Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:24 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,987 times

Advertisements

As I watched the segment on 60 minutes about this, I had a few ideas to help these people. One of the things that we should look into is maybe using shuttered military bases to house them. The bases could be used to house families and, at the very least, provide a safe place with sanitary facilities and laundry for those living on the streets in vehicles. Small apartments and/or RV type FEMA trailers could be erected to provide the families a safe space to live in where they would have access to shower, wash clothes and see a doctor if need be. The children could be provided a libarary and computer lab to do homework. Adults could spend days looking for work or training for another job while kids are in school. And it really would not cost that much because the government already owns the land. What ideas do you have to help the homeless family living in cars? Or do you think that they should be helped at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:41 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
I've been on this forum for a while, so I have "learned" what the answer, apparently, should be:

It's their problem, not mine. Why should my tax dollars help these people? Let private charities take care of them. There, done.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Let the people who's hearts bleed for the homeless pay for their housing, food and medical...

Issue resolved, everyone's happy...

Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Of course we should help them. As you mentioned using shuttered bases or buildings would be a great resource.

This was such a touching story, very sobering, very humbling.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Of course we should help them. As you mentioned using shuttered bases or buildings would be a great resource.

This was such a touching story, very sobering, very humbling.
Yes, writers know exactly how to compose a story to appeal to a certain segment of the population don't they?

Old 11-27-2011, 06:50 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Let the people who's hearts bleed for the homeless pay for their housing, food and medical...

Issue resolved, everyone's happy...
Or you could go the Obama route and just mandate that everyone buy a house.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:51 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
At this point, we basically need something like the WPA to hire the unemployed to do public works jobs. There's just not enough job openings to bring down unemployment. I think that is better than telling these people to just **** off.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:52 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
As I watched the segment on 60 minutes about this, I had a few ideas to help these people. One of the things that we should look into is maybe using shuttered military bases to house them. The bases could be used to house families and, at the very least, provide a safe place with sanitary facilities and laundry for those living on the streets in vehicles. Small apartments and/or RV type FEMA trailers could be erected to provide the families a safe space to live in where they would have access to shower, wash clothes and see a doctor if need be. The children could be provided a libarary and computer lab to do homework. Adults could spend days looking for work or training for another job while kids are in school. And it really would not cost that much because the government already owns the land. What ideas do you have to help the homeless family living in cars? Or do you think that they should be helped at all?

I think you have got some very good ideas there. Reps to you. Good segment on 60 Minutes.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:55 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Sell the kids on Craigslist.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:55 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sell the kids on Craigslist.
And/or turn them into soylent green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies