Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 12:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,894,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You'd have a hard time proving humans have evolved changes in handedness within such a short span of time based on some views of religious believers.

Depends on what you mean by "genetically". Is there a single "gay gene"? No. Is homosexuality pre-determined in the womb through a combination of genetic and hormonal factors? Yes.

Are the causes of sexual orientation completely known? No. But it's been well established by all medical and scientific organizations that the overwhelming majority of humans have no voluntary control over what orientation they end up with.

I think the point of this argument is that the "it's a choice" crowd is displaying a ridiculous amount of ignorance over the issue. Ask just about any gay person on earth and they will say they absolutely did not choose their orientation. And since homosexuality is by itself completely harmless, there is absolutely no reason to make it illegal or discriminate based on it as Nigeria is doing anymore than there was a reason to discriminate against left-handed people for being corrupted by Satan.

People always fear what they don't understand. Homosexuality is one of those issues most humans cannot relate to. Add in a few misinterpreted, archaic religious proof texts pulled out of context from a book compiled by the Catholic Church that large groups of people hold as personally handed to us by God himself, and you've got a recipe for blind hatred, discrimination, and punishment of gay people.
how do you determine somebody from being "born gay" or "choice"

My friends mother always wanted a daughter..she struck out. On her third she had another son. What did she do?? dressed him in dresses as a little girl. He is gay now. Coincidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Left-handness is genetic (http://http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=124 - broken link). Both of my parents are left-hand writers. I tried to write with my right hand and I can hardly do it. It's like my right-hand is weak in this area. I usually eat with a fork or spoon with my left too. Other than writing and eating, my right side is strongest, physically.
my daughter used her left hand to pick up things..we reinforced doing things with her right. She is right handed now... does nothing with her left.

My two sons are lefty... I left them alone. Hopefully the MLB calls

Old 12-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Personally I feel it is a defect in human being to whine and complain about others personal lives. Am I right?
Yes you're right. Glad I don't do it.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:06 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,730,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post

We do not live to soley procreate but if we want to continue on existing as Homo sapiens, then there needs to be some of us having children. With 6.8 billion of us, we are sitting pretty comfortably right now, but if everyone all of a sudden stop procreating, then our species will die out.
We just broke 7 billion a couple weeks ago, and the majority of humanity is not sitting comfortably. They are poor and starving. I think most people tend to ignore that the bulk of humanity is not an upper middle class American.

Quote:
With all that said, I consider myself very tolerant of homsexuality, as long as they remain a minority. Not that I believe homosexuality is a choice, but say if some strange scenario where Homosexuals make up, lets say 60% of the total population, that will be a huge problem. But of course, I am certain something like that will never happen.. ever.
Well, it won't ever happen since statistically homosexuals have not fluctuated much. However, why would it be a huge problem? You do realize gays can procreate right? Just because they aren't attracted to the opposite sex doesn't mean they are sterile. Tons of gay people have biological children with the opposite sex. Many of them got married and had children to try and fit in with society. Even if 90% of humanity was gay, they would have no problem keeping the earth populated if the need arose.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,325,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz
dressed him in dresses as a little girl. He is gay now. Coincidence?
Yes.

Clothing has nothing to do with attraction to a particular sex.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:16 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,730,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
how do you determine somebody from being "born gay" or "choice"
Most gays know from a very young age that they are "different". And their brains are physically wired different as indicated by PET scans.

If Jaymax pops in here, she has a long list of scientific studies showing the biological difference between gays and straights.

And it's basic logic. When you see a beautiful woman walk by, what happens? Do you stop for a minute, ask yourself if you find her face and body attractive, and then say, hmm, I think I'm going to find this woman attractive right now. But then if a man walks by, you examine him, and decide, hmm, he's a little too muscular and rough for my taste, I'm not going to find the man attractive?

Or do you see a beautiful woman and feel an immediate, involuntary reaction to her attractiveness?

It's no different for gays. There is no voluntary, mental processing involved when we determine someone's attractiveness. Therefore we never make the conscious choice of who we like. It's hard-wired in our brains.

Quote:
My friends mother always wanted a daughter..she struck out. On her third she had another son. What did she do?? dressed him in dresses as a little girl. He is gay now. Coincidence?
Actually, with 3 sons, it's a relatively high likely hood that one would end up gay. The more sons a woman has, the more likely she will have a gay one. Has to do with the hormonal changes in the womb for each subsequent child.

If a woman has twin boys, and one is gay, why is it that the other has a 50% chance of being gay too?

Dressing him up did not turn him gay. Most cross dressers are not gay. By your logic, they should be since they wear women's clothing.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes.

Clothing has nothing to do with attraction to a particular sex.
clothing has a lot to do with gender roles...perceived or not...

Old 12-02-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Most gays know from a very young age that they are "different". And their brains are physically wired different as indicated by PET scans.

If Jaymax pops in here, she has a long list of scientific studies showing the biological difference between gays and straights.

And it's basic logic. When you see a beautiful woman walk by, what happens? Do you stop for a minute, ask yourself if you find her face and body attractive, and then say, hmm, I think I'm going to find this woman attractive right now. But then if a man walks by, you examine him, and decide, hmm, he's a little too muscular and rough for my taste, I'm not going to find the man attractive?

Or do you see a beautiful woman and feel an immediate, involuntary reaction to her attractiveness?

It's no different for gays. There is no voluntary, mental processing involved when we determine someone's attractiveness. Therefore we never make the conscious choice of who we like. It's hard-wired in our brains.

Actually, with 3 sons, it's a relatively high likely hood that one would end up gay. The more sons a woman has, the more likely she will have a gay one. Has to do with the hormonal changes in the womb for each subsequent child.

If a woman has twin boys, and one is gay, why is it that the other has a 50% chance of being gay too?

Dressing him up did not turn him gay. Most cross dressers are not gay. By your logic, they should be since they wear women's clothing.
lol yes she already poster her canned links....none of which have been replicated or hold much value within the scientific community.

they have not proven at all that it is hard-wired..

Old 12-02-2011, 01:18 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,325,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
clothing has a lot to do with gender roles...perceived or not...
Gender roles have nothing to do with sexuality.

Try again.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:23 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,161,201 times
Quote:
Fiyero;21951189]We just broke 7 billion a couple weeks ago, and the majority of humanity is not sitting comfortably. They are poor and starving. I think most people tend to ignore that the bulk of humanity is not an upper middle class American.
You missed the point. What I meant by sitting comfortably, I was referring to our population being so large that we are not even close to the brink of extinction. The economic status of the majority of the people in this world is sort of irrevelant to the subject of homosexuality in hand.

Quote:
Well, it won't ever happen since statistically homosexuals have not fluctuated much. However, why would it be a huge problem? You do realize gays can procreate right? Just because they aren't attracted to the opposite sex doesn't mean they are sterile. Tons of gay people have biological children with the opposite sex. Many of them got married and had children to try and fit in with society. Even if 90% of humanity was gay, they would have no problem keeping the earth populated if the need arose.
Again, you missed interpreted my post. Why would out and about homosexuals commit such an act anyway? The point of being an open homsexual means the person has announced he or she is exclusively attracted to people of their respective gender/sex. An open homosexual resorting to a heterosexual activity(having sex with the opposite gender) for the sake of having children will just validate many people's premise that homosexuality is a choice and will give people a reason to not take homosexuals seriously.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 12-02-2011 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies