Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Nope ... Kyl said today that the GOP offered tax increased as part of the negotiations despite that agreement that was signed years ago.
They offered decreasing some of the deductions that are allowed in exchange for decreasing the top tax rates. The result would have been increases in taxes for many middle class while decreasing taxes on the wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Excellent. Way to call those Pubs on their utter nonsense.

I think it's pretty clear now. What President Obama wants is absolutely right for this country.

What republicans want is detrimental to the country and serves only a privileged few.
They want the economy to tank. They want Obama to fail. Their number one goal is defeating him. I wish the GOP could redirect their energy to actually improving the country, but they think Obama will get all of the credit.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
They offered decreasing some of the deductions that are allowed in exchange for decreasing the top tax rates. The result would have been increases in taxes for many middle class while decreasing taxes on the wealthy.
I thought you were all for getting rid of loopholes

Old 11-27-2011, 07:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Excellent. Way to call those Pubs on their utter nonsense.
Another liberal who cant follow the thread because I didnt say it
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
The country goes to Hell while the people who are supposedly there to make it better/get it back on track are just carefully guarding their political career.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
They want the economy to tank. They want Obama to fail. Their number one goal is defeating him. I wish the GOP could redirect their energy to actually improving the country, but they think Obama will get all of the credit.
Well Obama and the Dems had 2 years and didn't reign in any spending, didn't implement any cuts in programs, didn't initiate any new taxes.

But they would do that all THIS year if it weren't for the Republican majority in the House ?

The economy is going to tank anyway..it's a global recession in case you haven't noticed.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:56 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I thought you were all for getting rid of loopholes
Not when its combined with sharp decreases in the tax rate for the wealthy and those loopholes also impact the middle class. Its a tax raise on the middle class in order to decrease taxes on the wealthy.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well Obama and the Dems had 2 years and didn't reign in any spending, didn't implement any cuts in programs, didn't initiate any new taxes.

But they would do that all THIS year if it weren't for the Republican majority in the House ?

The economy is going to tank anyway..it's a global recession in case you haven't noticed.
I think that the global economy is supposed to expand again next year. It won't be robust growth, but I don't see anyone predicting global economic contraction.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:31 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
What are you talking about. Obama is the leader of the country. It's Obama who needs to take action to fix our economy. That's BS to say the republican's want to see the economy fail. If Obama wanted to take action to get the country back on track he would stop the 5 billion per day deficit spending. He would stop giving corrupt loans to his crony supporters. He would stop making all the policy changes that stifle business.

Obama has done nothing to improve our situation. Everything he has done has resulted in job losses, more spending and making our country more dependent on foreign energy.

I dare you to list 10 legitimate things Obama has done to turn around the economic crisis? Explain why he needs to continue 5 billion per day deficit spending?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:34 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
I think that the global economy is supposed to expand again next year. It won't be robust growth, but I don't see anyone predicting global economic contraction.
Where do you get your information? The EU is going down as we speak and will significantly impact us as well ... and you think the global economy is going to expand next year? All the economist disagree with you.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
If they had agreed to tax rises, they would be open to charges of reneging on the pledges they gave to Norquist, potentially damaging when they stand for re-election.
That's American politics. The country goes to Hell while the people who are supposedly there to make it better/get it back on track are just carefully guarding their political career.
In your history over the last 80 years, you have raised taxes 3 times during periods of economic strife or instability.

The results were one [great] depression, one severe recession, and one recession.

A Republican-controlled House and Senate was responsible for the Great Depression, and a Republican-controlled House and president for a recession (a Democrat-controlled House and Senate and president caused the other).

Twice, Republican presidents lost re-election due to the fact that their party raised taxes and caused either a recession or depression.

If you haven't figured it out, the Republicans are just a tad bit reluctant to raise taxes, given the fact that historically in the US (and other countries) raising taxes during periods of economic strife and instability has always without exception led to recessions or depressions.

And let's face it, if the Republicans raise taxes, and then there is a recession, you'll be frothing at the mouth and spitting all over everyone pointing your finger at Republicans and blaming them for doing exactly what you wanted done.

Sorry, but that's American politics.

Quote:
Then why did the GOP turn down his offer to cut 4 trillion over 10 years?
He cut the wrong $4 TRILLION, and $400 Billion a year for 10 years would leave you in a worse economic position that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Signed,
B. Obama
Yeah, except Tuesday never comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah, but we got the Reichsministry for School Nutrition; another layer of unnecessary bureaucracy to over see-three layers of bureaucracy at the State, county and local school board level.

That's gotta be worth something, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies