Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 03:33 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Perhaps if you spent more time reading this thread, instead of shooting your keyboard off, you might know the answer to the bolded portion of your post.
As for the rest of it, if you cant make enough $ to properly care for your critters, maybe you should look for another line of work.
Still with Miborn, hogwash.

So a PROPER OWNER would let an animal suffer? Okay, gotcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 03:35 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
some people don't want to see america become a 3rd world country.
Canada and the Netherlands are 3rd world countries?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,296 times
Quote:
*kshe exhales a long, sad sigh for the horses*
How incredibly sad.
Whats the benefit here?
As sad as it is, here is what one horse rescuer has to say. I hope you read the entire article.

Quote:
Slaughter houses in Canada and Mexico have continued to demand horse meat since the U.S. slaughter houses shut down five years ago. So, many old and abandoned horses have been taken across the borders for slaughter—under less humane conditions, Congressman Jack Kingston (R-Savannah) pointed out to 11Alive News.
"In those facilities, particularly in Mexico, the USDA has no jurisdiction and we don't know what kind of facilities they are, if the horses are treated humanely," Rep. Kingston said.
Rep. Kingston did vote to allow horse slaughter houses to reopen, as did various Congressmen from both sides of the political aisle, allowing the bill to be signed by President Obama.
Surprisingly, some horse rescuers, like Livingston, do support the move as the lesser of the evils.
"The cruelty that they endure now is ten times worse than they ever endured when we had slaughter houses in this country," Livingston explained to 11Alive News.
There are over 9 million horses in the United States today; just over one percent, approximately 125,000 are slaughtered each year.
U.S. horse slaughtering okay'd by Obama, Congress | HULIQ

Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
So a PROPER OWNER would let an animal suffer? Okay, gotcha.
Myopic much?
If horses are really your way of life, then you surely recognize where I live, and what goes on here, right?
Read the thread.....what was it I did this morning?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
As sad as it is, here is what one horse rescuer has to say. I hope you read the entire article.

U.S. horse slaughtering okay'd by Obama, Congress | HULIQ
That was published in the local paper, I have read it already, I hope others will take the time, although I have my doubts.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:39 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,337,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Well isn't this good for all the over breeders and the bad back yard breeders. Horse slaughter is not going to eleviate horse abuse in this country! CAnada has slaughter yet there are countless horse abuse stories being revealed all the time. If slaughter was the answer there would be none in Canada or here in the USA when slaughter was allowed.
I guess obama thinks that horse slaughter is good for our country!
I do hope that all the horse meat sold to other countries that those people develop diseases from eating our horses that have been pumped full of vaccinations and other meds not suitable in meat for human consumption.
Yes. Allowing horses to be slaughtered here once more won't stop the neglect problem, but it does allow the problem to be abated to some extent.

I'm very familiar with Canada's horse slaughter house. There is only one there, and it accepted American horses for years after the American houses were no longer allowed to slaughter horses. About 2 years ago, they quit accepting the American horses- there were just too many to handle.

The horses that are being abandoned or left to starve are not all sick or old by any means. Before the recession, Americans, especially the folks who owned 1 or 2 in the back yard, took exceptionally good of their horses- for many, the horses were mostly pets, and were overfed, just as people do with their dogs and cats. Most horses were also vaccinated and kept in good health, but any responsible livestock owner vaccinates their animals. This is not 'pumping them full of vaccinations', as all vaccinations are given to the babies, just like people do.
Horses and other livestock can develop infections, just as people do, but they are not 'pumped full' of antibiotics either. That practice only occurs in the large feed lots, where cattle come from all over and are in very crowded conditions before slaughter.
Horses do not get all the diseases cattle get. As an entirely different species, they are immune to most specific cattle diseases, and typically, don't go to a feed lot at all before slaughter.
Horses at a slaughter house must be kept separate from cattle, as they dominate cattle and will kick cattle to pieces in mixed close quarters.

As a result, the one remaining Canadian slaughter house only accepts horses for just one period of time yearly. I don't know how long that period is, but during it, no cattle are processed.

These days, those same folks typically try as hard as they can to keep their horses fed and healthy, but are simply at the place where it is feed the family or feed the horse. Not all of the horses are old- they can be colts or young horses just as easily as old ones.

Many of the now-starving horses are pedigreed show stock or high-bred performance horses. For the past 20 years or more, the horse industry has catered to it's largest buyers- the parents of pre-teen and teenage girls. Girls love horses, and when times were booming, parents bought the best horses they could get for their precious daughters. Young girls and women have dominated the horse shows for many years.
Trainers have drastically changed the performance of show horses to accommodate the girls, and to make show events safer for young girls.

For a family who has a girl involved in the horse shows, the monetary investment to be competitive is substantial. The costs include:
- A truck large and powerful enough to haul a 4-horse trailer $32,000
- A 4-horse trailer, or a 2-horse with a 'queen suite'
(a built-in dressing room for the girls) $20,000
- 2 registered, trained, high-bred show horses $40,000
- assorted show outfits, averaging about $2,000 each $ 8,000
- Saddles and tack $ 7,500
- travel expenses, show fees, motel bills for the season $10,000

If anything, some of these estimates are low. It depends on the region, the amount of campaigning, regional training rates, etc.

First, the family runs into financial trouble. Then the pickup and trailer go. Then the show outfits and show campaigning. Then all the extra tack and show saddles. Then the essential saddlery and tack. And then, with many tears and much sorrow, the horses are sold for anything they can bring.

If they can't find a buyer, they try to give them away. If they can't give them away, they get cut back on feed. And then, at the very last, they starve or are put down. If a locality does not allow on-site horse burial, the carcasses must be disposed at a dump or other selected area.

While Americans do not eat horses, most of these animals in the scenario I just mentioned are actually safer to eat than most of the beef we consume. Horses don't get pumped up with corn, anti-biotics and hormones like feed lot cattle do. We all eat sick cattle regularly, because sick cows are the first to be sold out of a herd. Diseases can wipe a cattle herd out, but it never happens in a horse herd unless some exotic disease is introduced from outside. Horses are naturally much hardier and healthier than cattle. Horse herds are also much smaller than cattle herds, so the chances of a horse disease setting in are naturally much less. An average cattle ranch in the West has about 300 cattle or more, and has about 12-18 working horses at most. Wild horse bands are about the same size or smaller.

A fat horse is as tender as a fat cow, but the meat is leaner. A horse in prime condition is about the same as a range cow in prime condition.

Unlike cattle, but like humans, most horses grow a fat belly when they're overweight.

I have never eaten horsemeat, but my parents did while in Europe. They both said it tasted much the same as beef. My Dad compared it to buffalo, which has a richer taste and is leaner than beef. I have eaten buffalo.

I was born and raised on a ranch, and I'm the 4th generation of a horse-breeding family. I can't say how things are elsewhere, but here in Idaho, the abandonment is severe and steadily growing. While I don't know how it is presently, a few years ago, before the recession started, the Idaho horse industry was consistently averaging around $5-8 million a year in horse sales.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:40 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,210 times
I don't understand the majority's reaction to this. How is a horse different than a cow or pig, other than some people think they look more majestic and are more suited for riding? Seems pretty inconsistent, even hypocritical. I can picture in my mind many horrified peoples' conversations on this topic during dinner at a burger joint.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I don't understand the majority's reaction to this. How is a horse different than a cow or pig, other than some people think they look more majestic and are more suited for riding? Seems pretty inconsistent, even hypocritical. I can picture in my mind many horrified peoples' conversations on this topic during dinner at a burger joint.
I said this on the first page of this thread......
Have you ever ridden a pig?
Plowed a field with one?
Somehow, I doubt the Kentucky Derby would be quite the same if it were merely a pig race.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,210 times
Quote:
I said this on the first page of this thread......
Have you ever ridden a pig?
Plowed a field with one?
Somehow, I doubt the Kentucky Derby would be quite the same if it were merely a pig race.
So you're shocked and horrified and feeling bad for those poor horses because you can use them for more than just meat, but f- the pig because you can't ride it?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:47 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,337,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Canada and the Netherlands are 3rd world countries?
Your list is short. Include Germany, France, Czech Republic, Poland, Belgium, Russia, all the Eastern European nations, and all the former Soviet nations. They all eat horsemeat. Only the British don't.

And don't forget to include the rest of the world. Not just N. America and Europe contain the 1st world countries.

There are several breeds of horses in Europe that are raised for slaughter, just as we have with cattle here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies