Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times

Advertisements

Quick! Buy McDonalds and BK stock! Gives a new meaning to the term "fast food."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
No, I think the problem should be solved at the front-end, not the back-end but that is a whole other topic. Greed and inhumanity will prevail, as usual.
I don't think anyone is against solving these problems at the front-end. Until that happens, you need practical ways to deal with the aftermath.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Why stop there? There are plenty of unwanted children in the world too. Why let their meat go to waste? Kill two birds with one stone, ya know?

By the way, do you eat dog meat and if not, why not? Do you own a pet dog? Why not just slaughter him for Sunday dinner?
But how do children taste? Guess it varies from person to person.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
I don't think anyone is against solving these problems at the front-end. Until that happens, you need practical ways to deal with the aftermath.
Practical is fine as long as it's in the best interest of the horse. I am not opposed to humane methods of population control as long as we are also concurrently trying to solve the problem proactively and not just treating this (legal horse slaughter) as a cash cow. The cynic in me says that there is more to the story and that this has more to do with money and greed than a true desire to end the suffering of unwanted horses. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think that I am.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Practical is fine as long as it's in the best interest of the horse. I am not opposed to humane methods of population control as long as we are also concurrently trying to solve the problem proactively and not just treating this (legal horse slaughter) as a cash cow. The cynic in me says that there is more to the story and that this has more to do with money and greed than a true desire to end the suffering of unwanted horses. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think that I am.
Could you provide a method of population control that you would support?

This isn't some cash cow,it is an answer to the problem of unwanted horses.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Ok,now for some realism.....I would say I have probably bought and sold as many horses and mules over time as anyone on C-D (hence the screen name)...Here's the REAL deal.

When they stopped allowing the killer buyers to purchase horses,the sick,weak and injured horses suffered a much less humane end....they have been left to die in the pastures,turned loose to die,shot by people who've never killed a horse before and botched the job etc etc etc.

Owners used to bring these animals to the auction barns to sell to the killer buyers...they were put in a single pen usually and it was rough on them....usually the morons who hauled them to the slaughter houses had no class,idea how to even haul horses nor compassion...BUT..the horses came to a quick end.

Since the killer buyers have been shut down I have witnessed MUCH more animal cruelty,buried more horses with my backhoe than ever before for neighbors and called Animal Control & the Sheriff's office on abuse cases more than anytime in my entire life.

Believe it or not it's a much more humane way for a horse to go out than starving/freezing to death from lack of feed in the winter because some scumbag can't sell the horse,but refuses to spend the money feeding it because it has an infirmity and is worthless moneywise.

I would like to see a law enacted along with it where an inspector could make sure the drivers were treating them right and would serve prison time for abuse...I hauled cattle long distance for many moons and know for a fact that it can be done humanely and with a minimum of stress if done right...it's the methhead wannabe cowboy drivers that hurt the animals.
It's very hard for me to accept horse slaughter but I see your point as I have seen the mistreatment of horses. It may not have been the way you are talking about but I have seen them, in cargo, at an airport.

They CRAM four of them in a compartment only big enough for one. Those horses sit on the tarmac for hours and hours and hours and hours...unable to move, unable to sit down, nothing to drink, nothing to eat.

They are then put on a flight, some of those flights are 12 hours, again, in the same contraption, stuffed in with three others, unable to move, nothing to drink, nothing to eat.

They then sit on the tarmac in the receiving country, and endure the same.

THAT is animal cruelty and should not be tolerated in any way, shape or form. Horses are highly intelligent creatures and that we subject them to this abuse is horrific.

I don't have enough information on this new bill....I personally would never eat horse meat but I am willing to listen with an open mind IF and ONLY IF it would prevent horses from having to endure the disgusting conditions they go through being shipped to other countries.

The fact is, whether people want to listen, agree or not, horses from this country ARE USED for food; they are shipped to other countries. MAYBE if they are treated humanely here instead of being treated like inanimate objects and shipped off, I could stand behind this.

But I need more facts before I decide.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Could you provide a method of population control that you would support?

This isn't some cash cow,it is an answer to the problem of unwanted horses.
TNR would be my preferred method, although I admit that I don't know how practical it would be in reality.

FTR, I come from a hunting family. Although I am opposed to the killing of any animal, I actually agree with deer hunting as a means of population control. I would rather a deer live their life free with plenty of food to eat and then be shot and killed than face a life of disease and starvation due to overpopulation. Also, the more deer meat consumed, the less demand for meat from animals raised for human consumption.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:43 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Obama signs law legalizing horse slaughter in the US « Our Compass

Erbe: Revival of horse slaughter to cost taxpayers | ScrippsNews (http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/65615 - broken link)
Maybe this is how Obama plans on closing our trade gap with the Chinese by filling all those empty Chinese containers with Horse Jerky for their hungry masses.

On the Illinois River they have a flying fish problem,jobless and homeless people a person said they should harvest these pest fish to feed them.Well I say let them work to start a new company process these prolific fishes and export them to China since these fish are a delicacy in China as is horse meat.

Hell the Chinese people on a whole are not bad they like Pork Rinds,hot sauce and beer only if we could get them to watch the Kentucky Derby and convince them the losers are not on the menu after the race.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:52 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Oh get off your moral high-horse. What's really the difference between eating a pig and a dog? Why is eating a pig moral, but eating a dog immoral?

Then choose your dog and eat away! for you i pick a pit?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times
Now farmers across America can beat dead horses almost as much as the partisans on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies