Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Last week while you weren’t looking Congress and the president did something the vast majority of Americans oppose. The president signed an omnibus-spending bill approved by Congress that makes it legal to slaughter horses in the United States once again. Polls show more than 70 percent of Americans oppose horse slaughter and few if any eat horse meat. Given the fact we are divided politically by a gap the size of the Grand Canyon, recognize that a 70 percent majority is an unheard of amount of backing.
Obama signs law legalizing horse slaughter in the US « Our Compass

Erbe: Revival of horse slaughter to cost taxpayers | ScrippsNews (http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/65615 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 12:12 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Oh lord, what's next? One child per family, or if feeling generous , 2 per family?? Exceeding the allowed number would result in forced abortion???

Old 11-30-2011, 12:17 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
*kshe exhales a long, sad sigh for the horses*
How incredibly sad.
Whats the benefit here?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:49 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
*kshe exhales a long, sad sigh for the horses*
How incredibly sad.
Whats the benefit here?
Horse meat was popular in the US during the Great Depression and WW2.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Horse meat was popular in the US during the Great Depression and WW2.
Horses were too important to really be popular as a protein in those times, with all the gas rationing, no $, and so forth.
I'm kind of an old chick that paid attention to what the agrarian grandfolks had to say about all that, they were born in 1900 and 1905, respectively.
I have never read or heard anything that said horse meat was an alternative source of protein.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:04 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,284 times
Why not? it's as good meat as any?
I don't see the differentiation between slaughtering a horse and slaughtering a pig, especially as pigs in particular are recognized for being quite smart relatively to other animals.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:04 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Prisoners gotta eat too.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Why not? it's as good meat as any?
I don't see the differentiation between slaughtering a horse and slaughtering a pig, especially as pigs in particular are recognized for being quite smart relatively to other animals.
Have you ever ridden a pig?
Plowed a field with one?
Somehow, I just dont see the Derby being the same if it were just a pig race.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:11 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
another step on our way to becoming a 3rd world country.

way to go.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:22 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Ok,now for some realism.....I would say I have probably bought and sold as many horses and mules over time as anyone on C-D (hence the screen name)...Here's the REAL deal.

When they stopped allowing the killer buyers to purchase horses,the sick,weak and injured horses suffered a much less humane end....they have been left to die in the pastures,turned loose to die,shot by people who've never killed a horse before and botched the job etc etc etc.

Owners used to bring these animals to the auction barns to sell to the killer buyers...they were put in a single pen usually and it was rough on them....usually the morons who hauled them to the slaughter houses had no class,idea how to even haul horses nor compassion...BUT..the horses came to a quick end.

Since the killer buyers have been shut down I have witnessed MUCH more animal cruelty,buried more horses with my backhoe than ever before for neighbors and called Animal Control & the Sheriff's office on abuse cases more than anytime in my entire life.

Believe it or not it's a much more humane way for a horse to go out than starving/freezing to death from lack of feed in the winter because some scumbag can't sell the horse,but refuses to spend the money feeding it because it has an infirmity and is worthless moneywise.

I would like to see a law enacted along with it where an inspector could make sure the drivers were treating them right and would serve prison time for abuse...I hauled cattle long distance for many moons and know for a fact that it can be done humanely and with a minimum of stress if done right...it's the methhead wannabe cowboy drivers that hurt the animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies