Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times

Advertisements

Right..... Service Academy grads all get desk jobs. None become Infantry officers, Marine Officers, SEAL Officers, or combat pilots.

Really what is your problem with Asians? This is getting silly. Are you a veteran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 09:09 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Some Asians' college strategy: Don't check 'Asian' - Yahoo! News

Why don't colleges base entrance on merit instead of skin color?
These are Ivy League schools we're talking about. They can refuse or select admission based on what ever they want. At some of these colleges 30% of all accepted students are "legacy students" meaning they had an edge because their parents attended that school(and maybe are among the top alumni donors today).

UC Berkeley, which doesn't consider race in admissions has a student body that's 40% Asian--and actually seems more Asian than that if you ever stroll around the Cal campus. Ha ha--score one for the liberal meritocracy of the University of California system!

Last edited by Deezus; 12-04-2011 at 09:37 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 PM

194 posts, read 524,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I sure would like to see some Asians (and Indians) enlist and fight in the military.
I had an Asian-American friend that served and was a casualty in Afghanistan. I take extreme offense to your statement.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:31 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
It makes sense that many people do not want to attend universities that are dominated by boring Asians. American kids study hard but they also party hard and they want to socialize, not spend all their time memorizing text books.

Fears over 'white flight' from selective schools

Is the University of Toronto "too Asian"?
Asians are American. I guess you are referring to the "white" American students?? Well, I guess those "white" American students will be crying discrimination when some "Asian" gets the job over them, or any other ethic person that applied themself to achieve high scores Maybe "white" Americans can justify it because they studied, partied and socialized so hard?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:41 PM

242 posts, read 235,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I agree that Asians are overrepresented in higher education and under represented in the military.

glad you agree with that.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:57 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
From what I have seen education is instilled in Asians from early on as being vital to success. Most of these students have grandparents or parents that were immigrants who started up small businesses and worked 18 hours a day. They saved for their childrens education. Yeah, work ethic is important to them. They didn't raise their children providing all the latest toys, they provided them with the tools that help one to achieve. Historically Jewish people have instilled the importance of an education very early on in their childrens lives.

It seems that people who are mediocre and can't achieve something, blame it on someone or something, but conveniently from a different ethnic background for their own failures, in addition to being threatened by those who aim higher and succeed.

I worked for a Chinese lawyer (who was on a green card) in a major NYC law firm for several years. It was one of the best times during my working period. When lawyers worked on a document revising that document was referred to as "turn around". While it took his colleagues anywhere from 10 to 15 attempts (depending on the size) he did it in a fraction of that time. He was thorough and a perfectionist with high work standards. We worked well together because we shared the same work ethics. He was also one of the nicest people I worked for with a great sense of humor. Working with him highlighted the difference between him and his "American" colleagues.

Maybe people shouldn't see other people of a different ethnicity as a threat but more of a challenge to themself - in a good way.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:20 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
It's long been known that Asians are discriminated against in the college admission process.
Yeah, when I saw the thread's title, my first thought was "isn't this old news?" I went to a private prep school for middle & high school, which had an Asian population of around 40% - and being a competitive prep school, a good percentage of us (all races) were Ivy-bound and/or qualifying. We all knew the Asian students would have a slight disadvantage in being accepted, while certain other minorities would have a slight edge... and this was back in the early-mid '90s, so it's been a known issue for many years now. If somebody was really worried they'd often check another race in the application, or leave that question blank, but the best students still got in regardless of their ethnicity.

I wouldn't say "nobody cares," since I heard my share of complaints about this subject in high school. I think they just don't know what to do about it, aside from neglecting to check Asian as their ethnicity... as colleges are legally allowed to have racial quotas, and apparently some limit their Asian acceptances in an attempt to increase diversity. Is that right? Well, I applaud the effort to diversify, but wish it wasn't at the expense of other deserving students.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 AM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times
While Whites are busy high-fiving asians for finally "experiencing" what it feels like to be discriminated and banding together against blacks and hispanics, its important to understand that the number of qualified blacks/hispanics/native americans/other who go on to apply to a given school is tiny compared to the number of white and asian applicants, often in the single digits percentage wise. For more expensive and more selective schools, the number of asian applicants rejected in favor of WHITES may be several times higher than the number of black/hispanic/native american students COMBINED who actually get accepted and attend the school. @ UC Berkely in 2009, 129 blacks, 19 American indians and 477 hispanic students actually enrolled in the university during the fall. This is compared to 1829 asians and 1321 whites. Yes, UC isn't allowed to admit based on race, but regardless the number of individuals who are accepted from minority backgrounds who go on to enroll is, somewhat trivial as far as numbers go.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novasteve View Post
Asians are self reliant, liberals have no use for them other than for them to pay taxes.
Strange. Why are they overwhelmingly liberal then?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
1. Have Asians sued or made any kind of a mass protest against this discrimination?

2. I love that Asians know that there is any workaround for this. The only racial group in the United States that requires proof of ancestry is Native American. Otherwise you really can check whichever box you want. If Soledad O'brien can claim to be black what's to stop them?
Post of the week.

No one is discriminating against Asians for the most part in college admissions. And if they are, they aren't doing anymore so than they're doing it for any other racial group. Probably less if anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies