Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Really? Of all the things one could complain about IRT schools in America, you are putting your dog in the "party fight"? Why?

It seems a petty stance to take.
It is.

But if people expect government expects it to operate efficiently and cost effectively, what do you think that looks like? Example, if a teacher, with a salary of, for example, $30/hr, were to party with his/her class for about 4 hours, you just paid him/her $120 to party. Multiply that by the entire school's teaching staff, then multiply that by the entire school district, and then tell me if that's okay.

Like I stated previously, unless we're suddenly not in favor of a leaner, more efficient government. I'm interested in what those who want government to operate in this fashion think about it.

[personally, I'm not substantially concerned about it one way or the other; it probably would only cost me a few cents, if that]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
It is.

But if people expect government expects it to operate efficiently and cost effectively, what do you think that looks like? Example, if a teacher, with a salary of, for example, $30/hr, were to party with his/her class for about 4 hours, you just paid him/her $120 to party. Multiply that by the entire school's teaching staff, then multiply that by the entire school district, and then tell me if that's okay.

Like I stated previously, unless we're suddenly not in favor of a leaner, more efficient government. I'm interested in what those who want government to operate in this fashion think about it.

[personally, I'm not substantially concerned about it one way or the other; it probably would only cost me a few cents, if that]
I am not in favor of cancelling and/or banning anything & everything in school that is not directly related to education. I think the idea is overkill and completely unable to be implemented.

I do think it's ok for teachers & students to have fun days here and there at school.

I have no issue paying for that.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:23 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I don't care about parties in classrooms or about not having parties in classrooms. I lean towards not having parties since that isn't the purpose of school and kids can have parties at home. Decorating the class should be minimal anyway, it's not like there is tons of money to pay for that stuff.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carop235 View Post
The difference is this country has always celebrated Christmas. Always have and always will. I'm sick of our lives being dictated by whatever third world immigrant group we import.
Get real, I attended catholic school and they never had parties.
No one said that they could not exchange gifts before or after school or during lunches.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:30 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,349,728 times
I work for a school district as an assistant cook, and we (the cafeteria staff) are having a CHRISTMAS Party. Yes, that's what it's called - none of this PC stuff for us. We're having it in the cafeteria after lunch is finished being served. Then we are all off for CHRISTMAS Vacation when school is closed for over a week. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I work for a school district as an assistant cook, and we (the cafeteria staff) are having a CHRISTMAS Party. Yes, that's what it's called - none of this PC stuff for us. We're having it in the cafeteria after lunch is finished being served. Then we are all off for CHRISTMAS Vacation when school is closed for over a week. Merry Christmas!
And your party is after work, right?
Hmmmm.
I guess you only invite c's because of your exclusivity.
Good on ya, I'm sure your god thing would be proud.
Isn't arrogance one of the deadly sins?

Old 12-03-2011, 06:18 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And your party is after work, right?
Hmmmm.
I guess you only invite c's because of your exclusivity.
Good on ya, I'm sure your god thing would be proud.
Isn't arrogance one of the deadly sins?
I believe her point was made without arrogance, in my opinion.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
LOL Well I hardly think the failings of American schools is because of a one hour party here and there.

Totally misplaced blame, right there.
I couldn't agree more. Positive environments are created by multiple experiences. What the heck are we coming to in America, blasting others, teachers, school systems for the occasional school activity that doesn't involve sports!. It is amazing to me. I went to a school where you had the holiday parties, christmas, thanksgiving, valentines day. I grew up fine, w/ some nice school memories. There are so many more important issues related to schools, priorities are so skewed these days, in my opinion.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carop235 View Post
The difference is this country has always celebrated Christmas. Always have and always will. I'm sick of our lives being dictated by whatever third world immigrant group we import.
I actually think it would be a benefit to children to see the way other cultures celebrate events. But, I do not have the same attitude re; immigration. I remember correct me if I am wrong..........This whole country is founded on the premise of immigration. The only folks already here were native americans, and some ppls of mexican decent. Sure, there are problems w/ immigration, they will eventually get resolved, or not.... but thankfully they hadn't closed the borders yet when my Ulster Scotts ancestors came over from Scottland, by way of Ireland. Apologize for going off topic

Old 12-03-2011, 06:37 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And then there's all those Jewish holidays, secular holidays, Wiccan holidays , Muslim holidays...yep , teacher's shouldn't teach, they should be social directors for kids whose parents are too lazy to give parties....
Quote:
Hyperbole cleanup on Aisle 3! We need all available to assist in this massive cleanup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You think any holiday but a christian one should be "cleaned up", swept away....???

Now, try to stay on topic and I'm not it.
Quote:
I'm completely on topic. Your post was drenching wet with hyperbole. This one? This one is soaked with made up BS that you are attributing to me which I never said.
No, you didn't say that exactly but if you follow along the posts above it sure looks like you're in favor of ONLY ONE religion celebrating it's holiday...the thought of other religions having equal consideration is "hyperbole"..??..

And again, if parents are so desperate for their kids to have a party WHY DON'T THEY give the party....why do they shove it off on teacher's.....and why can't anyone , especially Repugs, answer that????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies