Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about "Holiday" being used instead of "Christmas"?
It makes me sad. It's quite a shame what our society has become. 66 34.02%
I like it. 25 12.89%
I don't like it, but I can empathize why advertisers do it. 11 5.67%
I don't care either way. 92 47.42%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:46 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
No, it is major because it is a major holiday on the Christian calendar.
I would think that Hanukkah is pretty major on the Jewish calendar. But as you said it doesn't count as "the" major holiday in this country. Christmas is a major holiday for Christians. Hanukkah is a major holiday for Jewish people. Christmas is major in this country because of marketing, sales, great music, days off from the employer, and good food. The religious aspect of it is dwindling. I would argue that Easter is much more important in terms of religious holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
But, the January 1 Feast of the Circumcision is a religious, not secular, holiday.
The 1st of January a religious holiday? I don't think so. I am from a Catholic region and it was just a secular holiday, the beginning of a new year. Nobody even mentioned any circumcision...

Old 11-30-2011, 05:52 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I would think that Hanukkah is pretty major on the Jewish calendar.
Chanukah is a minor rabbinic festival and is only "major" because it is available sometime between late November and late December on the civil calendar. The Biblically mandated High Holy Days (Rosh ha Shannah and Yom Kippur) and the 3 Biblically mandated Festivals (Sukkot, Pesach and Shavuot) are majors.

Quote:
I would argue that Easter is much more important in terms of religious holidays.
Easter used to be more religiously important than Christmas.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The 1st of January a religious holiday? I don't think so. I am from a Catholic region and it was just a secular holiday, the beginning of a new year. Nobody even mentioned any circumcision...
Feast of the Circumcision of Christ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-30-2011, 05:57 PM

Now Easter is all about painting eggs, just like with the Ancient Egyptians

Old 11-30-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Chanukah is a minor rabbinic festival and is only "major" because it is available sometime between late November and late December on the civil calendar.
So it's major because it falls int the timeframe for the sales, good music, good food, and generally secular celebratory "feel" of Christmas--which of course should only be a religious holiday?

Quote:
Easter used to be more religiously important than Christmas.
But it's not anymore? Please tell me so I can go inform the nuns at my son's Catholic school. They might want to know.

Look, I will apologize for my "snark" towards you. I don't like to be that way but your logic is falling short with me.

Because you are Christian (and obviously my family is also) you want to project your views on how sad it is that people make it something else that what you think it should be? It's not sad. Not everyone in this country is about Jesus anymore. That's okay. I'm glad we have those freedoms. You celebrate the way that works for you and try not to judge others who do it differently or make it about Christians only having it right. They don't own December 25th. People way before them used that day for THEIR sacred celebrations.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Because you are Christian ...
Me ???

Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
That may be, but it was just put on top of the old secular holiday, which is still celebrated around the world. You can see that from the fact that the religious interpretation is tied to Jesus' birth, which however was definitely not in December, so it doesn't make sense.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Me ???

Grrrrr....sorry I confused you with another poster!!! I am working on 4 hours of sleep from yesterday. Off to bed for me....

Old 11-30-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That may be, but it was just put on top of the old secular holiday, which is still celebrated around the world. You can see that from the fact that the religious interpretation is tied to Jesus' birth, which however was definitely not in December, so it doesn't make sense.
It is 8 days from the celebrated day of birth, and Jewish boys receive a name and their circumcision on the 8th day, including the day of birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies