Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:01 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Because....they put their asses on the line to save yours.
Actually, the opposite. Maybe they are not aware of it, but by being the bloody executive of ill-guided foreign politics they increase the risk for American civilians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:03 AM

1,081 posts, read 915,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambogojo View Post
they do in my school, they also get a private elementary school where you can get as much food as you want......no surprise that the obese kids in my town come from the base.......not saying they dont deserve it, but put a limit on it
That's funny, the DOD school my kids went to didn't even have cafeterias.
I think you're way off base here, pun intended.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:04 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Another thread here was complaining about providing free lunches to poor children. That made we wonder about who else we provide free lunches to. The military provides free meals to members of the armed forces. Now I understand that the very lowest paid members may need this to get by, but military pay has increased over the years so why do we need to pay for military personnel who earn more than 30K a year free meals. We could probably save billions by cutting that out.
Sooooooo, when service personnel are in Afghanistan or Iraq, it's kind of hard to find a Wendy's handy.

When I was in the military we could eat at the mess hall 3 meals a day if we wanted to at no charge. It's part of the deal. We risk our life on a daily basis and you feed us.

Sounds kinda fair to me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Actually, the opposite. Maybe they are not aware of it, but by being the bloody executive of ill-guided foreign politics they increase the risk for American civilians.
That would be the president, right? Since the president is the chief executive of the United States.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
A Marine, Navy guy, and an Army Ranger are all sitting around the camp fire. The marine starts of bladding about how tuff he is and talks about the worst of the worse he has done. The Navy guy starts talking the same smack about how great he and the Navy is, the worst he has done...

The Ranger, never says a word, just stirs the fire with his.....(thrid leg) you figure it out....

Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Because....they put their asses on the line to save yours.
Voluntary service is not so voluntary.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
Another thread here was complaining about providing free lunches to poor children. That made we wonder about who else we provide free lunches to. The military provides free meals to members of the armed forces. Now I understand that the very lowest paid members may need this to get by, but military pay has increased over the years so why do we need to pay for military personnel who earn more than 30K a year free meals. We could probably save billions by cutting that out.
Simply answered.

Join the military, be assigned to Iraq, have your money delivered to your wife and kids, and they can cook and send you your meals.

Or, be stationed on a Submarine where I was. I am sure you should be able to pack enough nutritious healthy food to go underway for 30 days, let alone a 6 month deployment.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You claim that you were in the military, if a you military person is living in the barracks, his food is not free....money is taken out of his check, just like if that same military person who is living in the barracks decides to move out of the barracks, down town, his pay goes up, because they pay him to eat down town.

Not sure why that is so hard....
If you move off base, you get an allowance for food. They are paying for your food! Are you sure you were in the military? you can also get an allowance for housing.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by You can't ban me View Post
"You can't ban me you assh0l3s."~Lulz
You tell him, you can't! Your distinctive style of wit and wisdom must be heard!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:25 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
If you move off base, you get an allowance for food. They are paying for your food! Are you sure you were in the military? you can also get an allowance for housing.
Were YOU in the military.

Since meals are included as a part of your pay, moving out on the town means you are no longer eating at the mess hall normally. SO, you get a allowance for food. [SIZE=2]$323.87/month, a bit less than $10.80 a day.. If you eat at the mess hall you have to pay, if you are receiving this.

Don't spend it all in one place.
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies