Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

These programs might have been created with good intentions, but all they've done is perpetuate a system of dependency on the government. What a shame. What was once temporary assistance has become a way of life. Who could possibly be in favor of that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Yeah...let's not feed any kids with that money...let's save THAT money to give to the banks,govt contractors,farm subsidies,politician's retirement/wages,corp. bailouts etc etc...American kids can go hungry so we can feed the fat cats.

Posts like the OP make me question if there are any compassionate Americans left in our country that would rather help their countrymen instead of big business....it's a shame.
Double dipping if their parents are getting food stamps for those same kids. One or the other has to go.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
Overall, the government spends about $11 billion per year on the lunch program. It's less than a drop in the bucket.
Seeing as how the US gives 120 countries financial foreign aid, I'm sure they can shave off some of that foreign aid to cover the lunch program.

This is one reason in 2009 Obooboo justified his budget proposal:

Quote:
Puts the United States Government on a path to double U.S. foreign assistance by 2015. This funding will help the world’s weakest states reduce poverty, combat global health threats, promote broad-based economic growth, govern peacefully and expand democracy worldwide.
Double US foreign assistance? I guess he has a plan to be in office to enforce that. And if he should be re-elected those that put him in office better not complain as the US continues to tank in every way possible because he may very well succeed on doubling the assistance. On his peaceful attempt to expand democracy worldwide (1) he has managed to do just the opposite, and (2) the US does not have the right or the responsibility to force democracy on other countries. The US didn't sit on it's hands when it thought there was a threat to communism taking over.

Last edited by softblueyz; 12-01-2011 at 11:46 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
These programs might have been created with good intentions, but all they've done is perpetuate a system of dependency on the government. What a shame. What was once temporary assistance has become a way of life. Who could possibly be in favor of that???
It's being going on since the program was created. Only now people are taking notice? A bit of oversight seems to be the norm. Once again, people taking a brush and painting everyone the same.

Go back to understand why it was created and if you can get your head around what has happened to many people today, you would see that it is a justified program for those who did not make it a way of life, but due to circumstances beyond their control it has become life for them as they know it now. Many of the people who have applied for benefits over the past 2 and 3 years were working productive people who probably hate where they have landed and hope to get out of it and get back to something that resembles what they knew their life to be before depending on goverment handouts. Many of those people who apply for partial assistance still work but because of the economy, they fall in the poverty category.

Yes, for many it was and is a life style, handed down generation to generation but people weren't very vocal about it and accepted it as the "norm". Now because the economy, all of a sudden people see it as a problem. For many people in the past 2-3 years welfare wasn't a way of life, and having to go that route they feel that their dignity and pride was stripped away when they had to resort to government aid to survive. All I can say is that when it comes to having to turn to the government for assistance, no one should think "that could never happen to me. I would never take a handout from the government." I say to you: "Never say never".

I really wish people could step outside their little world and get in touch with reality, or at least become better informed.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
A system of dependency? Just because a kid is getting a free school lunch?

Who could be in favor of that? Geeeeezus...I AM!!! How can you possibly get heartburn over free school lunches for American schoolchildren when we drop so many billions and even trillions on crap that benefits no one of consequence. Our children are gonna be the caretakers of this country when we get old should we be so lucky. Doesn't that mean anything to you people?

A few fishsticks, some corn or beans, or french fries..a burger, or slice of pizza, a burrito...carton of chocolate milk...whatever...this stuff is disturbing you THAT MUCH?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
We have some schools serving breakfasts and lunches to students even though school isn't in session.
The nanny state is allowing themselves to become the free food counter for anyone willing to come and get the food.
So it's free (taxpayer pays though) and of course lots come. Not a shocker.
Think for a moment...it's just food. That's all it is. If some schools are serving lunches to some kids even when it's not in session, so what? You're acting as if they're handing out gold bullion or something.

This country has a cheap food policy. We subsidize farmers to the tune of at least 20 billion dollars a year in direct payments. No one is up in arms about that, but to see some poor kid getting a single meal leaves people enraged, and i will never understand that. It's simply unfathomable.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:37 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
A system of dependency? Just because a kid is getting a free school lunch?
While I agree with most of what you are saying, and food is cheap, yes...it does create a system of dependency. When you can DEPEND on someone or something to give you something you need then you stop worrying about your ability to provide it. Be all for free breakfast, lunch and dinner for school kids if you want, but don't ignore that fact.

My issue with this all is that schools shouldn't be restaurants. Unfortunately schools are not places of learning, they are second homes, therapy centers, social service providers, etc. All of which help contribute to why they aren't doing that good a job actually educating. They are spread too thin.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
While I agree with most of what you are saying, and food is cheap, yes...it does create a system of dependency. When you can DEPEND on someone or something to give you something you need then you stop worrying about your ability to provide it. Be all for free breakfast, lunch and dinner for school kids if you want, but don't ignore that fact.

My issue with this all is that schools shouldn't be restaurants. Unfortunately schools are not places of learning, they are second homes, therapy centers, social service providers, etc. All of which help contribute to why they aren't doing that good a job actually educating. They are spread too thin.
Even if it's a system of dependency to a degree....it's only for a certain amount of years. Those kids eventually leave school. And most of them end up just fine. Some don't, but what's the alternative?

I can understand your point. Still though, it's simply not a big deal to spend 11 billion a year to feed American children. Seems that there are a hell of a lot of expenditures to complain about before complaining about that one.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:38 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
No summer lunches when school isn't in, cut pensions for government workers and the number of government employees.
Why stop there? Why not go back to slavery and and not pay teachers anything?

You can always reduce costs by cutting worker salaries. That's what the robber barons did. While they were building mansions and buying yachts, they were cutting their worker's salaries. Just as immoral is slashing public employee pensions so we can maintain low tax-rates on the rich.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece ;
While I agree with most of what you are saying, and food is cheap, yes...it does create a system of dependency. When you can DEPEND on someone or something to give you something you need then you stop worrying about your ability to provide it. Be all for free breakfast, lunch and dinner for school kids if you want, but don't ignore that fact. My issue with this all is that schools shouldn't be restaurants.
Where is there any evidence that the free lunch program causes dependency? One can surmise and peculate but are those peculations facts or unsubstantiated theories taken as facts?

Schools aren't restaurants but the data shows that fed children learn better.

Last edited by MTAtech; 12-02-2011 at 04:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies