Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 PM

913 posts, read 873,593 times

Advertisements

For 4 years i've been beating the Ron Paul drum. my greatest concern is for human freedom. perhaps i'm a little cynical, but i see our freedom slipping away quite rapidly now, and it will continue to so until we have no liberties left.

the truth is, and i know there will be those who won't believe it's taken me this long to understand, people don't want to be free. people are much happier with the false sense of security that their govt provides them, than working on themselves, their family and their community to develop greater security while still accepting that life is what happen when you're busy making other plans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 02:50 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,197,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
people are much happier with the false sense of security that their govt provides them, than working on themselves, their family and their community to develop greater security while still accepting that life is what happen when you're busy making other plans
Speak for yourself. I work plenty hard and I'm a pretty tough guy, but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be able to stop the Russians/Chinese from invading, keep terrorists at bay or fight organized crime.

I'd advise seeing a doctor about this. If you're getting to the point of wearing a tin foil hat, you've been listening to too much extremist radio and it's time to rejoin society.

Basically, you're so wrapped up in the concept of freedom that you're imprisoned in your own mind.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:03 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,329,279 times
Quote:
For 4 years i've been beating the Ron Paul drum. my greatest concern is for human freedom. perhaps i'm a little cynical, but i see our freedom slipping away quite rapidly now, and it will continue to so until we have no liberties left.

the truth is, and i know there will be those who won't believe it's taken me this long to understand, people don't want to be free. people are much happier with the false sense of security that their govt provides them, than working on themselves, their family and their community to develop greater security while still accepting that life is what happen when you're busy making other plans
Ron Paul has some good ideas and he's probably the only truly honest and consistent politician in the field right now. However, you still don't quite understand why people are put off from him. Yes, people are happier with a sense of security that their goverment provides---but to characterize it as "a false sense of security" is highly debatable. It's also an erroneous assumption that people who believe in federal safety nets don't want to work for themselves. Recognizing the value of safety nets built into society goes to the heart of why some people don't want Ron's Paul's form of limited federal goverment. The United States is stronger because of our federal government's hand in forming uniformity of our programs like our educational system, social safety nets, State Department, and drug/food safety. To take that all away as Ron Paul would like to see happen we might as well be 52 European countries that all have common borders.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,861,601 times
There is no freedom in the private sector without government to keep it in check. Ron Paul is a victim of private sector news that refuses to give him a fair shake. Paul should wake up and see the oppression that comes with total liberty.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:23 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Speak for yourself. I work plenty hard and I'm a pretty tough guy, but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be able to stop the Russians/Chinese from invading, keep terrorists at bay or fight organized crime.

I'd advise seeing a doctor about this. If you're getting to the point of wearing a tin foil hat, you've been listening to too much extremist radio and it's time to rejoin society.

Basically, you're so wrapped up in the concept of freedom that you're imprisoned in your own mind.
Yeah...what YOU said.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,293,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
There is no freedom in the private sector without government to keep it in check. Ron Paul is a victim of private sector news that refuses to give him a fair shake. Paul should wake up and see the oppression that comes with total liberty.
Government was supposed to prevent things like monopolies and defend us with the military; they should not be spending time with a great society system or harboring so many employees on the tax dollar.
Government is in the way. It is trying to control the people too far and sap a tax anywhere it can because they can't shrink or spend money frugally.

Time to close it down to only the needed parts.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,861,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Government was supposed to prevent things like monopolies and defend us with the military; they should not be spending time with a great society system or harboring so many employees on the tax dollar.
Government is in the way. It is trying to control the people too far and sap a tax anywhere it can because they can't shrink or spend money frugally.

Time to close it down to only the needed parts.
I think the common denominator is Fox News! If you listen to them long enough, you will want to off yourself!

Old 12-04-2011, 04:01 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,199,023 times
Quote:
You're just now figuring out most people will agree to whatever so long as the nice fella on the teevee promises to make the bad men stay away? Well bless your heart.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:09 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,178,125 times
Quote:

Oh , don't let politics get you down...that's just a big silly soap opera....the wealthiest people(and there are NONE posting in CD) are really the ones who call the shots...politicians are just pawns...as are the rest of us...
I know, I know, THAT didn't cheer you up, did it? But it's the truth...

Old 12-04-2011, 05:35 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,222,224 times
I'm finding the politics quite depressing these days!

I'm finding politics boring, especially here in P&OC, the same old crap, one side ranting about *******s, the other side about stupid people watching Fox news..

The people here and the politicians in Washington DC are an exact mirror of each other...

Compromise and work together?

Not in either groups vocabulary...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies