Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
its not a fact, but your "assurance" makes me feel better.. actually it doesnt, it saddens me that so many base their arguments on what you THINK is a fact. The only way thats a fact is if the rich was exempt from state taxes, sales taxes etc

Other than the fact that you are wrong again, which I'll happily embarass you again in a second, lets get this straight, a few thousand ameicans pay 11% of ALL of the expenses to operate the federal government, including welfare, the military, and all federal spending, and thats not enough for you? Tell me how much a few thousand people should be paying?

The top 1% pay these IN ADDITION to their income tax

The top 1% pay about 44% of ALL NYC expenses. You seem to believe the top 1% is exempt from paying these fees as well

You are lying.
As a PERCENTAGE of INCOME, the middle class pays more in TOTAL taxes, yes. Absolute FACT. You were the one claiming that the bottom 50% only pay 1% of the taxes that run this country.. You're wrong and youre off by multitudes. And you know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
That's why the Republicans are going to successfully steal them from you. I wish more people your age knew more about them. I need allies to protect the money I have paid into SS.
I don't know how old you are (and you don't know how old I am) but, assuming you're older than say 55-ish now, I will absolutely defend your right to SS benefits.

For the rest of us, we need to be able to take our money out and do something different. Because the current system isn't going to work for much longer.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,830 times
Quote:
That's why the Republicans are going to successfully steal them from you. I wish more people your age knew more about them. I need allies to protect the money I have paid into SS.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
This will take $1000 out of the pockets of working men and women in this country.

1 republican voted for extending the tax reduction and three democrats voted against it. All but one Republican voted against giving on average $1000 for working men and women in this country.

Payroll Tax Cut Extension Rejected In Senate Vote
This is only stealing from Social Security. If they want to reduce taxes, do it from some other source!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The Cato Institute basically made crap up and fudged the data from Piketty and Saez. The incomes SOARED for those in the top 1%, absolutely through the roof.
I didnt link to the Cato Institute, I linked to the Wall Street Journal
Quote:
On top of that you said 2004 earlier, the income tax rates for the top bracket is the same now as it was in 2004.
I said the top 1% is paying a higher percentage now than they were in 2004 despite the Bush tax cuts lowering their rate..
Quote:
Not to mention the fact still remains because of the large boost in income for the top the portion of income tax at the highest bracket increased therefore the taxes are higher. At $400,000 only a small portion of the income is taxed at the highest rate, however at $500,000 in income the amount taxed at the highest rate is larger therefore you pay a higher % of your income in taxes at $500,000 than you do at $400,000 even though the brackets for both income levels are the same.

Top 1 Percent of Americans Reaped Two-Thirds of Income Gains in Last Economic Expansion — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Your link doesnt support that. What it suppots is that they made higher gains on a PERCENTAGE basis and only during the "economic expansion" years. Why would they exclude year 2008 from their report which they created in 2009? I know, I know.. its because 2008 directly disputes their figures.

Even the tax foundation confirms I'm correct, http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html see table 7

Last edited by pghquest; 12-01-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
What I wish is people of your age knew that you actually paid into NOTHING and there is NO MONEY TO PROTECT.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
Their more concerned with getting the president out of office than caring about the people of this country, this will go on till the election, it's not right
Maybe because they think that getting Obama out of office will be best for the people of this country?

Just a thought...

For the record, I'm not pleased with the Republican Party, but they sure as hell beat the Democrats.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't know how old you are (and you don't know how old I am) but, assuming you're older than say 55-ish now, I will absolutely defend your right to SS benefits.

For the rest of us, we need to be able to take our money out and do something different. Because the current system isn't going to work for much longer.
I'm mid 30s. I have paid into the system for 20 years. If the government cuts me a check for every dime I have paid in plus interest in infaltion adjusted dollars .. fine... but they're not going to do that. They're softening us up for the kill. (They = Republicans.) If more people your age understood the system and cared about it, it would be there for us when we're old.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
As a PERCENTAGE of INCOME, the middle class pays more in TOTAL taxes, yes. Absolute FACT.
Lets do elementary math together now pequaman shall we?
the top 1% consists of how many ameicans? Here, I'll do it for you.. its 1% of americans.
The middle class consists of how many americans? here, let me do that for you as well, its about 50%.

So you think 1% of americans should pay more TOTAL than 50% of americans?

The facts remain Pequaman
1) You cant do math
2) The rich pay a MUCH HIGHER PERCENTAGE of their income
3) The rich pay a MUCH HIGHER DOLLAR in taxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You were the one claiming that the bottom 50% only pay 1% of the taxes that run this country.. You're wrong and youre off by multitudes. And you know it.
Actually I said their tax rate is 1%, not that they only pay 1%
The Tax Foundation - Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data

Scroll down to the bottom chart and you will see I'm correct and you are WRONG!!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:14 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I didnt link to the Cato Institute, I linked to the Wall Street Journal

I said the top 1% is paying a higher percentage now than they were in 2004 despite the Bush tax cuts lowering their rate..

Your link doesnt support that. What it suppots is that they made higher gains on a PERCENTAGE basis and only during the "economic expansion" years. Why would they exclude year 2008 from their report which they created in 2009? I know, I know.. its because 2008 directly disputes their figures.
1. I know you linked the WSJ, however the article and chart was based off Alan Reynolds from the Cato institute

2. The tax rates are the same as 2004, the reason they are paying more now is becomes as the incomes for the top 1% went through the roof the portions of their income tax at the highest bracket increased.

3. The link does support that. The reason it goes up to 2007 is because at the point in 2009 when the article was written the 2008 data was not complete yet because the data that is shown in the report is actually coming from IRS data. It shows the gain in % and $$$ form
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies