Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:01 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,312,279 times

Advertisements

80 Co-sponsors for the Birthright Citizen Act of 2011, and not ONE democrat supports it. Why? The country overwhelmingly is in support of ending birthright citizenship, republicans and democrats alike by a margin of 7-3. Why aren't the democrat members representing their constituents on this issue?

H.R. 140: Birthright Citizenship Act of 2011 (GovTrack.us)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,750,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
80 Co-sponsors for the Birthright Citizen Act of 2011, and not ONE democrat supports it. Why? The country overwhelmingly is in support of ending birthright citizenship, republicans and democrats alike by a margin of 7-3. Why aren't the democrat members representing their constituents on this issue?

Would it be retroactive?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Would it be retroactive?
I highly doubt that would even be possible. My computer or internet connection is not allowing me to read the text of the bill, however.

ETA: Got the summary:
Quote:
Birthright Citizenship Act of 2011 - Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to consider a person born in the United States "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States for citizenship at birth purposes if the person is born in the United States of parents, one of whom is: (1) a U.S. citizen or national, (2) a lawful permanent resident alien whose residence is in the United States, or (3) an alien performing active service in the U.S. Armed Forces.
Nothing about making it retroactive so far.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I highly doubt that would even be possible. My computer or internet connection is not allowing me to read the text of the bill, however.
It should be. If you can't prove your ancestors came here legally when they migrated, you should get the boot.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:20 PM

Nope, not retroactive.

Quote:
(b) Applicability- The amendment made by subsection (a)(3) shall not be construed to affect the citizenship or nationality status of any person born before the date of the enactment of this Act.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
It should be. If you can't prove your ancestors came here legally when they migrated, you should get the boot.
Run for Congress and introduce your own bill then.

Care to answer why the democrats don't support the Act though when an overwhelming majority of the public does?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,379,286 times
Quote:

That's why we have a representative republic, instead of a pure democracy- because sometimes the majority has it's head up it's ass .

Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Run for Congress and introduce your own bill then.

Care to answer why the democrats don't support the Act though when an overwhelming majority of the public does?
I'm not sure why Democrats don't support the bill.

An overwhelming majority of the public says we should tax the rich more instead of cutting social programs. Why do the Republicans not also support those actions if the majority is asking for that to happen?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:28 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,534,369 times
I've said it before and I will restate it again. The reason we will not end birthright citizenship any time soon is due to the fact that this is a big incentive to doctors and high tech persons from other countries.

Think Michelle Malkin's parents, for example.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
That's why we have a representative republic, instead of a pure democracy- because sometimes the majority has it's head up it's ass .
Ahh, so this is a case of "I know what's best for you" syndrome? The democrats sure love to dictate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies