Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So you'd be OK with educational time for many, many parties a year celebrating all religious holidays (Jewish holidays, secular holidays, Wiccan holidays , Muslim holidays). ??

you called it hyperbole before.....(???)
No. I'm positive that I've said, numerous times, that I am ok with a party or two here and there.

Let me repeat:

I am ok with a party or two here and there.

Got it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:16 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Smile Fort Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Bah, humbug! Fort Worth schools ban Santa, gifts in classroom | Schools | News from Fort... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/12/01/3565292/fort-worth-school-district-bans.html#my-headlines-default - broken link)

So, by extension, this makes Rick Perry the Grinch.

Why is the GOP waging a War On X-mas?

GOP congress vs xmas

Old 12-03-2011, 02:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
It seems a few parents objected to Santa Claus and the school district went a little too far to accomodate PC. A larger number of parents objected and the school district relented.

Just more PC gone amuck. You really cannot make everyone happy.

Schools set rules on "December Dilemma" | KXAN.com
We have students and parents who do not see Santa Claus as the icon for this time of year, so we have to be concerned about what their feelings are as well,” said FWISD spokesman Clint Bond.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:00 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
It's interesting to note that most of these communities like Fort Worth that have these national media issues are overwhelmingly non diverse areas. This particular area appears to be very white and Protestant. So the theory that "third world immigrant groups" or religious minorities are eroding Christmas is entirely false. In most places with wars over Christmas vs. holiday parties terminology, it appears they are usually white and Protestant.

NYC has the biggest Christmas celebration and decoration in the US, yet is the most Jewish city and has a large Muslim and Hindu population as well. Not to mention it is filled with immigrants from all over.

So it looks like the rebellion against Christmas values is coming from within the white Christian community.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
It's interesting to note that most of these communities like Fort Worth that have these national media issues are overwhelmingly non diverse areas. This particular area appears to be very white and Protestant. So the theory that "third world immigrant groups" or religious minorities are eroding Christmas is entirely false. In most places with wars over Christmas vs. holiday parties terminology, it appears they are usually white and Protestant.

NYC has the biggest Christmas celebration and decoration in the US, yet is the most Jewish city and has a large Muslim and Hindu population as well. Not to mention it is filled with immigrants from all over.

So it looks like the rebellion against Christmas values is coming from within the white Christian community.
Total strawman. All it takes nowdays is one loud parent to make changes.
You have no clue who complained or why.

ASSumption.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:07 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
It's interesting to note that most of these communities like Fort Worth that have these national media issues are overwhelmingly non diverse areas. This particular area appears to be very white and Protestant.

So it looks like the rebellion against Christmas values is coming from within the white Christian community
Uh, no, Fort Worth is actually a pretty diverse (majority-minority) city...

Fort Worth, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me make clear that I present this information only to make clear that your take on the demographics of this area is not correct. As the OP of this thread, I should make clear I am certainly not racist or anti-non-Protestant (and I'm not even Protestant myself). I'm definitely not trying to suggest that this is some big horrible problem created by non-whites or non-Protestants.

At the same time, the policy was determined to be necessary by an attorney for the school district. I doubt it was a fear of Christians filing lawsuits that led to this.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 12-03-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 06:32 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Uh, no, Fort Worth is actually a pretty diverse (majority-minority) city...

Fort Worth, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me make clear that I present this information only to make clear that your take on the demographics of this area is not correct. As the OP of this thread, I should make clear I am certainly not racist or anti-non-Protestant (and I'm not even Protestant myself). I'm definitely not trying to suggest that this is some big horrible problem created by non-whites or non-Protestants.

At the same time, the policy was determined to be necessary by an attorney for the school district. I doubt it was a fear of Christians filing lawsuits that led to this.
Usually it's a lapsed Christian turned atheist.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:55 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
The War on Christmas has begun!!!!! How about them Black Friday deals??
The right-wing christmas political correctness crying has started.

You want Christ in Christmas,
take Santa Claus out of Christmas, because in my house Baby Jesus brought us our Christmas presents.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 PM

Santa is non denominational, secular and global.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:51 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And your party is after work, right?
Hmmmm.
I guess you only invite c's because of your exclusivity.
Good on ya, I'm sure your god thing would be proud.
Isn't arrogance one of the deadly sins?
Yes, it is after work, but it is also while school is still in session and on school premises. Last year, the principal said we were laughing too loud and asked us to quiet down if we didn't want to stay for detention.

Who said anything about it being exclusive to just "c"s"? Everybody who works in the cafeteria is invited. No one complains about the invitations being printed "Christmas Party", and at least 90 percent of the employees come - even the night shift janitors who miss sleep for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies