Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
did you ask all of them this
I have no need to do that, they vote for the pay of the board and CEO's on a proxy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:01 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
His comp package was negotiated before the companies lack of performance took place. It's in his contract. They're just not handing it out as a "thank you" gift.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And?

The company has long argued that he deserves this cash because he rescued the company from bankruptcy in 1987. That may be true, but the company’s stock is down 40% in the last five years.

What the hell does the price of stock have to do with the pay of the CEO?

Btw, the stock is down because the profits are down from $1.4B to $82M
It should by securities law have EVERYTHING to do with the pay of a CEO. He is responsible for the huge loses the investors he WORKS for have incurred. These CEO's are no better than corporate parasites. They don't own the corporation but they sure act like they do. How can we have any confidence in the stock market as investors when the top dog in the company rakes in tens of millions in salary while we the owners take hundreds of millions in loses. It's just freakin nonsence.

How much does the "CEO" of the American military make? The Chairman of the chiefs of staff. You can not tell me that any corporate CEO has a more difficult and important job than that. Does he get a big fat bonus for doing a really good job? Of course not, doing an excellent job is part of the job discription and so should it be in the corporate world.

If a corporate CEO is paid 10 million a year, can we not expect he will perform well for that? I guess not. They pay themselves insane money for failure just imagine what they expect when they actually do THEIR JOB!!!

I think that the government should pass a law stating that any salary over 5 million a year is no longer tax deductible and must be reported as profit by the corporation. That would help to put a stop to this greedy madness.

Last edited by lucknow; 11-30-2011 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I should by securities law have EVERYTHING to do with the pay of a CEO. He is responsible for the huge loses the investors he WORKS for have incurred. These CEO's are no better than corporate parasites. They don't own the corporation but they sure act like they do. How can we have any confidence in the stock market as investors when the top dog in the company rakes in tens of millions in salary while we the owners take hundreds of millions in loses. It's just freakin nonsence.

How much does the "CEO" of the American military make? The Chairman of the chiefs of staff. You can not tell me that any corporate CEO has a more difficult and important job than that. Does he get a big fat bonus for doing a really good job? Of course not, doing an excellent job is part of the job discription and so should it be in the corporate world.

If a corporate CEO is paid 10 million a year, can we not expect he will perform well for that? I guess not. They pay themselves insane money for failure just imagine what they expect when they actually do THEIR JOB!!!

I think that the government should pass a law stating that any salary over 5 million a year is no longer tax deductible and must be reported as profit by the corporation. That would help to put a stop to this greedy madness.
Ahh wrong. A company can have 1000 shares issued and each one be worth $15 Million or have 1000000000 shares issues at $15 each. The net worth of the company wouldnt change

Furthermore, as a stockholder, if I VOTE on the CEO's pay of $100M, which reduces MY equity by reducing profits, who are you to tell me I cant pay my "employees" $100M a year?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 PM

858 posts, read 707,754 times
Quote:
And?

The company has long argued that he deserves this cash because he rescued the company from bankruptcy in 1987. That may be true, but the company’s stock is down 40% in the last five years.

What the hell does the price of stock have to do with the pay of the CEO?

Btw, the stock is down because the profits are down from $1.4B to $82M

If that's the reasoning we are going with then how come all the raises for middle class workers are being cut and/or frozen during these times? I mean, we were working hard and helped the company grow. Why is the pension being cut, 401K not being matched and benefits reduced? Many workers have had to take a pay reduction on top of that. Oh yeah..we're not CEO's so who cares.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
If that's the reasoning we are going with then how come all the raises for middle class workers are being cut and/or frozen during these times? I mean, we were working hard and helped the company grow. Why is the pension being cut, 401K not being matched and benefits reduced? Many workers have had to take a pay reduction on top of that. Oh yeah..we're not CEO's so who cares.
Why are raises being cut during these times? You are seriously asking why, during periods of massive unemployment, there isnt a need to increase wages? Stop and think about it for a second.

To even further comment, middle class workers pay arent dictated by stock pricing either I own penny stocks, and I own stocks selling for $100 a share.. The employees wages are about the same because their job functions are the same.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:08 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Ahh wrong. A company can have 1000 shares issued and each one be worth $15 Million or have 1000000000 shares issues at $15 each. The net worth of the company wouldnt change

Furthermore, as a stockholder, if I VOTE on the CEO's pay of $100M, which reduces MY equity by reducing profits, who are you to tell me I cant pay my "employees" $100M a year?
Well that's the entire point. The small shareholders who may even hold a majority of the stock don't really get a say in exectutive compensation. So, you are telling me that when your $25,000 investment is now worth $10,000 you are OK paying the CEO a hundred million for his efforts? That is nothing but robbery anyway you want to look at it.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well that's the entire point. The small shareholders who may even hold a majority of the stock don't really get a say in exectutive compensation. So, you are telling me that when your $25,000 investment is now worth $10,000 you are OK paying the CEO a hundred million for his efforts? That is nothing but robbery anyway you want to look at it.
i guess some people just dont get it.. i wonder what his next bonus will be a lot for nothing..

Old 11-30-2011, 08:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
does not suprise me in the least

nothing has changed,!> or is it hope and change..??

Nabors

So, what's your point ?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:36 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, what's your point ?

you figure it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies