Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheists/Agnostics: Do You Celebrate Christmas?
I am an atheist and I do celebrate Christmas 36 39.13%
I am an atheist and I do not celebrate Christmas 10 10.87%
I am agnostic and I do celebrate Christmas 41 44.57%
I am agnostic and I do not celebrate Christmas 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Where do I say that New Year's is "just" about partying and getting drunk? But just to be clear, what else does it signify for you? (BTW, I have no problem with drinking and having a good time, but public intoxication is not my bag).
You said:

"New Year's. No...what's to celebrate? I don't go out partying and drinking."

That sounds like you saying New Year's is just about partying and getting drunk. Or did you mean to add more to your remark about why you don't celebrate it?

What does it signify for me? It signifies the end of the past year, an opportunity to reflect on the events of that year, its successess and its failures, and it signifies the beginning of a new year, an opportunity to define goals, to re-affirm commitments and promises, it's a special day, represented by Janus, the Roman deity with two faces, one looking back at the past and one looking forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:56 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY! - whether you like it or not! Besides - a blessing is a blessing and you might as well take it.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:56 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Many Jewish holidays are based on Old Testament/The Talmud traditions. I don't see how these would not be aligned with Christian beliefs since Christianity has its roots in Judaism.

Also, in my office we are closed on MLK Day and 4th of July. A couple of my co-workers do actually come to work on MLK Day in particular because they don't feel it is a real holiday. And if you do not go to work and take the day off it is a celebration since you aren't working and can do what you want with your family.
Whether some things are aligned or not, I don't observe holidays that are a part of another religion. The thought to worship on these holidays would be very odd and hypocritical of me.

celebration: The action of marking one's pleasure at an important event or occasion by engaging in enjoyable, typically social activity.

On MLK Day, I don't go to visit his memorial, listen to his speech, etc. On 4th of July, I don't read over the Declaration of Independence, visit the Liberty Bell, etc. Of course, these are not days that belong to another religious group, so even if I did, there would be no conflict.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
There we go. I figured it would only be a matter of time before you outed yourself. Now stop being so holier than thou. Not sure how anyone can think that being an as$hole would convince someone to join their religion.
What exactly did you out? Do you honestly not understand the difference?

I don't participate in holidays that are connected with other religious groups. I don't observe Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc holidays.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Whether some things are aligned or not, I don't observe holidays that are a part of another religion. The thought to worship on these holidays would be very odd and hypocritical of me.

celebration: The action of marking one's pleasure at an important event or occasion by engaging in enjoyable, typically social activity.

On MLK Day, I don't go to visit his memorial, listen to his speech, etc. On 4th of July, I don't read over the Declaration of Independence, visit the Liberty Bell, etc. Of course, these are not days that belong to another religious group, so even if I did, there would be no conflict.
When you got married, did you exchange wedding rings?

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
Quote:

But that's not what you said. Here, in your own words:

Quote:
The only holidays I observe are Christmas and Resurrection Sunday. I don't celebrate any non-Christian holidays (including Halloween).
Either you celebrate or you don't. It's really that simple.

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:

But haven't we already established that christmas traditions are rooted in paganism? Sounds to me like you're celebrating a pagan holiday. You may have added a little jesus flavoring to it, but the traditions that you and most of the nonreligious here partake in are pagan rituals.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You said:

"New Year's. No...what's to celebrate? I don't go out partying and drinking."

That sounds like you saying New Year's is just about partying and getting drunk. Or did you mean to add more to your remark about why you don't celebrate it?

What does it signify for me? It signifies the end of the past year, an opportunity to reflect on the events of that year, its successess and its failures, and it signifies the beginning of a new year, an opportunity to define goals, to re-affirm commitments and promises, it's a special day, represented by Janus, the Roman deity with two faces, one looking back at the past and one looking forward.
I acknowledge that New Year's marks the start of a new year. But to say that New Year's is not about drinking, partying and bringing in the new year is disingenuous. But, let's agree to disagree on this one. I must have missed the religious component to this day somewhere along the way.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
Not many are true Christians anyway. Christmas is a humanistic ritual where people overspend, overdrink, and overeat. Rinse and repeat. The question of faith is irrelevant to me. Most people are hypocrits.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
But that's not what you said. Here, in your own words:

Either you celebrate or you don't. It's really that simple.
I guess I should've been more clear. I meant the only religious holidays I celebrate are Christmas and Resurrection. I don't recognize or observe holidays that are from different faiths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies