Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about "Holiday" being used instead of "Christmas"?
It makes me sad. It's quite a shame what our society has become. 66 34.02%
I like it. 25 12.89%
I don't like it, but I can empathize why advertisers do it. 11 5.67%
I don't care either way. 92 47.42%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:32 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,454 times

Advertisements

"holiday" isn't replacing "Christmas"

And there is a difference, the former is broader and covers more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 02:34 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Believe it or not people used the word "holidays" before many of you were born, before the idea that everything bad stems from being PC, and before the ACLU got blamed for anything you don't personally agree with. You all are overthinking it. It became a common way to convey "Merry Christmas and Happy New Years" with a nod to Hanukkah thrown in and just grew from there. Nobody is out to get you or gives a rats ass if you perfer "christmas".
Exactly.
Much ado about nothing.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:37 PM

353 posts, read 905,847 times
Satan is laughing hysterically at all you Christians who get worked up over this issue.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
lots and lots of law suits. u can thank ACLU, a monster which is just the opposite of it's name.
Why do you hate Jesus?

THE ACLU FIGHTS FOR CHRISTIANS
The ACLU fights just as hard for INDIVIDUAL free exercise of religion as the ACLU fights against GOVERNMENT endorsement, sponsorship, or establishment of religion. Despite this fact, many people spread misinformation about the ACLU around the internet, innocently and maliciously, falsely claiming the ACLU is anti-religion or anti-Christian.

This list of FACTS counteracts that misinformation. These links represent just a few of the many examples of the ACLU defending the free speech and free exercise rights of Christians (for purposes of this list, the word “Christian†means a person who self-identifies as “Christianâ€).

In every example, the ACLU is defending the right of a Christian to speak as a Christian or to practice Christianity.

Here is the current version of this EVER GROWING list:

ACLU of Colorado Supports Students Wearing Christian Symbols in the Colorado Springs School District

ACLU-NJ Defends Christian Student's Anti-Abortion Speech

ACLU of Tennessee Defends Christian Students' Right to Preach in Public Park

ACLU of Virginia Defends Christian Students' Right to Protest Against ACLU at Public School

ACLU Defends Christian Students Wearing Anti-Islam Shirts to Florida Public School

ACLU Fights For Christian Inmate's Right to Preach

ACLU of Northern California Fights Law that Got Quakers Fired Over Loyalty Oath

ACLU Defends Christian Librarian Disciplined for Refusing to Promote Harry Potter

ACLU Defends Right of Individual Christian to Display Nativity Scene on Public Property

ACLU Defends Christians Protesting Gay Rights in Florida

ACLU Champions Religious Freedom Of Mormon College Student

ACLU Fights for Christian Church's Mission to Feed the Poor

ACLU Fights for Christmas Tree

ACLU Files Suit to Protect Free Speech Rights of Christian Protesting Wal-Mart's Policy on Gays

ACLU of Georgia and Baptist Church File Religious Discrimination Lawsuit

ACLU of Rhode Island Files Appeal on Behalf of Christian Prisoner Barred from Preaching at Religious Services

ACLU of Michigan Defends Catholic Man Coerced to Convert to Pentecostal Faith in Drug Rehab Program

ACLU of New Jersey Joins Lawsuit Supporting Second-Grader's Right to Sing "Awesome God" at Talent Show

After ACLU Intervention on Behalf of Christian Valedictorian, Michigan High School Agrees to Stop Censoring Religious Yearbook Entries

ACLU Helps Free New Mexico Street Preacher From Prison

ACLU of WA Wins Right of Christian Minister to Preach in Spokane Plaza

ACLU Fights for Baptist Preacher in Illinois

ACLU Defends Rights of Christian Group to Make Religious Protest at Funerals

ACLU Backs Christian Abortion Protester in Ohio

ACLU of Oregon Defends Religious Liberty Of Adventist School Boys Basketball Players

ACLU Backs Missouri Nurse Penalized for Wearing Cross-Shaped Lapel Pin

ACLU Defends Christian Street Preacher in Las Vegas

ACLU Argues for Legal Recognition of Small Christian Church

ACLU of MA Defends Students Punished for Distributing Candy Canes with Religious Messages

ACLU of Nebraska Defends Church Facing Eviction by the City of Lincoln

ACLU Defends Church's Right to Run "Anti-Santa" Ads in Boston Subways

ACLU Defends Inmate's Access to Material from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Following Threat of ACLU of Virginia Lawsuit, Officials to Agree Not to Ban Baptisms in Public Parks

ACLU Defends Families Fighting Removal Of Religious Symbols from Florida Cemetery

ACLU Supports Right of Iowa Students to Distribute Christian Literature at School

ACLU Argument In Support of the Display of a Christian Cross in a Public Forum

ACLU Defends Christian Worker Required to Remove Bible from Desk at Government Job

ACLU Defends Free Speech Rights of Christians And Others On Main Street Plaza

ACLU Defends Prisoner's Rosary Beads

ACLU Defends Christian Group's Anti-Abortion Ads On Phoenix Buses

ACLU Pledges to Back Church in a Zoning Battle

ACLU of PA Files Discrimination Lawsuit Over Denial of Zoning Permit for African American Baptist Church

ACLU Offers To Represent Private Prayer on Public Property and

ACLU Joins Falwell To Fight For Church Incorporation Rights

This page is maintained by Allen Asch. You can find email contact info at that link if you would like to suggest additions to the list or to make other comments. This page was last updated on October 10, 2010.
(each of those is a link on the page, just too many to activate them all)

The ACLU Fights for Christians

Old 11-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
the left windings have decided that anything related to Christianity is offensive. They side with atheists and muslims who are offended by the name of GOD or Jesus Christ. They go out of their way to 'accomodate' those people, yet they don't seem to care about the Christians being offended at all. The reason is that they identify Christians with the right wing political movement....their sworn enemy.

Sad isn't it? That they could try to destroy such a rich and wonderful tradition as CHRISTMAS??
No, the sad this is these rightwingers who every year insist on bringing politics into Christmas by pretending it's them against the "Christmas hating liberals"

Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Since when did the term "Holiday" replace "Christmas"?

It has not been replaced in my family. If some people don't like me saying Merry Christmas. F em.
why would you say merry christmas to a jewish person? i believe we don't live in a theocracy and they are just as american as you are. do you like being rude?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,623 times
December seems to have more holidays than any other month. I say Happy Holidays because we don't know for sure which holiday they may be celebrating.

December Holidays in 2011

Diversity Calendar: Ethnic and Religious Cultural Holidays, Celebrations, and Festivals

If you know for sure which one a person is drinking to, then by all means, tell them Happy Day of the Ninja! or Happy Brown Shoe Day! or Happy National Brownie Day!

My point is...unless you're positive someone is celebrating Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or Christmas, Happy Holiday will cover that for you. It's meant with no disrespect, just a salute to the wonderful holiday season in which we all can find something to celebrate.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:47 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
For all the Christians who feel that their is a "war on Christians" due to the word Christmas not being used as much, please show me where the bible says Christians should celebrate the birth of Christ. Then show me where it says Christians should stand up and fight for symbolism, signs, and graven images (like the manger scenes). Then show me where it says we should demand that people getting low wages selling cheap China junk for gifts should have to tell us what we want hear or otherwise we should get mad and complain.

I'll be waiting....

Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
While 40 years ago this country was predominantly Christian, it isn't anymore. Get over it. The world and the U.S. population have changed quite dramatically. Christians--you don't "own" this country anymore and you don't own December either. Figure out when Jesus' real birthday is (March I think?) and enjoy yourself on that day.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
HA! I win. I called this on one of the Thanksgiving threads--that it wouldn't be too long before someone comes along and just HAS to state how Christmas was originally a pagan holiday, blah blah blah and blather. We didn't even get out of November yet, and here's one now.

Did you honestly think that there are people out there--including Christians--who don't know this?

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who aren't aware of this fact. You're talking about a population where a good percentage couldn't locate the US on a map if you put it in front of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies