Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about "Holiday" being used instead of "Christmas"?
It makes me sad. It's quite a shame what our society has become. 66 34.02%
I like it. 25 12.89%
I don't like it, but I can empathize why advertisers do it. 11 5.67%
I don't care either way. 92 47.42%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
If, in your 'esteemed' opinion, this thread is so stupid...why do you keep posting on it? Just sayin.
Because folks responded to what i said...much like what you're doing.

Again, anyone that thinks that someone gives a damn what greeting they use is only flattering themselves and is paranoid to the nth degree. I don't say Merry Christmas as a rule, but if you say it to me, i'll say it back. I don't mean it, but i say it to be polite.

No one gives a damn about the greeting. People are beating a dead horse. I can't be anymore clearer than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I don't know what it is, but it seems that nearly every television or radio commercial, as well as most print advertisements now omit the word Christmas, in favor of "Holiday". It's downright absurd.

Why are they doing this?

Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday Shopping" instead of "Christmas Shopping"?

Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday presents" instead of "Christmas presents"?

Why do they feel the need to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

Why do they feel the need to say "Holiday lights" instead of "Christmas lights"?

What has happened to this society, that it would act in such a peculiar manner? I'm sure that we're all old enough to remember that everything was Christmas and not "holiday". It was only about ten to fifteen years ago. It would have been considered odd to use "holiday" in the context it is now being used?

Is the word "Christmas" considered bad? That's the way advertisers are acting. It makes them seem very weak-minded and pathetic, frankly, that they'd omit the word Christmas, something very wholesome and embedded within our culture, and act as though it is not proper to use. After all, over ninety percent of the population celebrates Christmas.

By the way, please vote in the poll about how you feel.
It started our to be just PC but when progressives decided it took away from Christians they really let loose. Businesses have been nearly forced to use that word. I refuse to use it and will not buy from anyplace that refuses to use Christmas.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post

What has happened to this society, that it would act in such a peculiar manner? I'm sure that we're all old enough to remember that everything was Christmas and not "holiday". It was only about ten to fifteen years ago. It would have been considered odd to use "holiday" in the context it is now being used?

Is the word "Christmas" considered bad? That's the way advertisers are acting. It makes them seem very weak-minded and pathetic, frankly, that they'd omit the word Christmas, something very wholesome and embedded within our culture, and act as though it is not proper to use. After all, over ninety percent of the population celebrates Christmas.

By the way, please vote in the poll about how you feel.
The Christmas, or if you prefer, the holiday, season is now about making money. If you want to make money you should identify and associate what you are doing with the dominant holiday in question to attract customers who identify and associate with the dominant holiday. If you want to make more money you should identify and associate what you are doing with the all of the holidays to attract customers who identify and associate with all of the other holidays.

[more fish more pay]

Old 11-29-2011, 07:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Bill O'Reilly, is that you? Is it time for the annual "War on Christmas" rant already?

To answer your question, it's a nefarious plot by the Communist Liberals to destroy Christmas. EVERYBODY know that!

You said it yourself, this thread is downright absurd.
You have just posted an absurdity in an absurd thread. Of course you know that.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:29 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It started our to be just PC but when progressives decided it took away from Christians they really let loose. Businesses have been nearly forced to use that word. I refuse to use it and will not buy from anyplace that refuses to use Christmas.
That's not true at all. Businesses use 'holiday' instead of Christmas because they want us all out shopping from Halloween through Christmas. Using 'holiday' stretches out the time they can have their sale signs, sales and Christmas decorations up. This year I was even in two stores that had their Christmas stuff out before Halloween!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
I assume you'll be limiting your shopping to small businesses because I think all of the large, corporate retailers are resorting to Happy Holidays.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
At the behest of our HR Department, our company has actually renamed all of our Holidays to numbers (Holliday 1, Holliday 2, etc) so as not to "offend" anyone. Utterly insane!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Oh really. Name a single one of these ACLU anti-Christmas language lawsuits if you can.
yes oh really, i love posts like this. the internet is gorged with links with ACLU suing people regarding christmas displays and rituals.
but of course you already knew that didnt you?
The ACLU and what war on Christmas?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:36 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
You have just posted an absurdity in an absurd thread. Of course you know that.
LOL. Yep. Happy Holidays!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
HA! I win. I called this on one of the Thanksgiving threads--that it wouldn't be too long before someone comes along and just HAS to state how Christmas was originally a pagan holiday, blah blah blah and blather. We didn't even get out of November yet, and here's one now.

Did you honestly think that there are people out there--including Christians--who don't know this?
LOL. Good for you. I win, too. I predicted that there would be a rant about the war on Christmas before we got out of November, and here it is. Looks like it's a win/win.

But I've got to ask--if everybody knows this, why do Christians get all bent out of shape about it every year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies