Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
If Palin had once - just ONCE - said anything of substance or consequence then she would be deserving of constructive criticism. As it was she chose to consistently take the low road of cheap shots and thus ended up in the battlefield where the most flattering criticism she can expect is to be called a moron.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap!
It's funny how many of these posts so perfectly illustrate the point I was trying to make. You accuse her of cheap shots, but not only do you not provide a good example, you don't even bother to try. Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 05:41 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I would argue that a 90%+ rate vs. a 20-40 pct rate does suggest a qualitatively different mentality. But granted, that is just my take.

Suppose, as you claim, 'Palin and Bachmann's words have been parsed a thousand and one times." In the first place, I doubt that. It's rare to see either Palin or Bachmann even quoted. But even if that's true, what then is the point in continuing to talk about them? Bachmann is polling at around 5%, and Palin's not even running. Could it be that you just proved my point? There's a thread about one or the other at least once every three days? Why?
They are not quoted ANYMORE. Were you not around for the last presidential election? Palin's whole life, and every utterance, was under the microscope well past the end of voting. Michelle Bachman has had whole threads devoted to quotes and speeches as well.

Now mind you, ITA that some of it wasn't fair, esp with Palin. I don't care what her daughters do. That stuff about her youngest not being hers was beyond stupid. The search for "dirt" was crazily excessive... Remember frenzy around the emails? And blaming her for the Arizona shooter was disingenuous at best. But she also gave a series of incredibly horrendous interviews, frequently seems to miss facts, screamed victim every time anyone criticized her, mocks people who disagree with her, etc. it's all been talked about to death. I don't know how you could miss it!

But hey, you like her. She has a solid following, so there's that.

Anyway, Lindsey Lohan also gets breathless coverage of her every move and lots of comments on message boards, but people don't type a 12 point research paper with references every time they call her a drug addict in the comments section. At this point, everyone has heard it all before. We all know the reasons why some folks feel that way by now, no need for the rehash.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Bachmann and Palin just has to open their mouths to make themselves look dumber. I thought conservatives were all about personal responsibility. Funny how that goes out the window after the two nitwits utter a few sentences.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
They are not quoted ANYMORE. Were you not around for the last presidential election? Palin's whole life, and every utterance, was under the microscope well past the end of voting. Michelle Bachman has had whole threads devoted to quotes and speeches as well.

Now mind you, ITA that some of it wasn't fair, esp with Palin. I don't care what her daughters do. That stuff about her youngest not being hers was beyond stupid. The search for "dirt" was crazily excessive... Remember frenzy around the emails? And blaming her for the Arizona shooter was disingenuous at best. But she also gave a series of incredibly horrendous interviews, frequently seems to miss facts, screamed victim every time anyone criticized her, mocks people who disagree with her, etc. it's all been talked about to death. I don't know how you could miss it!

But hey, you like her. She has a solid following, so there's that.

Anyway, Lindsey Lohan also gets breathless coverage of her every move and lots of comments on message boards, but people don't type a 12 point research paper with references every time they call her a drug addict in the comments section. At this point, everyone has heard it all before. We all know the reasons why some folks feel that way by now, no need for the rehash.

Well you seem to have a pretty reasoned outlook towards Palin. The Couric & Gibson interviews (I assume that's what you refer to) were three years ago. At the time I watched, and the Couric interview at least bothered me as much as the next guy. But it was 3 years ago. If Palin critics are still talking about those interviews (via 'shorthand') it's time to either shut or, or move on to some of her later material.

The comparison between Lohan and Palin is apt. I think the same thought process is involved among many of those obsessed with both of those public figures.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Sure, there is plenty of name-calling against Obama. But try this little exercise: Search for 'Palin' in PO&C, and take the first 10 anti-Palin posts. You'll probably find that 9 of 10 anti-Palin posts have no substance, just name calling.

Then search for 'Obama' and take the first 10 anti-Obama posts that you find. I think you'll find that most of them have some semblance of substance beyond just name-calling. The rate of pure name-calling post is under 50%, probably closer to 30. By contrast, with Palin the rate is 90%, probably higher over the long haul.

Bottom line, the 'moral equivalence' argument does not work here.
Why this sudden interest in Palin again? She's not running for anything. She long overshot her 15 min. of fame, but thank G** she's out of the political picture!

Old 11-27-2011, 06:28 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
I do not like name calling either way.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:33 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why this sudden interest in Palin again? She's not running for anything. She long overshot her 15 min. of fame, but thank G** she's out of the political picture!
I for one am glad we wont see MSM talking about "moose chili " and her bizarre family....that fiasco is the main reason I stream real news now and save 300.00 a month by not subscribing to DirectTv

she's done. next.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:40 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
I did a simple search on Palin in P&OC, and looked at the top few results. Almost every post had no substance, just someone calling her 'moron,' 'stupid,' 'idiot' etc. No quotes from her, no criticism of one of her statements, whether spoken or written. No discussion of where she was wrong. Just simple name calling.

One exception was a thread where a poster 'MB1547' links to a piece by Palin in the WSJ, and miracle of miracles, a bunch of lefties find themselves agreeing with what she wrote. Nice post by MB, who says that he/she "can't stand" Palin, but nonetheless is willing to listen thoughtfully.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ying-wall.html

What I find interesting about this is that Palin has been on this theme for a long time now. But obviously, almost none of these lefty posters, with all the time they spend on Palin, knew that this was one of her themes.

And again, that thread was an exception. Nearly every other post was just name-calling. I wonder if people ever stop to realize how name-calling tends to make the name-caller look dumb? It exposes that he/she doesn't have any ideas, facts, nor logic in their brain. All they seem to have is a simple, lizard-like animus towards their political opponents.

I'm not saying that they are inherently dumb; I'm sure many of the name-callers are quite intelligent. But I am saying that they've bought into a mentality that, at best, leaves them coming off as dumb.
Why did you chose Palin and Bachmann?????

Calling other people names isn't dumb?

Calling people you support names is dumb?

""""All they seem to have is a simple, lizard-like animus towards their political opponents.""""

Sounds just like Palin(The Has Been) and Bachmann (The Wannabee But Won't Be).

Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's that Repug NON-Obssession with Palin....LOL!

Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
I was looking for a crying towel for the OP but couldn't find one, must be in the wash....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies