Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 AM

1,571 posts, read 1,997,799 times

Advertisements

If memory serves me right, Newt Gingrich left the legislature when it broke that he liked boys and young men. Today, he's running for President.

Marilyn Monroe was a regular visitor to the White House under Kennedy, ranked as one of our greatest Presidents.

I believe it was Roosevelt that had prostitutes on a regular basis.

How does fidelity determine someone's ability to lead a nation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:36 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,379,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
If memory serves me right, Newt Gingrich left the legislature when it broke that he liked boys and young men. Today, he's running for President.

Marilyn Monroe was a regular visitor to the White House under Kennedy, ranked as one of our greatest Presidents.

WHOA!!!!!!! Gingrich has his baggage, god knows, but it doesn't include "liking young boys".

Your are mixing up your Republican perverts. I know it is hard to keep them straight!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 AM

37,937 posts, read 17,805,641 times
Quote:

Unfortunately we elect Presidents on style not substance. Policy doesn't matter for too many. Likeability does.
"he looks presidential" It's media driven, whatever sells.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
Do you not value truthfulness and honesty in a person, much less in leadership? If one is capable of lying and deceiving the family, engage in infidelity while trumpeting righteousness and religiosity, why should people trust this person to act in all honesty when it comes to others? Heck, how did the Clinton saga go at the time?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 AM

ok, maybe I do have him mixed up with someone else. But they're making a big deal about Cain, and yet...
My point is that while Cain is spending time defending himself, leaders in the past were doing much the same thing, but no one is talking about that. Why are they coming out about Cain? Has he been doing anything different?
Quote:
This is hardly the first time Newt has cheated, either. "It was common knowledge that Newt was involved with other women during his [first] marriage to Jackie. Maybe not on the level of John Kennedy. But he had girlfriends -- some serious, some trivial." -- Dot Crews, his campaign scheduler throughout the 70s. One woman, Anne Manning, has come forward and confirmed a relationship with him during the 1976 campaign. "We had oral sex. He prefers that modus operandi because then he can say, 'I never slept with her.'"
I'm not a "Cain fan", but I can't help but wonder why the unequal application, and is really that important?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,479,246 times
Quote:

When the right started running on the "family values" platform, that is when fidelity started determining the ability to run the country.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Do you not value truthfulness and honesty in a person, much less in leadership? If one is capable of lying and deceiving the family, engage in infidelity while trumpeting righteousness and religiosity, why should people trust this person to act in all honesty when it comes to others? Heck, how did the Clinton saga go at the time?
And Churchill drank a fifth of scotch every night, one of the world's great leaders. Look at those we hold up and praise for being so great. They were far from saints. Are we making TOO MUCH of it? Is it REALLY THAT important?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:36 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,379,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I don't care who the president is banging, so long as he/she is competent. I'd rather have a cagey old horn dog like Clinton, then a "faithful" nincompoop (like GWB) anythime.

As for the "Clinton saga", the way it played out was, the harder the GOP pushed the sex charges, the higher Clinton's approval rating went up, topping out in the mid-sixties at the end of the impeachment trial (which the GOP lost, btw).

I think most people differentiate between your public life and your sex life. Two differences between Clinton and Cain, that help explain why Cain is going down on this issue, while Clinton survived:

- Once he was cornered, Clinton made a public admission. He went on national TV and copped out. So far, Cain is continuing to lie and deny. As his denials get more and more ridiculous, people get offended. Does Cain think we are all as clueless as his wife?

- Clinton was competent. You may disagree with his politics, but he was a highly effective executive and politician. People were willing to overlook his personal faults, for the benefit of his skills as president. But Cain, by all appearances, is not competent to be president. So why should we overlook his other faults? What does he bring to the picnic?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,423,860 times
I guess we need to define what is now considered right or wrong. The rules seem to change every few years. Morality based on Bible teachings includes honesty and integrity. On the other hand, millions consider the moral standards taught in the Bible to be trustworthy and relevant to life in our modern world. And cheating, corruption, and fraud are widespread. So if we elect someone to lead us that we need to trust with our welfare, should they not have a clear sense of moral integrity, however we as a society define it, in order to carry our our wishes with honesty and yes, fidelity?

An honest person is truthful and free of fraud. He is fair in his dealings with others—straightforward, honorable, not deceptive or misleading. Moreover, an honest person is someone with integrity who does not cheat his fellowman. Honest people contribute to a climate of trust and confidence, which leads to healthy attitudes and promotes strong human relationships. Just sayin'.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:44 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,950,451 times
First off, OP should really edit out the falsehoods about little boys. Unnecessary and in extremely bad taste.

With that out of the way, this one quote from Gingrich's ex-wife is all you need to know about his "values."
Quote:
He'd just returned from Erie, Pennsylvania, where he'd given a speech full of high sentiments about compassion and family values.
The next night, they sat talking out on their back patio in Georgia. She said, "How do you give that speech and do what you're doing?"
"It doesn't matter what I do," he answered. "People need to hear what I have to say. There's no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn't matter what I live."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies