Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times

Advertisements

Religion and culture withstanding, humans are carnivores which makes horses potential food, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 11:03 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Let's hope none of you eat shrimp or lobster...or pork...y'all ARE following those rules right?

And it is good to know you can eat an Emu,just not an ostrich.
Between the BP disaster that fouled the Gulf of Mexico, and the dumping of radioactive waste in the oceans from Fukashima, I'm not sure much of any fish is fit for human consumption these days.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:10 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Ok,now for some realism.....I would say I have probably bought and sold as many horses and mules over time as anyone on C-D (hence the screen name)...Here's the REAL deal.

When they stopped allowing the killer buyers to purchase horses,the sick,weak and injured horses suffered a much less humane end....they have been left to die in the pastures,turned loose to die,shot by people who've never killed a horse before and botched the job etc etc etc.

Owners used to bring these animals to the auction barns to sell to the killer buyers...they were put in a single pen usually and it was rough on them....usually the morons who hauled them to the slaughter houses had no class,idea how to even haul horses nor compassion...BUT..the horses came to a quick end.

Since the killer buyers have been shut down I have witnessed MUCH more animal cruelty,buried more horses with my backhoe than ever before for neighbors and called Animal Control & the Sheriff's office on abuse cases more than anytime in my entire life.

Believe it or not it's a much more humane way for a horse to go out than starving/freezing to death from lack of feed in the winter because some scumbag can't sell the horse,but refuses to spend the money feeding it because it has an infirmity and is worthless moneywise.

I would like to see a law enacted along with it where an inspector could make sure the drivers were treating them right and would serve prison time for abuse...I hauled cattle long distance for many moons and know for a fact that it can be done humanely and with a minimum of stress if done right...it's the methhead wannabe cowboy drivers that hurt the animals.
Ah...the 'if we treat them right, it's ok to murder them' philosophy. It comes out sooner or later.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ah...the 'if we treat them right, it's ok to murder them' philosophy. It comes out sooner or later.
Murder is a strong term, and not really applicable.

There is no doubt that as a society we have a major problem with how to humanely deal with animals, and particularly unwanted, abandoned, and mistreated ones.

And I'm all for any efforts that go toward protecting animals from suffering, though I don't think this bill does that. I think it's primary purpose is to open the door wide for more commercialization of these horses for purposes we shouldn't support.

Thoughtful animal stewards have been euthanizing animals in a caring and humane way to eliminate suffering for a long time, and we already have laws that prescribe proper treatment of certain animals ... we just need to apply those standards universally.

However, the large corporations that OWN congress don't want to see any effective measures to protect animals because they are the greatest offenders. So they get bills like this past under the guise of protecting animals from the the average animal owner.

It's a flagrant fraud.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:00 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Many years ago I worked the freight docks. One surprise to me were the skids of dead cats that came into our country from Mexico. They were marked on the outside of the boxes with how many male a female cats were in each box (total of six per box). PETA was busy even back then. Of course we overlooked Mexico slaughtering cats - the cats were going to our colleges and universities to train our veterinarians. Of course; being a veterinarian is a noble profession and we need good veterinarians. Besides; we didn’t kill the cats - we paid Mexico to kill them for us (no blood on our hands).

Our society is out of whack. We will let people starve to death - but; it is fine for a cat or a dog to inherit millions of dollars. In days this thread is up to almost five thousand readers and almost fifty pages long. There are many hard feelings on both sides of the issue. I just wish that people could address issues, like this, rationally. There is no real alternative that is humane to the horses. Most of the people, that take a stance against the legislation, do not have the means to care for the animals - they want the rest of the taxpayers to flip the bills (while turning their back to starving people).

Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Many years ago I worked the freight docks. One surprise to me were the skids of dead cats that came into our country from Mexico. They were marked on the outside of the boxes with how many male a female cats were in each box (total of six per box). PETA was busy even back then. Of course we overlooked Mexico slaughtering cats - the cats were going to our colleges and universities to train our veterinarians. Of course; being a veterinarian is a noble profession and we need good veterinarians. Besides; we didn’t kill the cats - we paid Mexico to kill them for us (no blood on our hands).

Our society is out of whack. We will let people starve to death - but; it is fine for a cat or a dog to inherit millions of dollars. In days this thread is up to almost five thousand readers and almost fifty pages long. There are many hard feelings on both sides of the issue. I just wish that people could address issues, like this, rationally. There is no real alternative that is humane to the horses. Most of the people, that take a stance against the legislation, do not have the means to care for the animals - they want the rest of the taxpayers to flip the bills (while turning their back to starving people).
Taxpayers footing the bill is not even a consideration!

Horse owners need to be more responsible and care for their horses in a respectful and caring way. We put them in corrals, barn stalls, feed them etc. When we can no longer care for them let the horse community know and people will help. Animal neglect has nothing to do with slaughter other wise it would not even be a issue in Canada. Or here in the states when the slaughter houses were in full swing.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:14 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
So? Yes, I think all slaughter should be done with glass walls, same with bio medical research. We should return to true investigative journalism.
As for growing gov't, we are talking about various states holding these facilities. Give local counties and states oversight, and I believe the quality would improve. The people have more control over local and state welfare laws, than fat cats in Washington.
The reason we are doing this, is supposed to be because it's more humane than the other alternative. Not because there is corporate money to be made in trade overseas.
They make MILLIONS over seas from the sale of horse meat! And they were FOREIGN OWNED and almost all of the money made from it left our country. That we could have used in our own economy.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:25 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Taxpayers footing the bill is not even a consideration!

Horse owners need to be more responsible and care for their horses in a respectful and caring way. We put them in corrals, barn stalls, feed them etc. When we can no longer care for them let the horse community know and people will help. Animal neglect has nothing to do with slaughter other wise it would not even be a issue in Canada. Or here in the states when the slaughter houses were in full swing.
You cannot squeeze blood from a stone. People make mistakes - that is why they call us human. If your house and barn are foreclosed; how are you going to provide for your animals? Like many others have pointed out; look at the dogs and cats that are released to forage on their own.

I have seen many animals killed in my 64 years. There are humane ways and inhumane ways. Starving animals or extending their lives when in pain is not a humane way to die.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:56 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
They make MILLIONS over seas from the sale of horse meat! And they were FOREIGN OWNED and almost all of the money made from it left our country. That we could have used in our own economy.
So...American owned slaughterhouses would be okay with you?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:58 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Instead of living in a world of 'If only', perhaps people should live in the world of reality.

There ARE tens of thousands of unwanted horses every year,the reasons are irrelevant.

So...you either ship the horses out of the country for slaughter,or let them starve,or slaughter them here in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies