Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 02:31 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think everyone will go around and around on this and finally face the fact that there will always be homeless and poor people. We can't solve that. Society and the government CAN provide basic services to everyone, and I'd like to see a single payor health care option included in that, but can really only offer up opportunities and jobs. That's it. Some will not make it or survive or live well....and there isn't a darn thing we can do about that.
Here, here. Heard an interesting radio program this weekend, talking about how liberals think poverty is ONLY about money. That if you just give people money, they won't be poor.

Problem is, they will be. Because poverty is a lifestyle (single parenthood, "baby-daddy-epidemic", drugs, high school dropouts, prison). No amount of money can change that - only they can change their lives.

As for "poor" - the definition of poor is so skewed, to make the "masses" think we're all poor, it's sickening. The so-called poor in this country usually have a car, air conditioning, a television, cable, a smartphone and eat out frequently. Hardly what is truly "poor".

No child in this country has EVER died of hunger, unless their parents CHOSE not to get help. But the chicken littles would love to make people think that.

And for the record, I think we need to keep our money here, and not send it overseas, to help countries that try to destroy us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 02:54 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
If you don't need the list then why did you ask?

Oh please.....people sit back cry out patriotism and fund wars, nation building and feeding others worlds away and say NOTHING! But you let those here at home in our very own country need help, need a lift up and then heaven forbid! They are useless, don't tell me to give, ask. More idiotic rhetoric.....

Did you tell babybush that he must ask you to fund these wars??? Doubt it.
You were forced and not a peep was said..like lambs to the slaughter. Only in this county can people give thanks and be full of grace and the next toss their fellow country-men out with the bath water.
Where did I ask for a list? Show me, in my post, where I said, "list off everything you have done to help the poor". I gave an EXAMPLE of what people could do, ie: buy extra food at the store and give to the homeless.

And if you had any clue about my patriotism, you would never have said that to me. I am NOT for funding wars. Further, America gives to its own people, not just other countries.

Again, know what you're talking about before you try to "guilt" someone in to doing anything.

Again!!!! The POINT is, that you CONTINUE to deflect, is that people should not be FORCED to give anything.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:56 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not like being forced to pay for the Corporate welfare we call the War in Afghanistan or anywhere else. If the government is going to force me to pay for something I would prefer it to be some destitute children here instead of creating orphans half a world away.
I agree with your first statement.

I do not agree that the government should force people to pay for any welfare.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:57 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
The only "fail" here are those with their heads in the sand and limited understanding of what has happened to families in the past few years.

Stephen Raburn: Number of Homeless Families and Children on the Rise in US: National Disgrace
Oh boy, an activist bleeding heart blog

As I posted before, these people know exactly what to write to pull on the heartstrings...

Last edited by plwhit; 11-28-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Having a choice is one thing, including the insertion of an IUD by an authorized doctor under the welfare program, with periodical checkups to insure that it had not been removed.

Mandating sterlization is something else.

In reality, what would the government do with thousands upon thousands of women and children if they were put off of welfare because the mother refused to make a choice or get thrown off of welfare because they had a child?
Ask the Chinese women...

What would the government do?

Let them die...

Last edited by plwhit; 11-28-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 03:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
As I watched the segment on 60 minutes about this, I had a few ideas to help these people. One of the things that we should look into is maybe using shuttered military bases to house them. The bases could be used to house families and, at the very least, provide a safe place with sanitary facilities and laundry for those living on the streets in vehicles. Small apartments and/or RV type FEMA trailers could be erected to provide the families a safe space to live in where they would have access to shower, wash clothes and see a doctor if need be. The children could be provided a libarary and computer lab to do homework. Adults could spend days looking for work or training for another job while kids are in school. And it really would not cost that much because the government already owns the land. What ideas do you have to help the homeless family living in cars? Or do you think that they should be helped at all?
Can you provide the link (60 Minutes) for this story? They have done more than one. Thanks.]]

Edit: found it, from last Sunday night.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Can you provide the link (60 Minutes) for this story? They have done more than one. Thanks.
I can't link it from the app but if you go to the website or the CBS news FB page it is linked there.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Feel convicted or something?
Many of us in here have done, will do and currently are doing what we can.
Oh? could you share with us how you verified that "many of us here" outside of what they tap on their keyboards?

Of course we all know <wink> it's always truthful....

Quote:
Some will do, some will bytch about doing and the others as clearly seen here will sit and be keyboard commandos as they sit in their invory towers and talk about the wrong the parents did to cause the problem, blah...blah.....and how there were no other factors outside of "them" that caused it...I call bs and stand by the statement the humanity and compassion in this board is a sad testament to today's arrogant society.
There comes a point in time where people because of the nanny state and bleeding hearts loose all interest in fending for themselves and their children, witness America 2011...

As I posted earlier, you and your bleeding heart friends here on C-D want to contribute to the homeless?

Go right ahead, just don't try and make a law that takes money out of my wallet to pay for your concerns...

This is not about arrogance, this is about people not taking responsibility for their own lives/families, not planning down the road, not understanding that their frolicking in bed results in babies that cost mucho dollars (they'll worry about the baby later, the sex feels too good)...

Old 11-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Did any of the bleeding hearts here catch another 60 Minutes segment (before they became the Bleeding Hearts Club) on the homeless living in their cars and why?

One of the classic replies to the question was:

I used to have a job in marketing making over $200,000 a year promoting actors and actresses...

I am not going to take a job that is below what I was making before, my daughter and I will just tough it out...

BAWAHHH, poor woman and daughter....

Last edited by plwhit; 11-28-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 03:55 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Who in the hell here is talking about making laws???? Do you stop and think before you type or does idiocracy come that easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Oh? could you share with us how you verified that "many of us here" outside of what they tap on their keyboards?

Of course we all know <wink> it's always truthful....

There comes a point in time where people because of the nanny state and bleeding hearts loose all interest in fending for themselves and their children, witness America 2011...

As I posted earlier, you and your bleeding heart friends here on C-D want to contribute to the homeless?

Go right ahead, just don't try and make a law that takes money out of my wallet to pay for your concerns...

This is not about arrogance, this is about people not taking responsibility for their own lives/families, not planning down the road, not understanding that their frolicking in bed results in babies that cost mucho dollars (they'll worry about the baby later, the sex feels too good)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies