Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:49 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Some do, most certainly, but its hardly a significant percentage if even a whole number (less then one).

I don't think that a large percentage of white people think that a majority of African Americans want a hand out.
No, but the question is....How many?

What percentage?

So, am I supposed to think that most White Americans want to eradicate all non-Whites from the United States just because a random Neo-Nazi group shouts hatred loudly from a soapbox at the State Fair?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Outside of radicals (Jesse and Sharpton who folks love to reference when these guys aren't even on my radar), no one is calling for reparations. Been black all my life, and outside of these boards, don't ever recall hearing the subject being brought up.

What's funny is that the folks who think I'm after hand-outs are the ones least likely to even have any money to "give out". It's very possible that my HHI exceeds your own.....so maybe I should give you the hand-out, instead?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:07 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Outside of radicals (Jesse and Sharpton who folks love to reference when these guys aren't even on my radar), no one is calling for reparations. Been black all my life, and outside of these boards, don't ever recall hearing the subject being brought up.

What's funny is that the folks who think I'm after hand-outs are the ones least likely to even have any money to "give out". It's very possible that my HHI exceeds your own.....so maybe I should give you the hand-out, instead?
lol... look, the white people who think that black people are after hand-outs don't get out much. They are life's losers. They don't have much. Being "white" and looking down on "blacks" is about all they have going for them. I can see how insulting it is to have a white cracker thinking he is higher than you, but really.. who cares?

This is 2011, soon to be 2012. Who really has time for this? People are people.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
West of Encino, I honestly don't "get" why you don't get it, per your opening post.

Because of the horrible part of our nation's history per slavery of blacks, THAT is why whites and other races sometimes say that blacks think we owe them something.

Also, because some liberal nutjob occasionally suggests that reparations are something that should be seriously considered now, sometimes other races say that blacks think we owe them something. Apparently, some blacks DO think this, and yet not one of them was a slave nor were their parents.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
They do? Who are these people?
Whites

Old 12-05-2011, 12:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It's usually guilt dude. You've heard of white liberal guilt? Those who experience white conservative guilt say things like this and are resentful. They're mad because deeep down, *they* think they owe blacks.

For the record, I'm a white liberal. I don't feel any guilt or think I owe any black dude more than I owe any other dude ... basic respect is all I give and all I expect in return.
we dont always agree, but in this we do. nice post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes59 View Post
Why is there "white guilt" anyway? Please explain this phenomena to me. It makes absolutely no sense at all in this day and age. We have supposedly moved on. Haven't we?
white guilt is where a white person feels guilty, for what ever reason, that blacks were brought from africa to america to be sold into slavery. the people that are afflicted with white guilt are usually liberals who live in the past rather than the present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
How many is many?

What percentage?

How often does the average Black American even think of the idea of "reparations" (if at all)?

(waiting for an intelligent answer...)
jessie jackson and al sharpton are but two black civil rights leaders who have been calling for reparations for more than 40 years now. it used to be the big controversy of the 70s and early 80s as to whether the government should pay reparations to blacks for their ancestors being sold into slavery as much as 400 years ago. fortunately the calls for reparations have for the most part gone away since then.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
many in the black community have been calling for reparations for decades now to pay blacks back for 400 years of slavery. at least that is what they are claiming they want the reparations for.
Usually the people who call for such things are not people who have much credibility and are out of the mainstream. Can you name anyone with credibility who has advocated such a thing?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:43 PM

419 posts, read 365,300 times
Never met one black person that thinks that.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:49 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Usually the people who call for such things are not people who have much credibility and are out of the mainstream. Can you name anyone with credibility who has advocated such a thing?
What about US Congressman John Conyers? Is he enough in the mainstream? Is he credible enough for you?

U.S. Congressman John Conyers, Jr. : Issues

Quote:
In January of 1989, I first introduced the bill H.R. 40, Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act. I have re-introduced HR 40 every Congress since 1989, and will continue to do so until it's passed into law.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
What about US Congressman John Conyers? Is he enough in the mainstream? Is he credible enough for you?

U.S. Congressman John Conyers, Jr. : Issues
I never heard of the guy. I clicked on the link however, his district covers Detroit right? Elected officials from Detroit tend to have zero credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies