Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 05:21 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,177,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Hmmmm, small pox was considered eradicated more than a half century ago, I am the child of an RPh and a nurse, I grew up in a pharmacy.
You are going to have to try a little harder than this to convince me on that part of your post.
I do agree with you on your last paragraph.
In 1966 I worked for the National Drug Company producing smallpox vaccine. In the 1990’s the company that bought that company found our old vaccine in cryogenic storage and the Fed’s came in and took all of the vaccine - I don’t know where. I do know that they came with a full military support.

I am not exaggerating. I was hands on with the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm, small pox was considered eradicated more than a half century ago, I am the child of an RPh and a nurse, I grew up in a pharmacy.
You are going to have to try a little harder than this to convince me on that part of your post.
I do agree with you on your last paragraph.
I found this old article on the internet about some of the work done at the old facility: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC546780/pdf/applmicro00230-0082.pdf
The article does not mention our work on smallpox.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:45 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,037,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I found this old article on the internet about some of the work done at the old facility: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC546780/pdf/applmicro00230-0082.pdf
The article does not mention our work on smallpox.
Thanks for the article, and I would also like to thank you for your thoughtful posts that make no fun at anyone that opposes your opinions expense, while making cheap shots.
I admit I have indulged in that myself on this thread, but some have opened the door and made it all too easy.
It gets harder and harder here to have any kind of thoughtful discourse, which is a shame.
No one seems to want, or to be able to answer, or even address the harder questions that a thread of this nature brings up, which leads me to question the intellectual capacity of some of the more vociferous of the posters here.
Whats up with the refusal to acknowledge the (sic) horse in the living room?
Which, to be honest, the slaughter of horses is merely the tip of the iceberg on this issue.
One can only supposes the age-old adage "there are none so blind as they that will not see" is still totally applicable in this day and age.
Sad.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the article, and I would also like to thank you for your thoughtful posts that make no fun at anyone that opposes your opinions expense, while making cheap shots.
I admit I have indulged in that myself on this thread, but some have opened the door and made it all too easy.
It gets harder and harder here to have any kind of thoughtful discourse, which is a shame.
No one seems to want, or to be able to answer, or even address the harder questions that a thread of this nature brings up, which leads me to question the intellectual capacity of some of the more vociferous of the posters here.
Whats up with the refusal to acknowledge the (sic) horse in the living room?
Which, to be honest, the slaughter of horses is merely the tip of the iceberg on this issue.
One can only supposes the age-old adage "there are none so blind as they that will not see" is still totally applicable in this day and age.
Sad.
Thank you for your thoughtful response!

I remember back in the 1950’s when we had old pets that were in pain. Usually we would ask the next door neighbor to euthanize our old pet. They would take our pet out back and feed them a last meal and finish them off with a well placed shot in the back of the head. To me; this was more humane than to have any animal euthanized by the veterinarians. The veterinarians are unfamiliar territory for many animals (animals sometimes go in fear) - our next door neighbors were friendly familiar places to visit.

Times change and attitudes change. I just don’t know if everything changes for the better?

This subject is very hard for many to discuss. People think with their hearts and not with their heads.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:48 PM

15,101 posts, read 8,656,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I am very sincere in my beliefs that this IS the right way to go for the horses...I am far from deluded that it was done for humanitarian purposes by politicians...they NEVER do anything where a dollar is not involved and you will never find a post on here of mine in ANY thread that states I believe otherwise...
Then it should be no surprise to you if I suggest that , the laws enacted by these politicians more often than not lead to the exact opposite results of the stated goals?

Quote:
This has turned into a heart string issue by good hearted people who mostly are clueless about the horse business OR the stock business in general...I have been in it part time all of my life,My Dad and nine uncles were always in it part time, my grandpa was in it pretty much full time and his grandpa before him and I never sat at the dinner table and heard a single story of somebody stealing a horse to sell to the killer buyers(although I would be lying AND stupid to say a few never did)...if you heard of a horse being stolen it was usually a good horse that was stolen to resell to an unknowing person to ride.
Unlike some people here, I have enough experience with horses to understand the differences between them and freaking cows, which I find to be considerable ... and I know first hand the fear that can result from the simple process of trailering them improperly, and the emotional distress their herd suffers as they wail when one is separated for sale. I've had personal relationships with horses ... stood vigilance over mares ready to foal ... watched them stand guard over their babies, mother refusing to even be separated by 50 yards in order to get a drink even though desperately thirsty. I understand their natural nobility, as well as the total absence of such in many who handle them.

Your first clue should be the name "Killer Buyers", as it is descriptive of their character which allows them to pursue such a line of employment, and the slaughter houses that employ similar types who's last thoughts would be for the comfort of the animals they butcher. It's a dirty rotten business ... the furthest thing from the notion of humane ..and we need less of it, not more, no matter what misguided nonsense you've used to convince yourself otherwise.

There are humane ways to deal with sick and abandoned animals. This is not one of them.

Quote:
As for the wild horses...let somebody get caught rounding wild horses up and selling them to a killer buyer (or to anyone) and the next letter they write will usually be from the Federal Pen.
The FDA and BLM are tools of the corporate mafia, even more corrupt than the Suits on Capitol Hill. They routinely look for excuses to SWATT team ranchers and farmers to confiscate their property, particularly livestock, if there is money to be made. Whether it's claims of maltreatment or violations of water rights, the small rancher and farmer have been in the cross hairs for decades ... and hunted to almost extinction by the great protectors of public safety. This bill only adds all of the equine operations on the list of targets for the federal piracy.

The BLM has been fighting animal rights advocates for years regarding wild horses who are being blamed for public land damage which is actually being caused by mega-corporate cattle operations who also use these public lands. The wild horse is a neusance in their views and competition for grazing lands. I have no doubt whatsoever that a part of this legislation is the foundational step for a later action to round up these horses for slaughter. Prior to the legislation, there was no avenue for disposing of them, therefore no incentive to round them up.

The only ones you'll likely see in a Federal penitentiary are legitimate ranchers who became targets of the federal mafia with designs on their land and livestock ... or some Al Qaeda terrorist daring to sell that dreaded weapon of mass destruction ... unpasteurized milk.

Quote:
As for my statement about "fixing other problems"....that's what we call "sarcasm" in my neck of the woods...there has never been a problem "solved" on C-D and there never will be...it was my pathetic attempt at humor to lighten this subject up a bit and it obviously failed...oh well,I won't charge you for dinner OR the show.
Well I tell you ... all of our problems we face today stems from ignorance, apathy, and questionable character. CD isn't likely to cure all the worlds ills, but it can, if nothing else, remove the excuse of ignorance. And who knows, armed with proper and truthful information, maybe more people will speak out against this disastrous race to the bottom. This issue of Horse slaughter is just one spoke in a much larger wheel of total-societal-deprivation, but if you want to stop that wheel, you go after it's spokes. You don't have to get every one ... just enough to disable the wheel.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,094,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Then it should be no surprise to you if I suggest that , the laws enacted by these politicians more often than not lead to the exact opposite results of the stated goals?

Unlike some people here, I have enough experience with horses to understand the differences between them and freaking cows, which I find to be considerable ... and I know first hand the fear that can result from the simple process of trailering them improperly, and the emotional distress their herd suffers as they wail when one is separated for sale. I've had personal relationships with horses ... stood vigilance over mares ready to foal ... watched them stand guard over their babies, mother refusing to even be separated by 50 yards in order to get a drink even though desperately thirsty. I understand their natural nobility, as well as the total absence of such in many who handle them.

Your first clue should be the name "Killer Buyers", as it is descriptive of their character which allows them to pursue such a line of employment, and the slaughter houses that employ similar types who's last thoughts would be for the comfort of the animals they butcher. It's a dirty rotten business ... the furthest thing from the notion of humane ..and we need less of it, not more, no matter what misguided nonsense you've used to convince yourself otherwise.

There are humane ways to deal with sick and abandoned animals. This is not one of them.

The FDA and BLM are tools of the corporate mafia, even more corrupt than the Suits on Capitol Hill. They routinely look for excuses to SWATT team ranchers and farmers to confiscate their property, particularly livestock, if there is money to be made. Whether it's claims of maltreatment or violations of water rights, the small rancher and farmer have been in the cross hairs for decades ... and hunted to almost extinction by the great protectors of public safety. This bill only adds all of the equine operations on the list of targets for the federal piracy.

The BLM has been fighting animal rights advocates for years regarding wild horses who are being blamed for public land damage which is actually being caused by mega-corporate cattle operations who also use these public lands. The wild horse is a neusance in their views and competition for grazing lands. I have no doubt whatsoever that a part of this legislation is the foundational step for a later action to round up these horses for slaughter. Prior to the legislation, there was no avenue for disposing of them, therefore no incentive to round them up.

The only ones you'll likely see in a Federal penitentiary are legitimate ranchers who became targets of the federal mafia with designs on their land and livestock ... or some Al Qaeda terrorist daring to sell that dreaded weapon of mass destruction ... unpasteurized milk.

Well I tell you ... all of our problems we face today stems from ignorance, apathy, and questionable character. CD isn't likely to cure all the worlds ills, but it can, if nothing else, remove the excuse of ignorance. And who knows, armed with proper and truthful information, maybe more people will speak out against this disastrous race to the bottom. This issue of Hose slaughter is just one spoke in the wheel of total deprivation.
I agree with some of the things you say,but we'll have to agree to disagree on the others...I think the govt is corrupt beyond repair,but on this issue I just do not see the conspiracy in it...a few politician's cronies making money,yes,big time conspiracy to steal land and cattle etc..no,I don't see that in THIS issue...that's for another thread where I will more likely agree.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful response!

I remember back in the 1950’s when we had old pets that were in pain. Usually we would ask the next door neighbor to euthanize our old pet. They would take our pet out back and feed them a last meal and finish them off with a well placed shot in the back of the head. To me; this was more humane than to have any animal euthanized by the veterinarians. The veterinarians are unfamiliar territory for many animals (animals sometimes go in fear) - our next door neighbors were friendly familiar places to visit.

Times change and attitudes change. I just don’t know if everything changes for the better?

This subject is very hard for many to discuss. People think with their hearts and not with their heads.
In response to your first paragraph, as I said earlier, my dad was an RPh, and was appalled at the lack of palliative care from physicians in regards to terminal patients.
His lament was always this; "Do the docs think that the patient is going to become addicted?"
I also agree with the latter part of your paragraph.
I know this is all anecdotal, but I have no reason to lie....my grandfather logged cypress in the swamps of SE MO in the early part of the 20th century, and when a mule became too infirm to even have a good life in the paddock, he would take them to the neighbors to visit, where they were humanely put down.
This was related to me by my mom this evening, after I told her about this thread.
She said that horses and mules were just too valuable a commodity to be casually eaten, even during the Depression, and were also too highly thought of to be eaten after they had passed.
I can only speak for my slice of SE MO as to this custom.
As I said, this is all anecdotal, but, if one thinks about it, isnt all history anecdotal?

Old 12-03-2011, 07:06 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,094,501 times
Quote:
In response to your first paragraph, as I said earlier, my dad was an RPh, and was appalled at the lack of palliative care from physicians in regards to terminal patients.
His lament was always this; "Do the docs think that the patient is going to become addicted?"
I also agree with the latter part of your paragraph.
I know this is all anecdotal, but I have no reason to lie....my grandfather logged cypress in the swamps of SE MO in the early part of the 20th century, and when a mule became too infirm to even have a good life in the paddock, he would take them to the neighbors to visit, where they were humanely put down.
This was related to me by my mom this evening, after I told her about this thread.
She said that horses and mules were just too valuable a commodity to be casually eaten, even during the Depression, and were also too highly thought of to be eaten after they had passed.
I can only speak for my slice of SE MO as to this custom.
As I said, this is all anecdotal, but, if one thinks about it, isnt all history anecdotal?
That's the way it was done here too just a few miles from your grandpa's place.

I have never met anyone personally that I know of that has eaten horse meat.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

Well I tell you ... all of our problems we face today stems from ignorance, apathy, and questionable character. CD isn't likely to cure all the worlds ills, but it can, if nothing else, remove the excuse of ignorance. And who knows, armed with proper and truthful information, maybe more people will speak out against this disastrous race to the bottom. This issue of Horse slaughter is just one spoke in a much larger wheel of total-societal-deprivation, but if you want to stop that wheel, you go after it's spokes. You don't have to get every one ... just enough to disable the wheel.
Couldn't agree more with this post.
All the folks that have so casually posted here dont have clue one about horses, I cannot even remember a time before I could ride, I was told I was first put on a horse at 18 months.
We have become so far detached from animals, not just as a food source, but from them as far as behavior, etc, that its appalling.
I dont even know what else to say, as some of the ignorance displayed on this this thread is just beyond belief.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
That's the way it was done here too just a few miles from your grandpa's place.

I have never met anyone personally that I know of that has eaten horse meat.
Yep, the Germans that settled the area had their priorities in order.
Thank you for agreeing, as this is where my priorities come from.
Glad you get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies