Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:11 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times

Advertisements

This is bs. Schools have said forever that passing out gifts and invitations are not permitted. The ones I

am familiar with are very picky about Valentines. You have to give one to everybody in the class.

I grew up dirt poor. Sixty years ago they passed out invitations to birthday parties in the classroom. I never got any.

Talk about feeling like a bast--d at the family reunion.

Why go out of your way to disenfranchise kids? Has nothing to do with Christmas. Exchange gifts at home or in Church. Do whatever you want to celebrate Christmas, just keep gift giving out of the classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 01:11 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
What about the anti-education people. Shouldn't class time be spent on teaching and learning, and not on celebrating holidays.
Yup, Repugs hate teachers and want them to work for minimum wage....and then want them to "educate" their brats with parties!!!!!?????

Why? Because THEY are too lazy to do it......along with a lot of other things teachers do that parents won't do.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:14 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times
The War on Christmas has begun!!!!! How about them Black Friday deals??

Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 PM

306 posts, read 218,730 times
Students & parents must react with activism & bust the ban...

What are they gonna do..?

Charge activists for...impersonating Santa Claus ..?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:18 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,794 times
Quote:
What about the anti-education people. Shouldn't class time be spent on teaching and learning, and not on celebrating holidays.
I thought school was meant for prayer and parties not study.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:30 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I thought school was meant for prayer and parties not study.
Please. I'm not Christian, as I said earlier.

I just don't think that the kids should be forced to leave their religious beliefs or general holiday "spirit" behind when they come into school.

And would an hour-long holiday party ONE day of the school year really that big of a deal, even if it was just for fun? We had parties like this when I was in school. I don't think making school such an overly rigid and serious environment does anything to help education.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't think making school such an overly rigid and serious environment does anything to help education.
Is that how you would describe the educational system in the USA?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Is that how you would describe the educational system in the USA?
No, but I think that's what some people seem to want.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Please. I'm not Christian, as I said earlier.

I just don't think that the kids should be forced to leave their religious beliefs or general holiday "spirit" behind when they come into school.

And would an hour-long holiday party ONE day of the school year really that big of a deal, even if it was just for fun? We had parties like this when I was in school. I don't think making school such an overly rigid and serious environment does anything to help education.
Would you feel the same way if this were a ramadan celebration? Religous ceremonies should be held in private places.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Would you feel the same way if this were a ramadan celebration? Religous ceremonies should be held in private places.
It would be fine by me and, actually, that could serve an educational purpose (to educate kids about different religions).

But that's moot because I wasn't even talking about Christmas parties in a religious sense - just a holiday, "Christmas season," non-religious celebration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies