Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:17 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Agreed. With the current state of the education system in this nation it certainly isn't a surprise.

"According to the OECD report, the main cause of social immobility is educational opportunity. It turns out that America's public school system, rather than lifting children up, is instead holding them down."

Thanks for the link supporting what I think alot of us already knew. At least those of us on the right.

Kudos!
As far as the the educational factor is concerned...Bush's "No Child Left Behind" program certainly did suck...except of course for brother Neil Bush, who profited greatly off of the program.

Let's not get off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
Every elite devises methods to purify their class. Ours has done better than most.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:30 AM

386 posts, read 231,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Every elite devises methods to purify their class. Ours has done better than most.
Millions of immigrants from across the world, who have suceeded, prove you wrong - completely wrong. Maybe you should substitute "accurate" or "Truthfull" for "clever" as your prime directive in your posting.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,191,902 times
All we need is more bootstraps! Right? :/

Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 AM

932 posts, read 1,174,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Who says its better to have everyone the same? Tell me how a nation of middle class invest in green energy for example? Have you even tried to price solar or wind technology for your home? Geothermal estimates to heat my home came in at $50,000. Do you think middle class americans can afford this? I couldnt for sure. There is a reason why this nation thrives and the rest of the world is left to duplicate what we create and some even die making efforts to get here.
Ok, so by your logic, nobody would hire anywhere in Europe because there are fewer rich people to invest in jobs. If that were the case, unemployment must be so much higher in Germany or Norway?

I guess we must be "greener" than say a country such as the Netherlands then, since there are fewer *really* wealthy people? This is despite the fact that many European countries are far "greener" than we are, although we are slowly catching up.

I'm not suggesting that everyone earns the same, but we could do worse than learn from other countries at times, as we are not the best at everything. You act like this is the only developed nation on earth and that is arrogant.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:27 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,707,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Wait for it...someone will say move to Europe if you don't like it here, as if everyone has the option.
Sure they do. A passport only costs $75.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,187,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
How many millionaires come out of those countries? I don't think too many do.
You don't think? Why is that? Have you been outside of the US? What European cities have you visited? Did you study European economics in college? Did you go to college? Do well in high school?

Please, explain why you 'think' there aren't many. Perhaps you could, gasp, do some research and see if your feelings about this matter are actually true.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:34 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
LL -
What part of my statement is inaccurate or untrue? All elites systematically restrict entry to their class financially, socially and politically. The elites of Europe do this just as ours. The difference in the Eurozone is you can rise from abject poverty to comfortable employment much more easily than in the US. What happens to a few super achievers is far less important than what happens to the rest of us. [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 11-29-2011, 12:43 PM

78,016 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The report finds the U.S. ranking well below Denmark, Australia, Norway, Finland, Canada, Sweden, Germany and Spain in terms of how freely citizens move up or down the social ladder. Only in Italy and Great Britain is the intensity of the relationship between individual and parental earnings even greater.
Social Immobility: Climbing The Economic Ladder Is Harder In The U.S. Than In Most European Countries

This is not surprising.
So despite free public education until age 18, people with poorer parents....living in poorer areas are held back.

This isn't a surprise. The public schools where I live are some of the best in the country....great parental involvement and role models. The ones 10 miles up the interestate are now unaccredited.

The poorer parents that care about education move to my area, others just don't care or for other reasons the kids are stuck in crappy schools which are generally crappy because of the parents and the other kids there and the inability of the government to address problems because they don't want to offend voters or deal with the other problems.

The bad public schools in the US are overwhelmingly in large urban areas with mono-party politics....and they don't give a crap about the kids enough to REALLY do anything about it.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:45 PM

46,891 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Who says its better to have everyone the same? Tell me how a nation of middle class invest in green energy for example? Have you even tried to price solar or wind technology for your home? Geothermal estimates to heat my home came in at $50,000. Do you think middle class americans can afford this? I couldnt for sure. There is a reason why this nation thrives and the rest of the world is left to duplicate what we create and some even die making efforts to get here.
You really should not have picked green energy as your example, because the US is way, way behind Northern Europe on that one.

Ever heard of Vestas? Biggest wind turbine producer in the world, headquartered in Denmark, and they're busy building their own factories in the US, because US companies simply don't make a competitive product. The Germans do. The Chinese do (admittedly, by ignoring patent law.)

GE entered the race decidedly half-hearted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies