Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
First class mail is going to take longer.
Closing down distribution centers.
Closing down local post offices.
Up to 100K may be layed off.
Mail going up to $.45 (previously announced).

Postal cuts to slow delivery of first-class mail - Yahoo! News
Welcome to the real world. Where if you're not profitable, you lose employees. Where you can't run to the govt to bail you out unless you're a campaign donor. Where you can't rely on doomsday scenarios to keep your unprofitable business open. Where you can pay your top guy outrageous bonuses, but because you're not wall street, it's all OK.

I lost my job almost 2 years ago. Austerity came to the business I worked for and I lost my job.

See, that's how it works in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 06:59 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Even with these cuts, they will still be losing like 7 billion a year.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
They can't because mail doesn't just stop on weekends. Mail arrives at the post office every single day. If they don't deliver mail on weekends, they will have a larger volume to deliver on Mondays. That means they will need to hire more people and buy more vehicles to handle that extra load. It may not necessarily save them any money.
I work next door to a post office. They are closed on Saturdays. Yup, I mailed a letter on Friday. It sat there all weekend. Then the carrier had to deliver it on Monday.

Most of us have a lot of work to catch up on Monday mornings. Private businesses just WORK HARDER. I know, a difficult concept for postal workers. You know, the "I'm going on my break. Again." postal worker.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:06 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Look, this is real simple: Get Congress the hell out of the way.

You can't buy stock in the USPS because it is a private corporation. It's also not-for-profit. I mention that only so that everyone is freaking clear on the concept.

Funny how everyone wants not-for-profit "health insurance" (snicker) companies, but somehow a not-for-profit communication system is bad.

The basic problem is this:

1) Congress mandates that the USPS must handle bulk mail, like junk mail. That, in and of itself is not inherently an evil thing but...

2) Congress also mandates the rates that USPS can charge to handle bulk mail, like junk-mail, and those rates are below market costs and...

3) Because the costs are below market, the USPS loses its friggin' shirt trying to process and deliver bulk mail like junk-mail.

Does everyone get it now?

Imagine manufacturing something that costs $1.00 for labor, parts, overhead, taxes etc and then Congress tells you that you can only sell it for $0.17.

How in the hell are you supposed to make a profit?

Hell, you can't even break even.

The USPS has done everything it can possibly do. It even built special facilities to do nothing but process junk-mail that is delivered at below market rates because the jackasses in Congress said so.

We have the the Sharonville Bulk Mail Processing Center here, and it does nothing but junk-mail 24/7.

At below market rates.

And why is that? Because PACs and lobbyists bribed, oops, uh, sorry, lobbied Congress for special rates.

If Congress would stop mucking things up, the USPS would charge fair market rates for junk-mail. And since it would cost more, and there would no longer be any advantage, a lot of junk-mail would cease to be, and your mail box wouldn't be cluttered with garbage.

And then the USPS would break even, if not make a small profit.

And then the idiotic pension plan thing. The USPS is the only freaking pension plan in the United States that has to be funded to that level. Congress won't even force itself to fund its pension plan or the pension plan for federal employees or the military at that level, but it forces the USPS to do so.

What kind of nonsense is that?

And what, you all think FedEx and UPS are going to deliver a letter for $0.45?

Not gonna happen.
Yet again, a huge problem is caused and worsened by government.

When will we learn?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Look, this is real simple: Get Congress the hell out of the way.

You can't buy stock in the USPS because it is a private corporation. It's also not-for-profit. I mention that only so that everyone is freaking clear on the concept.

Funny how everyone wants not-for-profit "health insurance" (snicker) companies, but somehow a not-for-profit communication system is bad.

The basic problem is this:

1) Congress mandates that the USPS must handle bulk mail, like junk mail. That, in and of itself is not inherently an evil thing but...

2) Congress also mandates the rates that USPS can charge to handle bulk mail, like junk-mail, and those rates are below market costs and...

3) Because the costs are below market, the USPS loses its friggin' shirt trying to process and deliver bulk mail like junk-mail.

Does everyone get it now?

Imagine manufacturing something that costs $1.00 for labor, parts, overhead, taxes etc and then Congress tells you that you can only sell it for $0.17.

How in the hell are you supposed to make a profit?

Hell, you can't even break even.

The USPS has done everything it can possibly do. It even built special facilities to do nothing but process junk-mail that is delivered at below market rates because the jackasses in Congress said so.

We have the the Sharonville Bulk Mail Processing Center here, and it does nothing but junk-mail 24/7.

At below market rates.

And why is that? Because PACs and lobbyists bribed, oops, uh, sorry, lobbied Congress for special rates.

If Congress would stop mucking things up, the USPS would charge fair market rates for junk-mail. And since it would cost more, and there would no longer be any advantage, a lot of junk-mail would cease to be, and your mail box wouldn't be cluttered with garbage.

And then the USPS would break even, if not make a small profit.

And then the idiotic pension plan thing. The USPS is the only freaking pension plan in the United States that has to be funded to that level. Congress won't even force itself to fund its pension plan or the pension plan for federal employees or the military at that level, but it forces the USPS to do so.

What kind of nonsense is that?

And what, you all think FedEx and UPS are going to deliver a letter for $0.45?

Not gonna happen.
EXACTLY!!! If anyone has a question, simply read the post quoted above. Yet clueless dopes on this site still think they know better. The USPS is not even supposed to turn a profit. It was never meant to turn a profit. It is a SERVICE. The military doesn't turn a profit. What hell...let's get rid of it!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:02 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Going back boxes at the post office would be the solution. Eliminate curbside delivery and the postal service would save billions by retiring all the delivery trucks and carriers.

The post offices are mandated in the Constitution.
Newer developments and small office parks have been getting assigned cluster boxes for years in an effort to cut down street time. I had one woman complain that she had to walk two whole houses! to get her mail.

Locally, I've noticed a great deal of promotion to get people to switch to PO Box service. The local PO has the box area open M-F 5:15 AM - 5:15 PM and Saturday from 5:15AM - 3:15 PM that's plenty of time to pick up one's mail. I find it convenient.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 AM

Let's say the USPS did away with delivery and gave everyone a PO box. Do you think you could fit every PO box in the current size post office's? Maybe a few places, but most places would have to be expanded or new offices built. That would cost billions, so you might as well stick with delivery.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Let's say the USPS did away with delivery and gave everyone a PO box. Do you think you could fit every PO box in the current size post office's? Maybe a few places, but most places would have to be expanded or new offices built. That would cost billions, so you might as well stick with delivery.
You don't have to do it everywhere- you do it in rural areas where direct delivery to every house is not practical. If you've got a mailman driving miles between house to deliver mail, and he's only got say, 50 stops on his all-day delivery route, that's an area that screams for centralized PO boxes. I'm sure there's plenty of room at the current post office that serves that area to accomodate 50 PO boxes.

You don't do it in denser areas.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You don't have to do it everywhere- you do it in rural areas where direct delivery to every house is not practical. If you've got a mailman driving miles between house to deliver mail, and he's only got say, 50 stops on his all-day delivery route, that's an area that screams for centralized PO boxes. I'm sure there's plenty of room at the current post office that serves that area to accomodate 50 PO boxes.

You don't do it in denser areas.
It would be much easier just to shut down the small, rural and/or not profitable PO's.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:02 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
I'm glad to see them go. An aquaintence just got hired for $16.80 / hr. Both her mother and father work there also. I hate the nepotisim. It's about time. RP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies