Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:18 AM

623 posts, read 234,069 times

Advertisements

That combines elements of the right and left?

Pro 2nd amendment
Pro life
Local/state control of education
Universal healthcare
Paid maternity leave
Actually making companies PAY the taxes they owe not allowing them all these loopholes etc
Pro free speech no matter the topic
Education k-college that doesn't cost us anything. Somehow we manage to pay teachers in k-12 without having to pay for our kids education but as soon as college comes all of sudden you need to go into debt to achieve that. Part of that is getting government backed loans taken away,this makes the colleges raise prices because they know government will pay for it all in some way.

This isn't an insane task is it!? I can't be the only one who wants this? Can I?

Old 05-02-2019, 08:24 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
A party similar to that already exists:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Solidarity_Party
https://solidarity-party.org/

Personally I find it intriguing.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
A party similar to that already exists:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Solidarity_Party
https://solidarity-party.org/

Personally I find it intriguing.
Eh somewhat. A party I am talking about would be 100% pro American. That's another issue. Complete halt to illegal immigration and a STRICT policy on legal immigration. We have MORE than enough people here who can do the jobs here. ESPECIALLY if companies would sign a contract with students and then the company pays for their education if the student agrees to work for said company for so many years to pay them back for the education. Its a win win for everyone there.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:36 AM

317 posts, read 496,596 times
Or better yet, lets get rid of all the political parties and let people run for office based on their own personal beliefs. Then the country can come together with rational conversations, rather that being divided into two sides that hate each other.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
Or better yet, lets get rid of all the political parties and let people run for office based on their own personal beliefs. Then the country can come together with rational conversations, rather that being divided into two sides that hate each other.
If only someone had suggest that back when we became a country.....Oh wait...President Washington did. I agree completely! It would make it harder for lobbyists to get their way as well when they don't have a PARTY to grasp onto like the leaches they are.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:49 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,936,071 times
I'd like a party that incorporates left and right. But the trick is in which elements you choose.

For example, you state Pro-Life. Right now we have people on the right that want to ban all abortions, and people on the left that want to allow abortion up to the point of birth. Why not go back to a compromise position, as in the original Roe vs Wade decision - no restrictions during the first trimester, and the state is able to protect the unborn in the 3rd trimester, or after the point of viability?

On immigration we have people on one side who want to build walls and stop all immigration and people on the other side who would not enforce our current laws against illegal immigration. Why not a middle ground that beefs up border security while at the same time making it easier for certain people to become citizens, such as the "Dreamers", people with skills that we need in our economy and people with legitimate asylum claims?

You're dead wrong about "we have more than enough people here". In the hard sciences, the majority of new hires are from places like China and India, because we are not turning out enough PhDs among native-born Americans. Also, our birthrate is too low to supply enough young workers to keep Social Security afloat.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:04 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Many minor political parties were established because of the Democratic and Republican parties not being left or right enough. It would take a massive effort in a platform, funding and strong candidates in local, state, and federal elections for a minor party to become successful.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:16 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Many minor political parties were established because of the Democratic and Republican parties not being left or right enough. It would take a massive effort in a platform, funding and strong candidates in local, state, and federal elections for a minor party to become successful.
Of hearing/reading about the major and smaller American political parties in the major American news sources, a similar thing can be said about regarding the Big 5 of American movie companies. In order of current domestic movie market shares, those five are Disney/Fox, WB, Universal, Columbia/Sony, and Paramount. Thus, they are like the GOP and DNC in the sense you are most likely to see/read stories relating to them. Then you have mini-majors, of which I think Lionsgate and MGM are the biggest, that you will occasionally read/hear about from in major American news sources. I believe the #1 mini-major for American political parties is the Libertarian Party. For even smaller American political parties and American movie companies, you might want to resort to indie and more niche news sources. I am not sure what the political news source equivalent of it would be, but I think IndieWire is the largest American entertainment news source devoted to indie media.

Last edited by Eumaois; 05-02-2019 at 10:03 AM..

Old 05-02-2019, 09:17 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
I think there's not enough $$$ to make a new party.

No matter how much the (D)s and (R)s may argue and point fingers, you can bet $$$ to donuts they'd mount a united front against any possibility of a viable third party and they've got lots of $$$ to fund their opposition. It's a shame Trump didn't run third party, he have actually been able to pull it off and do some real good for the country.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:01 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,012,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think there's not enough $$$ to make a new party.

No matter how much the (D)s and (R)s may argue and point fingers, you can bet $$$ to donuts they'd mount a united front against any possibility of a viable third party and they've got lots of $$$ to fund their opposition. It's a shame Trump didn't run third party, he have actually been able to pull it off and do some real good for the country.
Yes, the two parties operate as a duopoly. They compete in some respects, but if threatened by an outside force, they will band together to quash it.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-dem-food.html

Quote:
The 'politics industry,' as they call it, is unique in that it writes its own rules. They give the example of Mike Castle (R, DE) who was primaried in 2009 by Christine O'Donnell, a far-right loon. He lost in the primary. He almost surely could have won in the general running as independent. But Delaware, like 44 states, has a 'sore loser' law that stopped him from doing so. The 'sore loser' law means increased leverage for the two majors. It also tends to freeze out moderates like Castle. A similar thing happened to Joe Lieberman (D,CT), but he was able to keep his seat. CT is one of six states with no 'sore loser' rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies