Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:36 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because the issue of how they would be paid for should have been discussed and settled when they got extended by the Dem Congress end of 2010.

They are now the Obama tax cuts and there was no discussion of how they would be paid for starting 1/1/2011.
Well actually they should have been discussed and settled when they were done under Bush. If that had been done, there would be no open issue now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 12:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well actually they should have been discussed and settled when they were done under Bush. If that had been done, there would be no open issue now.
Actually, if they hadn't been extended there would be no issue.

And btw..how is the payroll tax cut being paid for ?

Old 12-04-2011, 12:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
The Bush tax cuts are the "new normal." People have become used to them and have come to count on them. Taking them away would hurt the average person a lot more than taking away the short-term payroll tax cuts.

Not to mention that the payroll tax cuts simply take money away from Social Security and, being so temporary, have little economic benefit.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The Bush tax cuts are the "new normal." People have become used to them and have come to count on them. Taking them away would hurt the average person a lot more than taking away the short-term payroll tax cuts.

Not to mention that the payroll tax cuts simply take money away from Social Security and, being so temporary, have little economic benefit.
They are only temporary if we don't make them permanent. I don't know about you, but it does not take me long to get used to having $1,000 in my pocket. I got used to that really quickly and the very first pay check without the deduction people will notice.

There should be a card attached to everyone's paycheck...merry christmas from the Republican Party. Sorry about taking the money, but you did not need it anyway.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:46 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Since so much money has not gone into the Social Security Trust Fund doesn't it mean that the fund will go bust alot sooner than predicted?
Will the money not being contributed by workers affect the calculations of wages contributed for future benefits? There's almost one year of no
contributions.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
They are only temporary if we don't make them permanent.
Absolutely.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but it does not take me long to get used to having $1,000 in my pocket. I got used to that really quickly and the very first pay check without the deduction people will notice.
If they go away after one more year or two more years, then when people don't have that extra $1,000, everything will just go back to the way it was before. In fact, it could be worse. But, if we agree that they should be permanent, then this is moot.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Absolutely.

If they go away after one more year or two more years, then when people don't have that extra $1,000, it'll just go back to the way it was before. In fact, it could be worse. But, if we agree that they should be permanent, then this is moot.
Well then we agree. They should be permanent, and I think we can also agree the best way to pay for them is eliminate the SS cap. Good fiscal policy.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:55 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
It's a myth that tax cuts have to be "paid for".

Typically, reducing tax rates stimulates the economy in such a way that growth in business results. This is because investors have more money to invest. Investing in business is good. When businesses expand, jobs are created, and thus there are more taxpayers paying into the system. This is why cutting tax rates almost always results in more revenue to the Federal governmemt.

When Obama, under duress, agreed to extend the Bush era tax rates, instead of letting them expire, all he really did was to agree not to raise taxes. Obama did not cut taxes.

Cutting the payroll tax, however, is different. The Payroll tax is supposed to pay for Social Security. If we are reducing the amount taken in to pay for an already bankrupt system, and continue to pay out the same, the difference has to come from somewhere.

Further, those employees who have had their payroll taxes cut are going to see (some day) a reduction in their benefits, because the benefit amount depends on what you have paid in. I'm sure many people do not realize this.

Our real problem is spending. Spending has increased dramatically under Obama, and they continue to spend.

As many have said, "we do not have a revenue problem; we have a spending problem."

Old 12-04-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It's a myth that tax cuts have to be "paid for".

Typically, reducing tax rates stimulates the economy in such a way that growth in business results. This is because investors have more money to invest. Investing in business is good. When businesses expand, jobs are created, and thus there are more taxpayers paying into the system. This is why cutting tax rates almost always results in more revenue to the Federal governmemt.
Exactly, up to a certain point.

Quote:
Further, those employees who have had their payroll taxes cut are going to see (some day) a reduction in their benefits, because the benefit amount depends on what you have paid in. I'm sure many people do not realize this.
But this is moot for most of us who are younger than, say, 50-55 now. Most of us will never see those benefits anyway.

Quote:
Our real problem is spending. Spending has increased dramatically under Obama, and they continue to spend.

As many have said, "we do not have a revenue problem; we have a spending problem."
Agreed.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 12-04-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
What a novel concept, which seems to have gone out the door at the beginning of Reagan's presidency and hasn't been done since. Of course now that we have a Democrat in office...lets change everything. When we started the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, where was Bush saying that we need to cut spending in other places to pay for the war or raise taxes to pay for the wars. I am all for pay as you go, but this has not been a republican plan for sometime.
I have seen the graph from the OMB that shows the effect of the wars (Iraq, Afghanistan) on spending. While spending increased slightly, the graph clearly shows the spending skyrocketing under Obama.

He can use the excuse of the two wars all he wants, but the war spending isn't the reason we are in the position that we are in today. We are in this position because of Obama's spending. Period!

Obama is an incompetent boob, who has no business experience and has no idea how an economy works. He doesn't understand economics. The man is a complete and utter failure and a total idiot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies