Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:25 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasteve View Post
Asians are self reliant, liberals have no use for them other than for them to pay taxes.

Exactly, totally self-reliant, self-sufficient... Truly understand multiculturalism and stick to their traditions. Respect other traditions.

No complaining in groups to feed the entitlement agenda...

I have complete and total respect for their culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:27 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Because they don't make waves and sit there like good little minorities.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:49 PM

943 posts, read 782,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Exactly, totally self-reliant, self-sufficient... Truly understand multiculturalism and stick to their traditions. Respect other traditions.

No complaining in groups to feed the entitlement agenda...

I have complete and total respect for their culture.

62% of Asian Americans voted for Obama. 56% voted for John Kerry in 2004. Asian americans are not conservatives or republicans. Granted there is variance between the voting patterns between Indians, Chinese, Koreans, and South East Asians.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:36 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
62% of Asian Americans voted for Obama. 56% voted for John Kerry in 2004. Asian americans are not conservatives or republicans. Granted there is variance between the voting patterns between Indians, Chinese, Koreans, and South East Asians.
This doesn't change the fact that they don't whine and complain and politicize stuff (like you just did)

You don't see rallies from them...

Old 12-08-2011, 04:25 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
They've always embraced a very studious and self-motivated culture as it relates to personal achievement without depending on government handouts.

One key reason why Democrats and lefties have no use for them is that they have had the lowest rejection rate for home mortgage applications of any ethnic group for decades, as Dr. Thomas Sowell has pointed out on numerous occassions, making Democratic party whining about discrimination even more preposterous than it already is.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:04 PM

674 posts, read 698,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I've also seen it translated as "talking dog"...............
I've never heard it used to mean that and that was not my intention. It is an Ewe word and as far as I know it means white person,mixed person, or black person with western culture.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:17 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
I've never heard it used to mean that and that was not my intention. It is an Ewe word and as far as I know it means white person,mixed person, or black person with western culture.
Yovo as a term of endearment? I think not.

Smart and Wise: Essay: Yovo (http://smartandwise.blogspot.com/2006/09/essay-yovo.html - broken link)

Ghanaian historian Charles M.K. Mamattah addressed the meaning of the word in the opening pages of his book, The Éwés of West Africa, Volume 1, The Anlo-Éwés and their Immediate Neighbors. The Anlo version of the Éwé language has served as the basis for the development of written Éwé that serves speakers of Éwé, Mina, Ouatchi, and many other tongues in this closely related cluster of languages in Ghana and Togo. He states: "In Anlo in particular, and Éwé generally, we refer to all our overseas friends as Ayevu or Yevu: modestly, they appear to us as tricksters and dangerously as venomous vampires, swindlers and divisionists. We suspect them of deliberately calculated, malicious, pernicious and persistent attempts to erase all traces of our glorious past or else of recording only those portions of our past which give them false credit. Ayevu or Yevu literally means cunning dog."

Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Funny, there are a LOT of asians, specifically Chinese, at my Ivy League University. The people who are really getting screwed over are non Japanese/Chinese/Korean Asian, imo. The rest of this thread is disgusting.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:49 PM

674 posts, read 698,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yovo as a term of endearment? I think not.

Smart and Wise: Essay: Yovo (http://smartandwise.blogspot.com/2006/09/essay-yovo.html - broken link)

Ghanaian historian Charles M.K. Mamattah addressed the meaning of the word in the opening pages of his book, The Éwés of West Africa, Volume 1, The Anlo-Éwés and their Immediate Neighbors. The Anlo version of the Éwé language has served as the basis for the development of written Éwé that serves speakers of Éwé, Mina, Ouatchi, and many other tongues in this closely related cluster of languages in Ghana and Togo. He states: "In Anlo in particular, and Éwé generally, we refer to all our overseas friends as Ayevu or Yevu: modestly, they appear to us as tricksters and dangerously as venomous vampires, swindlers and divisionists. We suspect them of deliberately calculated, malicious, pernicious and persistent attempts to erase all traces of our glorious past or else of recording only those portions of our past which give them false credit. Ayevu or Yevu literally means cunning dog."
In my language the direct translation of the word we use for white person is actually giant liar. Giant for powerful, liar self-explanatory. So yes that makes sense but as I stated before as far as I know yovo means white person/mixed person/black person with western culture. Ewe is not my first language so I'm not familiar with the etymology of the word and am not a linguist but I grew up in a predominantly Ewe part of Ghana and that was simply the term we use to name these people. Children yell it all the time when a foreigner is in sight and I sincerely doubt that they are referring to people as cunning dogs.

Last edited by DahomeyAhosi; 12-08-2011 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies