Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,800,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You are incorrect on that, how we got to this state of affairs does matter.
Its akin to being knocked up and being too ignorant to figure out how it happened.
Unless you want some form of regulation upon the breeding of horses,it doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,843,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I dont think I said they were dirty, they have a distinct smell. A clean pig smells worse than a dirty wet dog. IMO anyway.

I dont know about the proven intelligence of pigs vs. dogs, but Ill tell ya, pigs dont naturally like humans, maybe thats why they are considered more intelligent.

Which brings me to this.

Here is my answer. Almost any animal can be domesticated, exploited and/or cared for and greatly loved by humans. Few have ever, over eons, become close companions and put on higher level. The difference between these, horse, dog, cat as opposed to cows and pigs and goat is that for many of us humans, these animals actually reciprocate the caring, love and companionship. Innately they will be drawn to us humans where cows and pigs and goats and such do really give a poop if you arent carrying a feed bucket.
These animals seem to feel your emotions, want to be in your presence, will protect you and even go to the grave with you. Yes, its entirely a human emotion thing.

I can see on a practical level where, hey all of them are made of meat so whats so special about them. If I were starving I wouldnt hesitate to eat them. What makes one more deserving than another.

My main opposition is that I dont believe there is a major problem with horse overpopulation, I dont believe it is the old and sick (and if so who wants to eat that) that go to slaughter to benefit poor owners. I dont believe there would ever be a sustainable market for horse meat. Lots of ppl oppose eating it, for one thing, and it would be a direct competition with cattle. We already have problems with the beef industry. Do we really believe raising horses for slaughter only is going to be a good thing.
Only the first sentence in the post of mine you quoted can be attributed to me.
Just wanted to make that clear to anyone reading this thread.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Unless you want some form of regulation upon the breeding of horses,it doesn't matter.
So you think that repeating the same mistakes over and over and not learning anything from said mistakes is just okey-dokie?
Really?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 AM

35,957 posts, read 30,494,438 times
Quote:
You are incorrect on that, how we got to this state of affairs does matter.
Its akin to being knocked up and being too ignorant to figure out how it happened.

I have to agree with you Kshe.
Where is the proof there is a problem with unwanted horses. Excluding tempory, isolated drought situations that also affect the cattle industry.

It matters where dogs and cats are concerned. That is why there is such a spay/neuter push and bans on puppy mills. Get to root of the issue and the problem will resolve itself. Dont allow unwanted horses to be the by product of the racing and pharmasutical industry.

There is as much a market for dogs and cats as for horses if we allowed it and there are way more unwanted dogs and cats that seems to never end. But I believe it is illegal to slaughter them for food.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
So you think that repeating the same mistakes over and over and not learning anything from said mistakes is just okey-dokie?
Really?
No I think it is none of your business what others do with THEIR property.

It is their horse to breed,not to breed or to put on a pedestal.

What is odd to me is those who oppose the slaughter of horses in the USA are responsible for the shipping of horses to Mexico and Canada to be slaughtered,under who knows what conditions.

Good job to all those who supported banning the slaughter of horses here.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,519,495 times
PETA supports this bill, and so do I, because the alternative was horrific transport, and slaughter methods by other countries. We didn't save any horses, the numbers stayed the same, but their ordeals were much more cruel.

While PETA says the optimal solution is to ban both consumption slaughter and export of horses, it supports reintroducing horse slaughterhouses in the US, especially if accompanied by a ban on exporting any horses at all to other countries.
There are now plans in over half a dozen states in the South and West to begin horse slaughter processing, a business worth about $65 million a year before Congress defunded the inspection regime. While unpalatable to most Americans, horse meat is eaten in Mexico, Asia, and parts of Europe.
“It's hard to call [the end of the horse slaughter ban] a victory, because it's all so unsavory,†Newkirk says. “The [funding] bill didn't mean any horses were spared, but it does mean the amount of suffering is now reduced again.â€
Lifting horse slaughter ban: Why PETA says it's a good idea - CSMonitor.com

Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 AM

35,957 posts, read 30,494,438 times
Quote:

What is odd to me is those who oppose the slaughter of horses in the USA are responsible for the shipping of horses to Mexico and Canada to be slaughtered,under who knows what conditions.

Well first, if thats the case, then whats all the complaining about overpopulation of unwanted horses in this country. Sounds like all those sick old horses have a place to go at no expense and perhaps a profit to their owners. And second, then instead of making horse slaughter legal again, make transport of horses to Mexico and Canada illegal.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:

You're mighty cranky today, whats up with that?
As far as regulation, yeah, I'd like to regulate the hell outta the irresponsible backyard breeders.
Perhaps a license fee imposed at the state level, if the fee were high enough, some of this nonsense would be eliminated.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Well first, if thats the case, then whats all the complaining about overpopulation of unwanted horses in this country. Sounds like all those sick old horses have a place to go at no expense and perhaps a profit to their owners. And second, then instead of making horse slaughter legal again, make transport of horses to Mexico and Canada illegal.
Yes!!!

Obviously banning the transport of horses for slaughter will make those horses magically have a home...

Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I have to agree with you Kshe.
Where is the proof there is a problem with unwanted horses. Excluding tempory, isolated drought situations that also affect the cattle industry.

It matters where dogs and cats are concerned. That is why there is such a spay/neuter push and bans on puppy mills. Get to root of the issue and the problem will resolve itself. Dont allow unwanted horses to be the by product of the racing and pharmasutical industry.

There is as much a market for dogs and cats as for horses if we allowed it and there are way more unwanted dogs and cats that seems to never end. But I believe it is illegal to slaughter them for food.
I dont know why oz is so opposed to examining the reasons we got to this state, and is instead lashing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies