Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
So, instead of doing these cuts why not take the money and put it into pubic work projects (stuff like sewer and bridge repairs or upgrades...not stuff like high speed rail)?
Actually there is that bipartisan bill that does almost that. First time I can remember in quite a while that a bill got 100% approval from both Dems and Repubs.

.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Majority Page :.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Yeah, sure, benefits...And the other BS that 50% only pay 1% of taxes?? With Federal, State and local excise taxes, it's probably a higher % that the bottom 50% pay than the top 1% pay of their income.
We arent discussing state and local taxes, the discussion is FEDERAL.. but your "probably higher" isnt really a fact is it?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Good.

It should come to an end.

It isn't a tax cut at all, it is a phony issue.

The payroll tax funds Social Security, and the liberals shouldn't be rooting for this "contribution reduction" to continue at all.

It is to the detriment of a program they consider to be critical, on their side of the aisle.
FICA is unfair to workers that entered the workforce during the 80s and after. The majority of baby boomers retiring now did not pay their fair share into the system when FICA was as low as 1% + 1%. So why are workers now paying six times as much of their income (15.3% total FICA as of 1990) toward this system when from the 30s to the 80s they only payed 2% to 8%? That's the reason the system is in danger, because workers from the earlier era did not pay their fair share into it. It's only fair to bring it back to the average rate since the system began or cut benefits for those that are retired/retiring now.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
So, instead of doing these cuts why not take the money and put it into pubic work projects (stuff like sewer and bridge repairs or upgrades...not stuff like high speed rail)?
They tried that with the stimulus bill. The reason why it failed is because there was no peminant economic benefit. once the bridge, sewer repairs are complete there is no revenues to generate. This is why the CBO stated the Obama stimulus bill will actually reduce the GDP by 2% a year, beginning in 2015. The debt and the interest actually has to come out of the economy with no economic benefit being generated.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:39 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You mean on average $1000 in our pocket. Sorry, I like the $1000 I had 11 months ago. Republicans are so quick to take from the middle class but dead set against taking anything from the people who can afford it the most. Lets see how quick they are to let the Bush tax cuts expire, which benefits the rich disproportionately.
Glad you posted that, I care, some of us care here, too bad most don't here, they are too busy bashing or spend their days here.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I wasn't complaining that they pay the same amount I do.
Which I understood after reading a later post you made. My apologies.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Why are you liberals so focused on the income tax brackets? What about the fact that social security taxes only apply on income up to $106,800?

That's something I, as a conservative, have quite a problem with.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
FICA is unfair to workers that entered the workforce during the 80s and after. The majority of baby boomers retiring now did not pay their fair share into the system when FICA was as low as 1% + 1%. So why are workers now paying six times as much of their income (15.3% total FICA as of 1990) toward this system when from the 30s to the 80s they only payed 2% to 8%? That's the reason the system is in danger, because workers from the earlier era did not pay their fair share into it. It's only fair to bring it back to the average rate since the system began or cut benefits for those that are retired/retiring now.
Doesn't the cost of living have something to do with it? Did the wages go up since the 60's thru 2003?

Unfair maybe, who's going to help you? We already have lost $1000 today.

Oh and the boomers payed plenty

Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We arent discussing state and local taxes, the discussion is FEDERAL.. but your "probably higher" isnt really a fact is it?
I'm sure it is a fact. If you look at the 24% of the precious income taxes that the top 1% pay, it only equals out to 11% (.24 * 45%) of total revenues the US gov't takes in. Where do you think the other 89% of US Govt revenue comes from?? Have you seen all the excise taxes that exist? There's easily over 150 of them as a whole...the biggest being the gasoline tax., The working class / middle class supports local municipalities and states --- which reduces the burden on the US Gov't having to issue aid to these states. Don't pretend that the Federal gov't and the thousands of local municipalities operate in separate bubbles. The middle & working class pays the majority of the costs to run this country - from local municipalities, to the state level, to the federal level. Period.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Why are you liberals so focused on the income tax brackets? What about the fact that social security taxes only apply on income up to $106,800?

That's something I, as a conservative, have quite a problem with.
The stop taxing over $106,800 because benefits are capped. If they charged social security till someones earnings of $1M, their social security check would be $25,000 a month..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies