Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:09 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times

Advertisements

Isn't Egypt like 98% Muslim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 09:12 AM

101 posts, read 86,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Hmmmmm thread is: Islamists likely to have large majority in Egypt

And you bring up immigration in Europe...

So you think Egypt is part of Europe?
I think he just clicked on the wrong thread. He edited his post. No big deal. An accident.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
so much for muslims not supporting fundamentalist or extremist muslims. When given a choice, around the world they're choosing terrorist supporting organizations.
Let's give them a chance.. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I doubt I will be wrong. If they become a menace to the world, then give them hell. But we should give them a chance to prove they aren't insane.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
I wonder how much it's going to cost the US if the Brotherhood does take control or if they will fund the Brotherhood? Presidential elections are in a few months, but more than likely you will get a "moderate" Muslim Brotherhood to take that.

Israel is watching this very closely. I started a thread (which has gone to the bottom - I think everyone was sleeping when I posted it) on a statement that Leon Penetta made on Israel needing to mend fences as it is alienating itself from other countries in the region, which included Egypt. Gave Israel the usual US support - but he mentioned only on Iran. If one were to read into it, he could be telling Israel that they are on their won other than Iran.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I wonder how much it's going to cost the US if the Brotherhood does take control or if they will fund the Brotherhood? Presidential elections are in a few months, but more than likely you will get a "moderate" Muslim Brotherhood to take that.

Israel is watching this very closely. I started a thread (which has gone to the bottom - I think everyone was sleeping when I posted it) on a statement that Leon Penetta made on Israel needing to mend fences as it is alienating itself from other countries in the region, which included Egypt. Gave Israel the usual US support - but he mentioned only on Iran. If one were to read into it, he could be telling Israel that they are on their won other than Iran.

Islamists getting along with Israel (and Islamist rule is the inevitable result in every arab muslim country that has free elections) is like saying Islamists will legalize Gay marriage.

They wouldn't be Islamists if they wanted peaceful relations with Israel. They would be something else.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 PM

20,335 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Better them than us. Especially if you're a woman.

They want it, they can live with it.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:28 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novasteve View Post
Islamists getting along with Israel (and Islamist rule is the inevitable result in every arab muslim country that has free elections) is like saying Islamists will legalize Gay marriage.

They wouldn't be Islamists if they wanted peaceful relations with Israel. They would be something else.
Same could be said for Israel legalizing gay marriage within Israel. Israel may be more accepting of same sex relationships, but: no marriage not sanctioned by religious authorities can take place within Israel. This restriction forces not only gay couples, but also all mixed-religion heterosexual couples and any person who wishes a non religious marriage, to marry outside the country.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:08 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
BBC News - Egypt Islamists widen poll lead

Like you didn't see this coming

In EVERY single arab country where they get a real vote, they will vote in Islamists. If the consequences were just limited to them, I would say more power to them, but the problem is is there will be externalities.
That's silly. There are always externalities no matter where the election occurs and who is elected.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:10 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:

However those expecting "democracy" meaning secular, with gay marriage, abortion, are going to be a little dissapointed? But if the people there don't want that..
Not my problem.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:24 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Maybe it's time Americans realize the rest of the world feels no obligation to shape it self in America's image and we should worry about our own country and let the rest of the world fend for itself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies