Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 03:21 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I first started posting here about 2 1/2 years ago, quit for awhile, and just recently returned.

My inspiration for this thread was seeing multiple threads in a row about how evil conservatives are, followed by a thread about a middle school basketball team's games being cancelled for the season blamed on liberals with insults and all.

I remember a thread from a few years ago like this one. So I guess the answer is no.

And you know, I have been in some really good debates, off and on, through that time. I know I'm doing it right, because I get people angry on both sides of the political aisle.

I have tried to pick my battles though. The threads that you have mentioned, and I know the type, are red meat for the base. It brings out the one liners, no facts, and thats exactly what they want.

I recommend that people continue to use the reputation tag more frequently, or as frequently as is allowed. To me, it seems to be one of the better judge of characters on this forum.

Usually the original posters of the threads, like you mentioned, have been here for two years, and have less then 500 rep. There are reasons for that.

I have lowered my postings to threads with substance, or ones in which no one has contradicted outrageous claims that have not been proven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
I've tried to educate people on here, but there's not much to work with here.

I think you have to be educated before you can educate others.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:03 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
It seems that just about every thread on here turns into left vs. right, personal attacks, insults, and exaggerations.

Can we get past this?

This applies to those on both sides of the aisle.
How do polar opposites get along? They don't... as much as you can try, you can't... I think it is deceptive to say two opposing forces can get along... that isn't the natural order of things... you can force it but you can never make it happen... as much as it is unliked, it is what it is... there will be disagreements... some of them will be large disagreements... insults, personal attacks, exaggerations are all part of human nature... we can suppress it but that won't last either... I rather recognize it as inevitable and accept it...

Old 11-28-2011, 04:13 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Here's a fun idea! Enemycountry, a challenge thrown before you. Go to this thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ild-court.html

and instead of posting as you have in the past, which is sophmoric to say the least,

DEFEND the videos of BO, and some articles about him. DEFEND him speaking as he has about our nation.

The posts of his chosen CZARS' nutty ideas, some of the agenda as nutty as fruitcakes, DEFEND them. Tell us how on earth that BO is an American, and why we should re-elect him in the context of his CZARS and much more on this thread.

Editing this in since I left so much important stuff, out! His mentor was a known Communist, the poet Frank was.
We have beautiful evidence that BO chose racists to work in his administration with two videos posted and another I need to find and put there.

Do it all calmly and rationally. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it is to DO what I suggest without any "ad hominem." Stay on the subject of BO and defend him and his.

That is, IF you can. I do not believe you can. Nor can others of his supporters on that thread so they desperately focus on the messenger of the thread.

This challenge is for any BO supporter.
Wrong thread, so much for the OP's hopes

Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,281 times
Quote:
It seems that just about every thread on here turns into left vs. right, personal attacks, insults, and exaggerations.

Can we get past this?

Voice of reason.

I don't know what's more annoying: Occupy Wall Street or the gazillion anti-OWS threads (e.g. "OWS member farted in an old lady's face today"). I get that the majority here don't care for Obama or outright loathe the man, but it's way over the top.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:29 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
How do polar opposites get along? They don't... as much as you can try, you can't... I think it is deceptive to say two opposing forces can get along... that isn't the natural order of things... you can force it but you can never make it happen... as much as it is unliked, it is what it is... there will be disagreements... some of them will be large disagreements... insults, personal attacks, exaggerations are all part of human nature... we can suppress it but that won't last either... I rather recognize it as inevitable and accept it...
Most of us aren't polar opposites. I agree with every single person who participates here about something, I guarantee. I also disagree with every single person who participates here about something.

It's inevitable to disagree and disagreement is healthy. Like I said earlier, if we all agreed on everything, there'd be no point in coming here at all. But, why not try and build bridges instead of burn them? Don't we all want to try to get others to agree with us? Don't we understand that pettiness and bickering doesn't help us achieve that?

Phrased another way - are we here to actually discuss politics and have constructive debate or are we here to have a bunch of verbal sparring partners?

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 11-28-2011 at 06:49 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 06:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:

Can we get past this?

How am I going to agree with values I don't agree with?

How are you going to agree with values you don't agree with?
I have principals that cannot and will not be compromised.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:48 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,237 times
Quote:
Most of us aren't polar opposites. I agree with every single person who participates here about something, I guarantee. I also disagree with every single person who participates here about something.

It's inevitable to disagree and disagreement is healthy. Like I said earlier, if we all agreed on everything, there'd be no point in coming here at all. But, why not try and build bridges instead of burn them? Don't we all want to try to get others to agree with us? Don't we understand that pettiness and bickering doesn't help us achieve that?

Phrased another way - are we here to actually discuss politics and constructive debate or are we here to have a bunch of verbal sparring partners?
Actualy I came here because of rightwing radio. They are hateful people who bring angry feelings out in folk like me.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:

The blind trying to lead the blind...

That's RICH! LOL!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
So, let's discuss....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies