Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 10:56 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Ok, so you're saying that unemployment is ONLY fudged under a Republican president??
But the premise of this thread is that it is being fudged by Obama administration, something new.

Quote:
Even considering that much of Bush's fiscal moves were passed with a Democratic house?
He got 2001 and 2003 tax cuts passed. He got the unpaid $800B "reform" to Medicare passed. He got the military industrial complex reap the profits with two major wars. What more was he wanting that he didn't get?

Quote:
The current admin doesn't fudge the UE calculations?
Ok, so you're saying that unemployment is ONLY fudged under a Democratic president??

Quote:
Even if I cede to this partisan drivel... Does this change the fact that they are hiding the #'s??
Even if?

Quote:
Please if you are going to address me, don't do it selectively. I noticed you failed to address this issue in another thread. At least you did now.. Ineffectively I might add.
Remind me, if I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
How to get the UE from 9.0% to 8.6% Easy- drop 315,000 people from the total and no longer include them as 'looking for work'. 1.6 million filed for benefits in November. The true UE is in the UE 6 figure and it's 17% which includes unemployed, not getting benefits and no longer looking for work.
Next month they will drop another 315,000 and you will magically see the UE % at 7.9%
That isn't a new practice. It is how we had 5% unemployment rate with Bush in office, when only 3.9 million jobs were added against 10.3 million in growth on civilian labor force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
But the premise of this thread is that it is being fudged by Obama administration, something new.
They are... under severely different circumstances.

Quote:
He got 2001 and 2003 tax cuts passed. He got the unpaid $800B "reform" to Medicare passed. He got the military industrial complex reap the profits with two major wars. What more was he wanting that he didn't get?
I don't know?? You won't find a Bush apologist here.

Quote:
Ok, so you're saying that unemployment is ONLY fudged under a Democratic president??
No, I didn't say that. But I don't care what Bush did. I did at the time but Obama is running the show now.

Quote:
Even if?
Touche' .. I actually agree with you. I don't know why I typed that, however, this in no way absolves Obama.

Quote:
Remind me, if I do.
Surely

Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
They are... under severely different circumstances.
Fudging is not fudging, if conditions dictate or inconvenience prevails. Nice.

Quote:
I don't know?? You won't find a Bush apologist here.
I did. You. According to you, Bush couldn't get what he wanted. But then, you may be right. It was Cheney who got what he wanted, may not.

[qupte]No, I didn't say that. But I don't care what Bush did. I did at the time but Obama is running the show now. [/quote]
Well, if tunnel vision is your style, you go for it. People like me will try to provide you with a greater perspective.

Quote:
Touche' .. I actually agree with you. I don't know why I typed that.
Why do you think I've brought up incoherence in your arguments in that thread? Let us leave it there.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Bush DID get what he wanted under a Democratic house... Where did I mention that he didn't??

Again... if you are going to blame the past admin.. How about looking at the first couple of years that kicked off the fiscal responsibility??

Fair, no?

It's about Congress isn't it? Or is it all on the Prez?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
How to get the UE from 9.0% to 8.6% Easy- drop 315,000 people from the total and no longer include them as 'looking for work'. 1.6 million filed for benefits in November. The true UE is in the UE 6 figure and it's 17% which includes unemployed, not getting benefits and no longer looking for work.
Next month they will drop another 315,000 and you will magically see the UE % at 7.9%
The ironic point about this is that when people were returning to the "looking for status" which raised UE, nobody said anything except that the UE rate went up. If we're being consistent, the UE rate is the UE rate as the number of those "looking for or not looking for work" fluctuates. The number today is 8.6% and if the number next month is 7.9% then that's the number. I know it sucks for those that hate the president as much as the OP does to see the only glimmer of hope Willard might have in the general go up in smoke. Put partisan foolishness aside for a moment and be encouraged that the number is headed down.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:38 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually they expected 110K.

I am sorry the good news disappoints you.
I see. Set your sights really low, and you'll never be disappointed.

I'll wait to celebrate the good news until after the numbers adjusted. Which they will be. To worse news. Which will be ignored. As usual.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't know what 'experts' you were reading but ADP was predicting +120K a few days ago.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn't fudge employment numbers at the request of the White House.

What this shows is that the economy is slowly improving. It still isn't anything near the Clinton employment numbers of an average gain of 250,000 per month but it's sure better than the last year of the Bush years.
Don't confuse haters with facts, bro. Haters gonna hate. Nice chart, BTW.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I've got news for ya...it was already improving even before the GOP took over.
Really?

June 2010 - 9.5%
November 2010 - 9.8% (historic elections)
November 2011 - 8.6%

I'm seeing an increase prior to the elections. Then a drop. Am I missing something?

Doesn't matter, really. Inflation is already happening. The unemployment numbers reflect people leaving the job force and stopping looking for work.

Not sure we'll last until Obama gets whooped in 2012.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:52 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Sanrene, I got to give it to you. Nice try at preemptively trying to spin bad news out of good.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:37 PM

128 posts, read 251,388 times
Cool Unemployment down, Obama policies working...Repugs trying to derail economy

Unemployment dropped to 8.6%: it seems Obama's economic policies are working.....and now repugnant republicans blocked the extension of middle class social security tax cuts.... Showing the country yet again that they work for the rich, and the rich ONLY! Their 1% elite masters control them. Wake up people, dems are the only ones on working for the middle class.

Unemployment Slips to 8.6% as Private Sector Adds Jobs - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies