Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times

Advertisements

It's part of the military structure.
Secondly, we could play this game all day. Why do we provide insurance for federal employees when they get paid x? It's a very different question from a social program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:18 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
WOW, the stupidity in this thread....

The ONLY people that get ANY free meal in the military....are the people that live in the barracks. And BTW, they have money taken out of thier pockets because of that.

You cannot go into ANY chow hall, on ANY military instillation and get free food, unless you have this little card that say you can....and YOU have to LIVE in the barracks....

The average Military person, not living in the barracks has to (no don't let this confuse anyone) pay for it....if they want to eat at the chow hall on a military instilliation....

Facts should be learned before non-sence is posted....

Old 12-01-2011, 08:18 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
The military does not provide "free" lunches or any other meals to its servicemembers. It's part of the compensation package. If you look at just base salary, a private makes about $18,000 a year. On top of that, he gets room and board .. which means he gets "free" meals in the chow hall and a small room in the barracks, which is inspected at any time.

If that private sticks around long enough and decides to make it a career, in about 15 years, he'll be making around $45,000 a year or so ... on top of that, he will still get room and board. By now he's too old and has too much rank to live in the barracks, so the Army will pay him a sum of money to pay for rent. The sum varies depending on where he is stationed. Obviously, it gives less to people stationed in Kentucky than it does to people stationed in Hawaii. The Army also gives him about $250 a month for food, which it takes away when he deploys because he again gets "free" food in the chow halls.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
If you get the allowance for food (usually from living off base or in base housing) you pay to eat at the chow hall. At least that is how it worked when I was in.
Quote:
The military does not provide "free" lunches or any other meals to its servicemembers. It's part of the compensation package. If you look at just base salary, a private makes about $18,000 a year. On top of that, he gets room and board .. which means he gets "free" meals in the chow hall and a small room in the barracks, which is inspected at any time.

If that private sticks around long enough and decides to make it a career, in about 15 years, he'll be making around $45,000 a year or so ... on top of that, he will still get room and board. By now he's too old and has too much rank to live in the barracks, so the Army will pay him a sum of money to pay for rent. The sum varies depending on where he is stationed. Obviously, it gives less to people stationed in Kentucky than it does to people stationed in Hawaii. The Army also gives him about $250 a month for food, which it takes away when he deploys because he again gets "free" food in the chow halls.
Damn, fact's, it may confuse people....

Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Another thread here was complaining about providing free lunches to poor children. That made we wonder about who else we provide free lunches to. The military provides free meals to members of the armed forces. Now I understand that the very lowest paid members may need this to get by, but military pay has increased over the years so why do we need to pay for military personnel who earn more than 30K a year free meals. We could probably save billions by cutting that out.
30K ain't all that and a bowl of grits.

We could save more billions by scrapping a handful of B2's we don't need.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
If you get the allowance for food (usually from living off base or in base housing) you pay to eat at the chow hall. At least that is how it worked when I was in.
That's how it still works.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Another thread here was complaining about providing free lunches to poor children. That made we wonder about who else we provide free lunches to. The military provides free meals to members of the armed forces. Now I understand that the very lowest paid members may need this to get by, but military pay has increased over the years so why do we need to pay for military personnel who earn more than 30K a year free meals. We could probably save billions by cutting that out.

Their pay includes a "meal plan". If you want military to pay for their own grub then raise their salary so they can eat out every meal.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Another thread where you show your total ignorance of the American military

Once again you have lived up to your name...

Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
30K ain't all that and a bowl of grits.

We could save more billions by scrapping a handful of B2's we don't need.
One of my favorite jokes when I'm deployed is to look at my tiny cot in a crappy, poorly insulated room, which I share with several people, as I listen to mortars flying in to kill me and thinking: all this and money too? Somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming!

Those of you who think the military has it so good and we deserve to be cut down to size need to come try our way of life for awhile.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:28 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Because we force them to live in the barracks, where they cannot store and prepare their own food. So what you are suggesting, is that we pay them a standard per diem of about $50 a day, so the can go out to eat at the local restaurants?

What happens when we force them to pack up and live in tents of in the middle of no where, or crowd them onto ships at sea?

What some people, in their ignorance, think military life is like, is astounding to me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies