Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times

Advertisements

So what?

How many horseshoe/saddle manufacturers and stable owners went out of business when the automobile was invented?

We can't stop progress. and we can't continue to pay people for nothing.

I'm certain that UPS and Fed Ex will be growing. (whether they want the dead weight of postal employees is another story!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 09:41 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So what?

How many horseshoe/saddle manufacturers and stable owners went out of business when the automobile was invented?

I'm certain that UPS and Fed Ex will be growing. (whether they want the dead weight of postal employees is another story!)
You didn't even read the article. UPS and FedEx will never be able to deliver to every address. They are not even interested in trying. The up-front costs would be so high, they would never see a ROI.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:52 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Like I said before. Probably can't even lift a tub of flats.

People think this job is so easy until they try it for themselves. I've had new hires for RCA come in, ride the route with me, get car sick and quit the same day. I've had them quit because "they didn't think it would be this much work."
As the low man on the totem pole, I was getting stuck running Express Mail for 5 zips -- Christmas morning I was in one of the crappiest areas picking up the EMs while my little one opened presents without me . Mothers Day I walked up to one door bearing a package and the woman who answered the door yelled at me as I asked her to sigh because her son sentbthae package instead of being there. I got back in the LLV and held back tears because I would rather have spent the morning home with my son as opposed to delivering boxes to nasty women.

My very first day ever out in the LLV, I was parked to the side in a garden apartment complex and was delivering to the rental office when I heard a metallic thunk.I came out and saw my front left pot lid was on the ground. I called the supervisor who was all set to fire me -- despite the rental office woman telling him I was in her office. An old woman crept up and admitted to hitting the LLV, saving my job.

Prior to being hired by the PO, I worked for two MDs and a DO. I was a certified phlebotomist, ECG and holter monitor tech. I was also taught CP?t & ICD-9. The pay was better than the PO, the hours much better. I got holidays off, worked in a climate controlled office year round, had Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays off. I didn't get health insurance or retirement which is why I opted for a job where I worked outside tear round, dealt with people yelling at me when I was, in their opinion, late, because I was delivering excess from the regular LC's route, when I was snapped at for not carrying stamps to sell, when they complained to my supervisor that I didn't deliver a parcel to the door while their rottwieler ran lose in the front yard. I was written up because I couldn't prove there was a growling dog out there when the supervisor came out and took the parcel from me.

Many days I was in cold rain wishing I kept the easy doctor's office job, but I had a young child and a future to think of.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:45 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So what?

Look, this is real simple: Get Congress the hell out of the way.

You can't buy stock in the USPS because it is a private corporation. It's also not-for-profit. I mention that only so that everyone is freaking clear on the concept.

Funny how everyone wants not-for-profit "health insurance" (snicker) companies, but somehow a not-for-profit communication system is bad.

The basic problem is this:

1) Congress mandates that the USPS must handle bulk mail, like junk mail. That, in and of itself is not inherently an evil thing but...

2) Congress also mandates the rates that USPS can charge to handle bulk mail, like junk-mail, and those rates are below market costs and...

3) Because the costs are below market, the USPS loses its friggin' shirt trying to process and deliver bulk mail like junk-mail.

Does everyone get it now?

Imagine manufacturing something that costs $1.00 for labor, parts, overhead, taxes etc and then Congress tells you that you can only sell it for $0.17.

How in the hell are you supposed to make a profit?

Hell, you can't even break even.

The USPS has done everything it can possibly do. It even built special facilities to do nothing but process junk-mail that is delivered at below market rates because the jackasses in Congress said so.

We have the the Sharonville Bulk Mail Processing Center here, and it does nothing but junk-mail 24/7.

At below market rates.

And why is that? Because PACs and lobbyists bribed, oops, uh, sorry, lobbied Congress for special rates.

If Congress would stop mucking things up, the USPS would charge fair market rates for junk-mail. And since it would cost more, and there would no longer be any advantage, a lot of junk-mail would cease to be, and your mail box wouldn't be cluttered with garbage.

And then the USPS would break even, if not make a small profit.

And then the idiotic pension plan thing. The USPS is the only freaking pension plan in the United States that has to be funded to that level. Congress won't even force itself to fund its pension plan or the pension plan for federal employees or the military at that level, but it forces the USPS to do so.

What kind of nonsense is that?

And what, you all think FedEx and UPS are going to deliver a letter for $0.45?

Not gonna happen.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:07 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
You didn't even read the article. UPS and FedEx will never be able to deliver to every address. They are not even interested in trying. The up-front costs would be so high, they would never see a ROI.
Then here's a crazy idea- if you desire to live in some far-off, rural location, maybe it should be up to you to pick up your mail at a more reasonable locale. Back before the USPS started carrying mail to every Tom, Dick, and Harry, that's the way it was done. If you don't want to have to do so, you can pay to have it delivered to your doorstep.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
They can't because mail doesn't just stop on weekends. Mail arrives at the post office every single day. If they don't deliver mail on weekends, they will have a larger volume to deliver on Mondays. That means they will need to hire more people and buy more vehicles to handle that extra load. It may not necessarily save them any money.
They don't hire extra people when the post offices are closed for holidays. They suck it up and deal with it the next day.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:16 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
There are so many places to cut, but hey , this is a start.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
They don't hire extra people when the post offices are closed for holidays. They suck it up and deal with it the next day.
Actualy the mail rolls 7 days a week, even thou its only delivered on 6 ( should be 5)

Old 12-05-2011, 06:17 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Then here's a crazy idea- if you desire to live in some far-off, rural location, maybe it should be up to you to pick up your mail at a more reasonable locale. Back before the USPS started carrying mail to every Tom, Dick, and Harry, that's the way it was done. If you don't want to have to do so, you can pay to have it delivered to your doorstep.
Going back boxes at the post office would be the solution. Eliminate curbside delivery and the postal service would save billions by retiring all the delivery trucks and carriers.

The post offices are mandated in the Constitution.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:40 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
but they may just not like you.
Karma's a b**ch I guess.

Maybe the real possibility of losing their job will get them in a better mood for customer service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies