Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That sounds like an excuse not to pay a living wage.
There is no such thing as a living wage, I could pay you 100 dollars an hour and you're still going to be in the same boat you were before. The cost of my product increases and that is passed onto the consumer.

It's not an excuse at all, you are worth what someone is willing to pay you or needs to pay you.These farmers will need to have these crops picked by someone and the wages will rise until they get people to do it.

Another point that is very important about cheap labor is it stifles innovation, without cheap labor farmers will be looking to automate these jobs that will provide less but much higher paying jobs perhaps servicing robots to do the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is no such thing as a living wage, I could pay you 100 dollars an hour and you're still going to be in the same boat you were before. The cost of my product increases and that is passed onto the consumer.

It's not an excuse at all, you are worth what someone is willing to pay you or needs to pay you.These farmers will need to have these crops picked by someone and the wages will rise until they get people to do it.
Well,maybe 10 an hour is enough,esp for a low cost state like AL.
Either way,I'm sure they can afford to pay decent wages.
If they can't,let the free market work.
They simply go out of business.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Well,maybe 10 an hour is enough,esp for a low cost state like AL.
The point is you aren't going to get $10 if some Mexican will do it for $8.

..on the other hand it might be worth $20 an hour if they can't get anyone to do it. As you said let the free market decide but as long as there is illegals doing these jobs it's not going to happen.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv;
Have you ever actually been to Mexico? Something tells me if you were in their situation, you would come here too.
Yes. It's no different than most other nations in the world. Better in many respects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv
If not, could you kindly delineate for me what you would do to improve Mexican as a peasant with scant access to anything, much less basic resources such as electricity?
A Mexican peasant can move within his own country to find work. He just won't make as much money as quickly as if he came to the United States.

Mexico has a LOWER unemployment rate than the United States, one of the largest economies in the world, and is home to the richest man in the world.

After all, I would love to live in a northern European country, with 6 weeks mandated holiday, free healthcare and education for my children, and some of the highest wages in the world. But I will never simply fly there, stay there, and then say, "bbbut, I'm trying to make a better life for myself from the horrid conditions in the United States, with all the crime, unemployment and poverty (ironically, much of it IMPORTED)"...

Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
If it says"Grown in America" I will gladly buy it.
Most people will btw.
Do you think then, businesses are crazy for not stocking up with grown/produced/made in the USA instead?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Do you think then, businesses are crazy for not stocking up with grown/produced/made in the USA instead?
Yes they are.
The most important reason to stock up produce made in Usa is that its safer point blank.

I am positive if they put flyers on the light poles or in Walmart,even the classifieds,some. are going to respond.

For some reason,I think they just prefer Mexicans.
If so,they should just say it and stop making up excuses.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/op...&smid=fb-share
It’s harder to measure the price of a ruined business reputation or the value of investments lost or productivity lost as Alabamians stand in line for hours to prove their citizenship in any transaction with the government. Or what the state will ultimately spend fighting off an onslaught of lawsuits, or training and deploying police officers in the widening immigrant dragnet, or paying the cost of diverting scarce resources away from fighting real crimes.

Make laws in haste, regret them in leisure.

This is an interesting opinion piece from the NYT.
not surprising that a globalist rag like the NYT would be in favor of lowered wages and a lowered standard of living for american workers.

does anybody even subscribe to that paper anymore?

welcome to the world of the elites.

i am sure that the decrease in the alabama unemployment rate had NOTHING to do with the immigration law.

maybe more states should consider that.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Gee, you got all of that from my comment.
A little partisan of you, doncha think.

I guess you missed the part that I quoted about having to show IDs all over the place and the extra cost to the community.
Don't let that get in the way of some good hatred, though.
Oh wow, they have to show ID's! Poor them, that's such a hard task. What will they ever do when they try to cash their checks or open a bank account?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:55 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Yes they are.
The most important reason to stock up produce made in Usa is that its safer point blank.

I am positive if they put flyers on the light poles or in Walmart,even the classifieds,some. are going to respond.

For some reason,I think they just prefer Mexicans.
If so,they should just say it and stop making up excuses.
The rules of capitalism dictates that the capitalist (businesses in this case) will look for self-interest. And if hiring illegal immigrant or selling Chinese goods gets that, why won't they? The only way to prevent that is regulations, government creating rules on who they can or cannot hire. Obviously, most of us would agree with such rules (because it protects us, our self-interests).

And if most people (as you said) were really into "made in the USA", trust me, the businesses would be stocking up on Made in the USA. But then, I might be assuming that businesses actually put people over profits, and people actually buy the cheapest stuff. Which, has businesses stock with cheap imports. So, no, most people don't care where the item is made. Even if they did, they buy for it being cheap. I never see people take a peek at where an item was made before they look at the price.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:48 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Let's see what happens when lettuce costs $5 a head or is not available at all. Instead of buying a dozen ears of corn you will be lucky to afford one ear.

Consider the farmer who generally has to finance each crop and his profit is solely based on the production of that crop and the ability to harvest it. If he can't harvest it he is out of business. So what you say. Then just what is it that you plan to eat?

99.9% of Americans will not do farm work. So who else you got to work 10-12 hours a day in 100 degree heat and humidity to match?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies