Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:52 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times

Advertisements

The cash-strapped U.S. government could start saving $39,000 per student of military families by sending them to public schools -- if only the proposal could get a vote.

Read more: Coburn Criticizes Senate For Blocking Proposal To Cut $39G Cost Per Student On Military Bases | Fox News

Seems that the most we spend, in regular public schools, for every other student is around 20000 per student, even in the highest income districts.

Yet the military spends 51000 per student, and other Republicans won't even let the bill come on the floor.

I love the military, I served myself, but we don't need to pay an extra 30000 dollars per student on them. Tom Coburn is right, and one of the last real conservatives in the House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 04:54 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,586,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The cash-strapped U.S. government could start saving $39,000 per student of military families by sending them to public schools -- if only the proposal could get a vote.

Read more: Coburn Criticizes Senate For Blocking Proposal To Cut $39G Cost Per Student On Military Bases | Fox News

Seems that the most we spend, in regular public schools, for every other student is around 20000 per student, even in the highest income districts.

Yet the military spends 51000 per student, and other Republicans won't even let the bill come on the floor.

I love the military, I served myself, but we don't need to pay an extra 30000 dollars per student on them. Tom Coburn is right, and one of the last real conservatives in the House.
Doesn't the government stand for the other 30000 when you apply privately to a public school?

Old 11-30-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Doesn't the government stand for the other 30000 when you apply privately to a public school?

On average, the United States government pays about 20,000 dollars a year, per student, in all public schools across the country.

Thats schools, teachers, food, books, computers, etc.

Students on military bases get about 51000 on average.

Doesn't make sense, let them go to the public school in the area and save about 1 billion dollars over 5 years. I know its a drop in the bucket, but you've got to start somewhere.

And his fellow Republicans won't even allow it to come on the floor for a vote.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,150,110 times
Quote:

It definitely seems to be a boon for military parents/kids. I myself have never took advantage of it, but every person i've ever talked to with children in DOD schools have ranted and raved about the benefits. Perhaps Coburn is on to something here.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,962,174 times
Quote:

In fairness, I have been in the military and I have never seen a military school. I wonder why they were ever started and what is the reason to have them. The article does not mention any counter argument to closing the schools. Just curious. Seems to be part of the story is missing, but this is Fox.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
In fairness, I have been in the military and I have never seen a military school. I wonder why they were ever started and what is the reason to have them. The article does not mention any counter argument to closing the schools. Just curious. Seems to be part of the story is missing, but this is Fox.

Eglin has them, and less then a mile away in Valp, there is a public school right outside the east gate.

Waste of tax payer money. I want students to have the best education possible, but if 20K is good enough for my children, then its good enough for those on base.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:04 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,217,882 times
Before we start chipping away at the American military family lets find and deport all illegals, stop all foreign aid and get rid of the graft and corruption in welfare and Medicare/Medicaid...

People seem to forget the military could die for their country, they don't work 8 to 5 jobs, they have to endure more hardships then Joe Blow down the street.

Want to save money in education?

Then demand some type of ROI from public schools and get rid of the Teachers Union....

Old 11-30-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Before we start chipping away at the American military family lets find and deport all illegals, stop all foreign aid and get rid of the graft and corruption in welfare and Medicare/Medicaid...

No one is suggesting giving military children any less of an education then the rest of the country gets.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:06 PM

386 posts, read 232,875 times
Quote:

There aren't a lot of public schools on military bases, or in many cases even near, and who would want quality military kids in the crap environment liberalism has turned our public schools into. It's a drop in the bucket. Another sifting out the wheat to get to the chaff, post.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:07 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,677,230 times
There would still be a need for DoD schools on military installations overseas.

Also, do you think it is fair that if a military base is situated in a really crappy area (Andrews AFB is one of them) that the military kids should have to deal with horrible schools because they got sent there? I would not be happy if my kids had to attend public schools in that area. But, Andrews AFB kids have long been sent to off-base public schools and many military installations have gotten rid of DoD on-base schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies