Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Interesting that your measure of a nation's freedom deals with drugs and sex.

Kinda base level if you ask me.

States law. You can marry who you want move to a state that allows you to marry the same sex. You can screw with whoever you want too go to a state that allows prostitution like Nevada. They regulate sex in Europe there are anti trafficking laws there but they don't get enforced very much.
I'm not talking about pedophilia or underage people. Pedophilia is justifiably illegal, and while people may disagree what the age of consent should be in general it is agreed upon that it is a good thing and that sex with kids and young teens should be illegal - unless one is a fundie Christian, fundie Muslim, or fundie Mormon.

Freedoms regarding sex and drugs (involving adults) show that a society respects the rights of the adults who live in that society and in general does not try to restrict their liberties, whether personal or economic.

Quote:
Sex and drugs freedom - yeah just what we need - as if it's not already under your nose in front of your face here.
More so than in places with more freedoms regarding sex and drugs.

Quote:
As far as books go - there aren't many that are banned in the USA.

Not the same for Austria/Germany. I own several books that would have me prohibited from entering their country if I took it along as reading material on my next flight.
Certain biographies of Hitler are banned in Austria and Germany.
Certain biographies of L. Ron Hubbard are banned in the US.
Go figure.

Quote:
USA has the MOST personal freedoms of ANY nation on the planet.
Why so many in prison?

Quote:
You learn that when you've been around the world enough times. And I couldn't give a fig for drugs and sex freedoms. Go to Thailand have at whatever you want. Don't bring that garbage here.
You're admitting that Thailand's freer than the US.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
If you think you don't have enough freedom now...McCarthyism all over again....

Battlefield America: U.S. Citizens Face Indefinite Military Detention in Defense Bill Before Senate

Better be careful what you post and tweet....wherever you are in the world....

Old 11-29-2011, 02:52 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You're admitting that Thailand's freer than the US.
Unless you really enjoy insulting the local royalty.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
So, what I can gather from your posts is that the USA has the "most freedom" because we lock up more of our own citizens. Also we're awesome because your collection of Nazi reading material is legal unlike those two random countries with histories of actual Nazism. Okay then.

You do realize there are countries that don't ban books or lock up 750 out of every 100,000 people?
It sounds that LuckyGem would consider Saudi Arabia to be "free" and would probably consider Sharia a good thing.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:54 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yes, what about it? What I saw of it, compared to perceptions here, is that Americans are lagging behind in their knowledge of the rest of the world. Not unlike the idea of "moral-less" Americans that many conservatives maintain there, however.
So how do a caste system and advanced social freedom coexist in India?

Old 11-29-2011, 02:56 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
So how do a caste system and advanced social freedom coexist in India?
How do you think it does? It is important for me to understand your perceptions first.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I agree, America is becoming less and less "land of the free". We need a drastic change from the war loving and fear instilling government we have become used to.
And it gets much worse.

November 29, 2011

The Senate is set to vote this week on a Pentagon spending bill that could usher in a radical expansion of indefinite detention under the U.S. government. A provision in the National Defense Authorization Act would authorize the military to jail anyone it considers a terrorism suspect -- anywhere in the world -- without charge or trial. The measure would effectively extend the definition of what is considered the military's "battlefield" to anywhere in the world, even within the United States. Its authors, Democratic Sen. Carl Levin of Michigan and Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona, have been campaigning for its passage in a bipartisan effort. But the White House has issued a veto threat, with backing from top officials including Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, and FBI Director Robert Mueller. "This would be the first time since the McCarthy era that the United States Congress has tried to do this," says our guest, Daphne Eviatar of Human Rights First, which has gathered signatures from 26 retired military leaders urging the Senate to vote against the measure, as well as against a separate provision that would repeal the executive order banning torture. "In this case, we've seen the administration very eagerly hold people without trial for 10-plus years in military detention, so there's no reason to believe they would not continue to do that here. So we're talking about indefinite military detention of U.S. citizens, of lawful U.S. residents, as well as of people abroad."

Battlefield America: US Citizens Face Indefinite Military Detention in Senate Defense Bill - YouTube

It's official! The US is well on its way toward becoming a full-fledged police state, as early as the beginning of the new year.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:01 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
How do you think it does? It is important for me to understand your perceptions first.
My perception is that their caste system goes against social freedoms.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Okay, so? Put religious zealots and politicians who use them together and you'd see that ANYWHERE.

And how do we treat them here? Leaches, lazy bums...? Americans I found there were mostly involved in religious propaganda BTW. Tourists and ex-pats are mostly Australians and Europeans.

There are, of course, bad things ANYWHERE. But I do see greater independence for myself there. There's multitude of choices in virtually anything.
The poor here have fewer social stigmas, food, cable tv., playstation, an education, shelter, a flush toilet.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
LOL.

If this thread teaches anything it is that Freedom is a very subjective thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies