Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 01:24 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
The only here applies to the US being so backwards and keeping slavery around long after other first world nations gave it up.

Other than that, people can easily do this type of thing in ALL first world countries. In many of them, rising out of poverty is actually easier.

The thread should really be titled the power, beauty and redemption of most countries.

Based on what? Where else have you been? It will take generations to truly get rid of the latent racism in this country. It's also much harder for the poor (typically minorities) to get access to higher education in this country than in other first world countries.

Unless you've been to other places, and I mean a lot of them, I wouldn't be shouting about how America is great than other places. It's a rather uninformed and ignorant point of view.

If you don't like it here get the hell out. I happen to think that this is a great country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 01:25 PM

943 posts, read 781,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
America is a great country but I'm always bewildered when people say things like only in America about these types of issues. Other countries have had horrible legacies like slavery and descendants have risen to rule.

1. Liberia, for example, was colonized by black Americans and they enslaved the indigenous population. Descendants of Liberian slaves later rose to rule there.

2. Bolivian president Evo Morales is 100% indigenous from a country where the indigenous population was treated extremely poorly. Hugo Chavez' background is similar because he is both black and indigenous. Note these men are not the spouses of ruler but the rulers themselves.

I could name many more examples. This is not to lessen Michelle Obama as a person but someone already reminded us not it took a while for her to even be proud of the U.S.
I agree.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:32 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Unless you've been to other places, and I mean a lot of them, I wouldn't be shouting about how America is great than other places. It's a rather uninformed and ignorant point of view.

I have lived in every country in europe, and still think that the USA is alot better than anywhere else.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:57 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Yup, and lest we forget, Obama is half white, half black.

I truly believe America is the most advanced socially in terms of racial acceptance. What used to be a laughingstock in the 1960s has advanced very quickly into a role model for acceptance throughout the world.

We still have issues but we're working on it.
I agree, We can fix the issues with enough effort. I never had, Nor ever will give up on this land. As long as I breathe...

Old 12-03-2011, 02:56 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Quote:

Based on what? Where else have you been? It will take generations to truly get rid of the latent racism in this country. It's also much harder for the poor (typically minorities) to get access to higher education in this country than in other first world countries.

Oh I've been on every continent in the world.

In Japan, even though the Japanese will adore Western culture and swoon over people with yellow blonde hair or women with big boobs, they'll generally consider THEIR culture the world's best, THEIR food the best, THEIR way of doing things the best, and actively block "gaijin" ... OUTSIDERS ... from having equal rights. White men in the 90s and blacks today are nothing more than vanity pieces ... something for the trendy women to wear on their exterior. They aren't interested in the men at all other than for the fashionable thing to say "I have a foreign boyfriend" When it comes to marriage, they'll quickly ditch the foreign man and marry a Japanese one if they can find a nice one. Very slowly it is changing, and is nowhere near our level of acceptance of foreigners.

In China, generally people are friendly to tourists ... as tourists ... as pocketbooks. In terms of the culture and stuff, they'll accept some aspects (like soccer, basketball, etc) but largely consider blacks as monkeys and white people as "gwai lo" ... WHITE DEVIL.

Indians largely see foreigners as pocketbooks as well. They aren't racist (for the most part), but tolerance of outside perspectives is pretty rare.

Russians basically hate everyone who isn't white European or central Asian. Chinese friend I know who visited for a year said she was literally peed on in a party by a white russian who said that "HER DOG RACE SHOULD BE TREATED LIKE THE GARBAGE THEY ARE." She then learned later on that she was only admitted because she has large boobs, "for an asian woman."

Africans basically hate white people for the now dated excuse of colonialism and STILL to this day cry foul over their own failings by using that excuse.

A LOT of Europeans OUTSIDE THE COSMOPOLITAN CENTERS (like Paris, Munich, Rome, Milan, London, etc) consider non-Europeans as mostly scum of the earth and people from the USA to be nothing more than tourists and "those" cousins ... like from the wrong side of the family.

Canadians stick their noses up and proclaim their culture the most civilized and the best mix of European and other cultures with intelligence and restraint for the most part. Despite basically treating the natives just as bad as the US government has.

The only people who I've met that are truly as tolerant as people in the US are from Brazil. Talk about a melting pot, check out Brazil!

I find it hilarious when people try to argue my points and say I'm not traveled and yet haven't been anywhere themselves. Go ahead! I am laughing so hard I'm pissing my pants!

Now everything I said isn't always 100% true ... just like how there's racists everywhere in the world most people are generally cool. But there are general trends and I'm simply reporting what I saw.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:31 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Michelle Obama's great-great grandfather was born a slave in South Carolina. I bet it brings a smile to his face to see his great-great granddaughter now the First Lady of the land he was once a slave to. I love the USA.
Post of the day. Nicely said.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carop235 View Post
These 'minorities' can go home then.
So the minority American citizens can go home to the United States? You're not making sense. Put away your emotion, use your brain and think before you write.

Quote:
If you don't like it here get the hell out. I happen to think that this is a great country.
Same applies to you. Please put away the childish emotion and re-read what I said. Feel free to point out where I said I didn't like it here.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Michelle Obama's great-great grandfather was born a slave in South Carolina. I bet it brings a smile to his face to see his great-great granddaughter now the First Lady of the land he was once a slave to. I love the USA.
If only Michelle and her fellow slave descendants felt as you do.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Yup, and lest we forget, Obama is half white, half black.

I truly believe America is the most advanced socially in terms of racial acceptance. What used to be a laughingstock in the 1960s has advanced very quickly into a role model for acceptance throughout the world.

We still have issues but we're working on it.
I was better in the 1980's before the extremists of both parties tried to start a race war

Old 12-04-2011, 02:49 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Citizens have had to endure massive discrimination, great humility, and even death; clawing to get basic rights, not akin with terms like "land of the free" and "equality". So blind, time and again, was the USA.

For many, not just blacks, but women and other minorities, still today; to love the USA is bittersweet, in deed. Put the USA in perspective.

Pride can sometimes be confused with brieved tolerance.

Brieved: used satirically to imply clear disdain for the unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies