Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times

Advertisements

They definitely exist, especially in Miami, where I lived for several years. Many of the older Cuban-Americand who receive welfare (SSI, Medicare, Section 8) are staunch conservatives, mainly borne out of their anti-Castro sentiments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
They definitely exist, especially in Miami, where I lived for several years. Many of the older Cuban-Americand who receive welfare (SSI, Medicare, Section 8) are staunch conservatives, mainly borne out of their anti-Castro sentiments.
Damn that communist Castro!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Anybody using any form of social safety net would be a part of welfare program. Do conservatives belong to an America from a different planet?
How many years have you been paying payroll taxes into Social Security and Medicare? I have been paying into SS for 67 years and Medicare for its whole life. That is what you are talking about, isn't it?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
What a strange question considering the Top 10 poorest states in the country are all Red States.

America's wealthiest (and poorest) states - Sep. 16, 2010
fail
8 of those 'red' states have been democrats strongholds for the last 100 years at the state level

even west virginia..BOTH senators are dems

some of the biggest welfare states....new york and california and mississippi...all very much liberal states....and missi also has the highest black population in the country

new york SPENDS more per capita on WELFARE than almost anyother state, 'blue' states like NY have more wefare reciepiants than 10 of those 'red' states combined..they are number 8

top 7 USA entities per capita of welfare

1. DISTRICT OF COLOMBIA (wash DC)
2. GUAM
3. Rhode Island
4. Tenn
5. california
6. Maine
7. alaska
8. new york

the 'red' states also have the biggest share of military posts in the county

highest dropout rates....nevada and illinois...very blue

texas also PRODUCES 40% of the ENERGY that California USES...yet

cali is the second biggest carbon emiter.....behind...texas

btw I am a new yorker (a northerner)

the problem is the democrats and their love for welfare and other social programs...the more they push these programs the more the wealthier states will pay for the poorer states. the more they push the "tax the rich" mantra, the more the rich will be paying for the poor.......NJ has more people that are considered wealthy, than it has people below the poverty line...a state like SC has more workingclass and poor than it has wealthy.....its simple math....and there is a simple solution,,, vote out the tax and spend liberals

Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The only welfare receipents I have ever met were coservatives. I am white, but I grew up in a very poor area, where there were lots of other poor whites. Many of them were on welfare. When I first started talking politics with them, I was shocked to learn that .. yep, they're voting Republican. They hate "blacks on welfare" who are only "gaming the system" much more than other non welfare conservatives do. They clearly see how they are hard working folks down on their luck who deserve a little assitance -- but those shiftless liberal welfare types ... aka minorities... why they're something else entirely! Just the other day at the welfare office (where they were to get their benefits) they saw this unwed Mexican woman with five kids do something outrageous!
What would that outrageous act be? She gave birth?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How many years have you been paying payroll taxes into Social Security and Medicare? I have been paying into SS for 67 years and Medicare for its whole life. That is what you are talking about, isn't it?
Roy, you're on welfare, entitlements.

Just because you've paid into something doesn't make you immune from something you speak against. It is only an act of downplaying the fact.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
fail
8 of those 'red' states have been democrats strongholds for the last 100 years at the state level

even west virginia..BOTH senators are dems
You can't be right since THEY always check their statistics and where they come from.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
What a strange question considering the Top 10 poorest states in the country are all Red States.

America's wealthiest (and poorest) states - Sep. 16, 2010
What does that have to do with welfare?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31910310/The_...Welfare_States

As you can see, of the top 15 states 13 are blue states.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Default Have You Ever Met a Conservative Welfare Recipient?

Yes I've met both Conservative and liberals who are receiving welfare.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Roy, you mean you paid for the retirement and medical benefits for your parents? How generous of you. The younger ones amongst us, particularly the conservative ones, aren't in such a generous mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies