Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times

Advertisements

When the GOP abandons their idiotic and intrusive stands on reproductive issues then the GOP can talk about small government. The OP is ludicrous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Government should be reduced until it fits inside a vacant Circuit City store.
Not sure about that but at least to a size we, as a nation, can afford.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:49 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
How about all the liberal politicians supporting removing bans on gay marriage.

Or legalized abortion.

Or legalizing marijuana at least for medical use.

Most so-called conservatives that post on this board are not really conservatives.
...still waiting...

Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why do conservatives blather so much about how bad government is yet grow it when they take power?
When has a conservative "taken power"?

Old 11-30-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Quoting people doesn't make you right, especially Reagan. Chill out with the Fox News and Limbaugh.
Doesn't make me wrong either.

I notice how you are unable to refute the quotes...

Old 11-30-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's true. Reagan spoke all the right talking points about small government to get elected then grew the government by 25%.

But one can blather about wanting a small government but what do you want to give up? Everything the government does is because we as a people decided that X was something we wanted the government to do.

I like the fact that the government inspects meat and food.
I like the fact that the government mandates that airlines replace parts on a government schedule instead of when the airline feels like it.

In terms of spending, the government is a big insurance company with an army. Seniors want Social Security and Medicare, and I do too when I'm a senior.

So, conservatives can talk all they want about the nostalgia of the good o'le days of 1910, but think about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire and be glad that we now have worker safety regulations.

Besides, in the real world the GOP doesn't want small government. Gingrich made a career talking up small government and then made a career selling himself to corporations who wanted to cash-in on big government. Corporations don't donate to the Republican Party so they can downsize government contract.
Using your logic, if we were all taxed at 90% then government would be even more outstanding at protecting us from real life.

If you want the federal bureaucracy to be your mommy and daddy then you should volunteer to send it more of your money.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
When has a conservative "taken power"?
The real power in this country is with the wealthiest class. I'll take a guess that many are conservative.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:03 PM

386 posts, read 232,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
The real power in this country is with the wealthiest class. I'll take a guess that many are conservative.
In general, conservatism leads to prosperity. You should try it, or do you have a problem with prosperity.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:05 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahaina Lopaka View Post
In general, conservatism leads to prosperity. You should try it, or do you have a problem with prosperity.
Off topic post. One of my biggest pet peeves is hijacking of threads. Create a seperate thread and I'll be willing to engage. Till then, hasta.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:15 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
That's true. Reagan spoke all the right talking points about small government to get elected then grew the government by 25%.

But one can blather about wanting a small government but what do you want to give up? Everything the government does is because we as a people decided that X was something we wanted the government to do.

I like the fact that the government inspects meat and food.
I like the fact that the government mandates that airlines replace parts on a government schedule instead of when the airline feels like it.

In terms of spending, the government is a big insurance company with an army. Seniors want Social Security and Medicare, and I do too when I'm a senior.

So, conservatives can talk all they want about the nostalgia of the good o'le days of 1910, but think about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire and be glad that we now have worker safety regulations.

Besides, in the real world the GOP doesn't want small government. Gingrich made a career talking up small government and then made a career selling himself to corporations who wanted to cash-in on big government. Corporations don't donate to the Republican Party so they can downsize government contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Using your logic, if we were all taxed at 90% then government would be even more outstanding at protecting us from real life.

If you want the federal bureaucracy to be your mommy and daddy then you should volunteer to send it more of your money.
That's a fantastic leap in logic. Protecting the environment, worker safety, food safety ,etc., are very cost effective and improve productivity along with improving life quality. Instead of me having to spend time and effort researching the maintenance practices of all the airlines, I can rest assured that the government is up on that and I can devote my time to my primary business -- not to mention all the deaths and injuries these regulations prevent.

Moreover, I find it breathtaking that someone would argue against food inspection. Dismissing that as 'government being your mommy and daddy' is missing the point entirely. I have not the skill or resources to perform these tasks and we should be delighted that we can get the government to do it for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies