Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 03:55 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carop235 View Post
Black people commit all sorts of disproportionally violent crime, should we ban them too? How is it any different?
White people commit all sorts of disproportionately violent crime, like the Holocaust which wiped out 6 millions jews, should we ban them too? How is that any different?

Your attempt at backdoor racism to get your point across reflects your immaturity and lack of debate skills more than anything else.

Pit Bulls should be banned period. Having a Pit Bull as a pet is like having a lion as a pet. It is very irresponsible and dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 03:57 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Owning a pit bull is socially irresponsible for the same reason that owning a pet tiger would be. Sure, you may be able to train and handle the iger so that it doesn't attack very frequently...but the thing is a freaking tiger, not a lamb. And it's always at an innately higher risk of exercising its nature and causing harm to someone one day than say a golden retriever or a poodle.

Comparing a pit bull to a tiger proves that you don't know enough about either animal to make an informed decision.

One is a domesticated animal, the other is not. Its the difference between a cow and a bison.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Dogs aren't about the breed. Rottweilers were breed by the Romans to herd cattle and guard them. Germans used them to carry milk to market by latching carts onto them.

You breed size, and shape, but personality is very much how the dog is trained.

Actually the most aggressive breeds are generally hunting dogs, because they are trained to track, hunt, and kill. Herding dogs aren't naturally vicious dogs, because farmers didn't want them to kill. It doesn't take much to intimidate a cow.

A beagle is much more likely to bite you and attack, over a pit bull. Pit bulls do more damage with their attack, and idiots train them.
You know absolutely nothing of genetics and breeding when it comes to dogs. Personality is VERY much bred into dogs. How the hell do you think a hunting dog is a hunting dog. They use labs for seeing eye dogs for a reason. It's completely ignorant to state otherwise. Collectively many breeds are known for certain personality traits. That's what makes them important. A beagle is much more likely to attack you and bite you but a Pitbull is much more likely to rip your face off. Pitbulls were very much bred to fight! It is inherent in their DNA. If you don't believe DNA, hormones, and basic physiology has a big influence on "personality" I suggest you pick up a biology book. Is it the ONLY thing that matters? Of course not. It's the whole nature vs. nurture argument. Breeds are not perfect and like people neither are dogs. There will alwasy be outliers and exceptions. But overall Pitbulls were bred to fight not only bait bulls but eventually to fight each other and other dogs. And they were VERY good at fighting. Comparing a Beagle to a Pit shows a true lack of understanding about dogs, genetics, breeding, etc.

Yes the MOST important thing when it comes to a dog is the owner and the training the dog receives. Pitbulls require a VERY astute and dedicated trainer. Like I said 99% of the population can probably pick up a hunting rifle and fire it. It takes a lot more skill to handle a fully automatic AK-47. Both can kill you in the hands of a stupid irresponsible owner.

And if you want to get technical some of the most vicious dogs in the world are Chihuahauhs. Pitbulls are a wonderful breed just like all the bully breeds. They are just a terribly misunderstood dog unfortunately.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,560,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i see this thread going downhill, fast.

the hysterical "dog people" will show up, and it is all over.
What else could possible be the point of this thread. I own pitbulls, love the breed, know the dogs well, keep stupid people away from them. Simple.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
First off Pitbulls were originally bred for one reason and one reason only. They are a WORKING DOG and were bred for Bull Baiting and eventually fighting!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes dog fighting has been around for centuries!!!! They are good at it too! IT is in their DNA to be vicious and aggressive. Are all of them that way? Of course not. But Pitbulls are not meant to be lounging around the house eating doggie treats all day playing with the family. That is NOT what they were bred for. They first off are one of the most loyal, hardest working dogs around. Very physical and athletic breed. They need exercise and they need an owner that will stimulate their mind and make them work. Most pitbulls nowadays need to be in the hands of responsible dedicated owners who use the breed for what they were bred for i.e. doing work/working on farms, protection, etc. ANYONE that ever wants to own a pitbull should be required to be fully screened in their ability to train the dog, use the dog for it's purpose and otherwise own the thing. It's like the difference between owning a hunting rifle and a fully auto submachine gun. Both can kill people but it's much easier with the latter. Pitbulls are an amazing breed and deserve their part in American history. They are an amazing animal but anyone that thinks your average Pitbull is a well socialized family pet collectively is an idiot and knows nothing of the breed. The most striking characteristic of a Pitbull is it's aggression towards other animals again this was bred into for a purpose. Again are all like that? No and that's not necessarily a bad quality just one that needs to be under the control of a very astute owner. It's not the dog's fault and it's sad what has happened to the breed.. It's been thuggerized and manipulated into a bad reputation that will forever haunt these magnificient creatures. Pitbulls are amazing work dogs and loyal to their owners and the family around them. But again they must require a very astute, dedicated and responsible owner.

Look at all the bad parents out there. Same thing with Pitbull owners. Pitbulls are NOT a breed that you buy to sleep on the couch all day.
Quote:
History of the Breed

Pit Bulls are descendants of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. "Bulldogs" were bred to hang on without releasing their grip, until the animal was exhausted from fighting and from loss of blood. When baiting large animals was banned in the 1800s, people then started to fight their dogs against each other instead.
As the "sport" of dog fighting developed, enthusiasts bred a lighter, more athletic canine. These dogs made their way to North America, the ancestors of today's Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls that were not used for fighting were considered ideal family pets—affectionate, loyal and gentle with children. Serious problems started when these dogs gained the attention of people looking for a macho dog—and to meet their demands, unscrupulous and uncaring breeders are producing puppies that were not only aggressive to other dogs, but also to people.
ASPCA | Pit Bull Cruelty

Old 12-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
You know absolutely nothing of genetics and breeding when it comes to dogs. Personality is VERY much bred into dogs. How the hell do you think a hunting dog is a hunting dog. They use labs for seeing eye dogs for a reason. It's completely ignorant to state otherwise. Collectively many breeds are known for certain personality traits. That's what makes them important. A beagle is much more likely to attack you and bite you but a Pitbull is much more likely to rip your face off. Pitbulls were very much bred to fight! It is inherent in their DNA. If you don't believe DNA, hormones, and basic physiology has a big influence on "personality" I suggest you pick up a biology book. Is it the ONLY thing that matters? Of course not. It's the whole nature vs. nurture argument. Breeds are not perfect and like people neither are dogs. There will alwasy be outliers and exceptions. But overall Pitbulls were bred to fight not only bait bulls but eventually to fight each other and other dogs. And they were VERY good at fighting. Comparing a Beagle to a Pit shows a true lack of understanding about dogs, genetics, breeding, etc.

Yes the MOST important thing when it comes to a dog is the owner and the training the dog receives. Pitbulls require a VERY astute and dedicated trainer. Like I said 99% of the population can probably pick up a hunting rifle and fire it. It takes a lot more skill to handle a fully automatic AK-47. Both can kill you in the hands of a stupid irresponsible owner.

And if you want to get technical some of the most vicious dogs in the world are Chihuahauhs. Pitbulls are a wonderful breed just like all the bully breeds. They are just a terribly misunderstood dog unfortunately.

Nope, the genetics of dogs is very similar, personality, all of it. The reason small dogs get away with murder is because they are small, and people project human traits onto them.

A Pomeranian and a pitbull are essentially the same animal, and can be trained to have the same personality or very different.

I treat every dog I own like its a gun, because they aren't that far removed from wolves.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
True. And unfortunately, those risks are borne almost exclusively by innocent people -- including human children.

Ban the brutes and prosecute their owners, who are either maladjusted sociopaths or irresponsible fools.
Why not just prosecute the owners and make it harder for unqualified people to own them? See your knee jerk emotional reactions are what's killing American liberty. Do you feel the same way about guns? More kids are killed every year by handguns than by dogs. Should we ban them too? How about bouncy balls. Those kill more kids every year as well. Maybe corn sugar? Let's ban all soda too while we are at it!!!

There is a sense of responsibility that comes with freedom and living free. Some human beings aren't capable of it........doesn't mean we should punish everyone else.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:06 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

I'm well aware of these studies and while I don't dispute the fact that Pit Bulls do have some genetic predispositions to aggressive behavior, it does not make the dog inherently dangerous.

As an example:

There are certain traits in human beings which are responsible for thrill-seeking behavior. Often enough, these same people can find outlets for that behavior in the form of activities such as skydiving, bungee jumping, or even car racing. While the activities themselves may be dangerous, the person performing those activities may not necessarily be a dangerous person.

Yet, put in the wrong hands at an early age, those people can often develop very aggressive tendencies to the point of violence. I'm reminded of the serial murderer/contract killer, Richard Kuklinski, who was analyzed by Park Deitz, the same psychologist who analyzed Jeffrey Dahmer. The conclusion, though a little fuzzy in my memory, was that Kuklinski held many of the same traits as thrill-seekers who go about participating in things like skydiving. Unfortunately, due to the extreme abuse he suffered at the hands of his mother and father (he spent nearly his whole life fantasizing about murdering his father) these thrill-seeking activities were coalesced into violent thrill-seeking activities.

I see a lot of parallels in these two as we are comparing a certain genetic disposition to "adventurous" behavior while also examining the marked role that upbringing and human interaction have to result in a final product of aggressive behavior.

The genetic predispositions we share, and that some dog breeds share, are merely a canvas for epigenetic changes to occur after birth years. As an analogous example using the canvas, most people would think of a blank canvas as something square or rectangular in shape. It is a common perception of a canvas and we could paint a picture of any scenery on it. If we were to take the thrill-seekers' canvas, maybe it would be ovoid, star shaped, or look like an amoeba. From the get-go, the canvas would be a little different than the ordinary canvas but it's the finesse and touch an artist might decide to put on the final product that would dictate the overall outcome of the painting. The right artist could take that strange looking canvas, work with it, and still come up with a beautiful product.

It is when the wrong artist meets with the wrong canvas that problems begin to arise. At that point, we must ask ourselves who is most to blame for the horrible artwork that comes about? Is it the canvases' fault or the artists' fault? I tend to side with the fact that we cannot blame the canvas for its startling original features. It had little say in the matter. Yet, if we look at the artist who painted on it, we can get a very good idea of the type of artist we are dealing with and the overall quality of his artisanship. I still see no fault in the canvas as it was the artist who took it upon himself to proceed with the work. Besides, a bad enough artist could screw up a "regular" canvas just as badly too.

Even so, I am of the opinion that most dog owners should not be dog owners. They tend to screw up a perfectly good canvas. Rather than painting with oils and water based colors, it would seem they're often painting with blindfolds and fecal matter. That goes for Pit Bulls as much as it does a Teacup Poodle. So, I disagree that we should single out Pit Bulls as a breed meriting restriction but I do agree that perhaps we should be a little more discerning in regards to who we allow to own dogs at all. On the other hand, working with dogs takes a lot of practice. It is not something you just pick up overnight and there has to be a way for the novice to learn.

Maybe only allowing people who have proven themselves to be worthy dog owners should be allowed to have Pit Bulls. It would seem like a valid point except the same neglect and abuse will lead any dog to the same behavior and aggressive tendencies.

One final note... The wonderful thing about dogs is that they have short memories and their behavior is almost always malleable given the right opportunities. I have seen the most violent and aggressive dogs transformed into the most slobbery, lick-your-face, take your spot in bed dogs when paired with the right individual. Most humans do not have that capability and once their canvas is drawn on, it's pretty permanent.

Last edited by GCSTroop; 12-03-2011 at 04:21 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Nope, the genetics of dogs is very similar, personality, all of it. The reason small dogs get away with murder is because they are small, and people project human traits onto them.

A Pomeranian and a pitbull are essentially the same animal, and can be trained to have the same personality or very different.

I treat every dog I own like its a gun, because they aren't that far removed from wolves.

Haha while I agree with your points if you think after training an Aussie and a Chihuahuah you will have similar outcomes because they both hail from "wolves"...........I don't know what to say. Dogs are like people........hundreds of different "personalities". Is that to say 99.9% of dogs don't relate to the whole dog whisperer be the pack leader mentality? of course they do. The basic tenets of dog training work across breeds. But a Pitbull requires much more intense training and a much different approach than say a Lab or a Shi Tzu.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Haha while I agree with your points if you think after training an Aussie and a Chihuahuah you will have similar outcomes because they both hail from "wolves"...........I don't know what to say. Dogs are like people........hundreds of different "personalities". Is that to say 99.9% of dogs don't relate to the whole dog whisperer be the pack leader mentality? of course they do. The basic tenets of dog training work across breeds. But a Pitbull requires much more intense training and a much different approach than say a Lab or a Shi Tzu.

The Aussie (I'm guessing australian shepered?) would have a different outcome because the Chihuahuah would roll over and play submissive, or die.

But that doesn't mean you can't train them to have the exact same personality.

The physical size and structure of the pit bull was bred for herding. But the agressive tendencies is due to training, not breeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies