticut didn't want him. Once he lost his primary, it was the DUTY of Democrats to support his opponent since he lost.
Incorrect. Lieberman won the backing of the state's Democratic Convention but the Party leaders declined to endorse him which set up the primary.

So he ran as an independent, and won. Great. But then, he decided to turn on the party simply because he lost his primary when the party supported him in his primary.

Furthermore, he just couldn't help himself. Supporting John McCain was fine...his right to do. But he decided to trash Obama in the election while still hoping to hold on to his choice committee assignments given to him by the Democratic Party even though he was no longer in the party. Well guess what? Obama won!! Lieberman's ass was hanging out there and Harry Reid was gonna put on a steel boot and kick it as hard as he could, and i wish like hell he would've.
So it's ok for Powell to do it but not ok for Lieberman. There's that "H" word again. If I recall Lieberman expected to lose his Committee assignments but to caucus with the Democrats, which as far as I know he still does.

The ONLY reason why Reid didn't relegate him to the status of a backbencher was because Obama intervened and asked Reid not to demote him. In other words, the only magnanimity Lieberman ever received was from Obama himself, otherwise, he'd be a nobody in the Senate.

So don't preach to me about Lieberman.

Deal. Don't preach to me about Powell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 02:37 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Smart man that Colin Powell, will make a good President if he ever decides to run for the job..

Old 11-27-2011, 02:40 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Why are you quoting Powell, I thought you libs claimed he was a token black, Uncle Tom? What next, you going to quote Clarence Thomas?

Who said that? Powell is an intelligent, sensible man. He could have been elected as the first black president with broad bipartisan support. He chose not to run for personal reasons. The fact that he had issues with Rumsfield and Cheney shows he was sensible. There is no way that Powell is cut of the same mediocre cloth as Clarence Thomas or Herman Cain.

I think Democrats appreciated moderate conservatives generally, as they demonstrate some independence of thought.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:45 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No where else did Powell rip down another conservative as he did Palin who was running against a black man? If the shoe fits... and it fits well.
I know many Republicans who have called Palin an idiot. I know a ex marine Republican who considers her a moron. It had nothing to do with her race, but nice attempt at race baiting. Try again, use the gender card next time.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
I find it funny that a poster who puts up one troll thread after, filled with snarky name-calling & baiting, and anything else that might incite division, now cites Powell as his oracle.

At the video linked by the OP at thehill.com, Powell says this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell
"The tone is not good right now..." The two sides, D & R, are "focusing more and more on their extreme left and extreme right...and we have to come back to the center."
Hmmm, could there be a lesson in their for Savoir Faire?? I think yes, but no doubt he completely missed it, seeing only Powell's criticism of the Tea Party. Go back and listen to the video you posted, SF, and this time contemplate the entire message, not just a tiny snippet you pick out to support your trollery.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:04 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Powell is the one conservative that I would most definitely vote for. Too bad that Bush screwed him over. He will probably never run because of the treatment and lies he was forced to repeat for Bush.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:07 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No where else did Powell rip down another conservative as he did Palin who was running against a black man?.
Sorry but Palin was not running against a black man, McCain was.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:07 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times

Things to consider-

1. Romney and Gingrich are not tea party candidates.

2. Powell supported Obama in 2008

End of story

Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Deal. Don't preach to me about Powell.
Wrong incident on Steele. Has nothing to do with him getting the RNC job.

Steele made the mistake of saying that Limbaugh was only an entertainer.

Limbaugh proceeded to destroy him on his radio show...badly. Humiliated him. Next thing you know, Steele was backtracking, apologizing, shoe shining, tap dancing, shuffling, head scratching, buckdancing, and saying his "Yassuh Massuh's!" Limbaugh put him in full Stepin Fetchit mode....it was embarrassing to see a black man allow himself to be humiliated like that. I will never forget the incident.

As for Lieberman, he didn't get STRONG support, but he got support. And he still got all the financial support that he was supposed to get as the senate candidate. Still though, he got to keep his plum committee assignments and even his plush office because of Obama. Reid made it quite clear that he planned to take it all.

The Democratic Party has been good to Joe Lieberman and has received NOTHING in return.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:21 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Powell also warned against going to Libya, and mid-way thru Obama's first term, Powell warned about the dangers of running massive deficits in comments that were widely reported. Doubtless those comments were brushed aside by Obama supporters.

So what is the underlying point of quoting Powell? It's not that "hey people listen to what Colin Powell has to say; here's a Republican with a unique perspective & some interesting points." No, it's more like "hey Colin Powell said something that feeds right into my agenda, and I'm gonna quote him."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies